Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior > Cat behavior forum - cat training

Old March 18th, 2010, 05:31 PM

Need Help, New Kitten !

Hello,

I just recently bought a cat yesterday, shes 4 months old.
When i saw her at the shelter she was very calm, didn't mind being held and was active and not shy.

When i brought her to the house she was VERY VERY scared, she ran straight under my bed. Later in the day i put my hand under the bed she came up to my hand and wanted to be pet and purred, but she still hasnt come out from under the bed. So ive been spending time with her and she has come out and come on the bed to me and purrs and loves to be pet and does that thing where she pushes her paws into me.

The only thing is when i brought her out to to show her the litter and just placed her down on the hallway she paused, and ran really quickly back under the bed, i don't understand why she's so scared of the house but can come out of the bed in the room.

She's also afraid of any noises.

Also would it be a factor that she had a sister and the fact that she got separated from her.

I understand that shes new the home and stuff, but it just so frustrating and breaks my heart to see her like that, hiding under the bed, wont come out, doesn't wonder the house.

Here are some photos of her under the bed:

Old March 18th, 2010, 06:18 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

What a little sweetie!! I love black kitties!! Oh heck, I love kitties!!
Maybe this thread can help you a little.

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=68501

You need to let the kitty move at her own speed. Litter box, food and water should be in the same room as she is.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!

Last edited by 14+kitties; March 18th, 2010 at 08:40 PM. Reason: ooops, called kitty he, not she
Old March 18th, 2010, 08:33 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh my goodness, she's adorable!

Give it some time, she'll be running around like a maniac before you know it. Cats like routine, and hers has just been turned upside and inside out. Hang out with her, talk to her, give her some treats, and most of all, be patient. Like 14+ mentioned, keep litter/food/bedding all in the one room so that it's her safe-haven until she feels more confident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatSTAR View Post
Also would it be a factor that she had a sister and the fact that she got separated from her.
Any possibility you could also adopt her sister? Cats really do like the company of other cats, especially siblings. In fact, some shelters won't even let you adopt a kitten unless you take 2. It's good for their social development, gives them more exercise, and provides them with company when you aren't home. Plus, you can't beat the entertainment value of 2 kittens playing.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old March 18th, 2010, 09:14 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Oh, she's a little doll, CatSTAR!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old March 19th, 2010, 12:20 AM

Often times kittens/cats new to a home will do much of their first exploring at night when there are fewer "scary" new noises/movements.

She's adorable

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old March 19th, 2010, 12:51 AM
Live well, laugh often

Congrats on your new addition, she is very cute . I agree with the others to just relax and let the kitten get comfortable and before you know it she will be wreaking havoc all over your home .
Old March 19th, 2010, 02:12 AM
Senior Contributor

Awww. She looks like a sweetheart. She's reacting quite normally for a cat in a new environment. The fact that she still wants to be petted and is friendly is a good sign.. Put her litterbox food and water in whatever room she's in and she should settle in just fine.

Remember that she just came from a shelter environment where she was confined to a small space (how long was she there btw?). You've just placed her in a HUGE area that's completely foreign to her so it's normal for a cat to bed down somewhere dark and quiet to settle in.

Don't be surprised if when you go to bed you wake up with her up there. If she's very people oriented she will probably be much more social at night when everyone is in bed and it's quiet.
Old March 19th, 2010, 06:50 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Awww beautiful kitten

This is normal for scared kitties. Just let her come out on her own and until then, as 14+ suggested, put her food, water and litter box by the bed.

Now I love sugarcatmom's suggestion of getting her sister . Cats are very social animals.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old March 19th, 2010, 07:00 AM
Senior Contributor

What a little sweet girl
I would even suggest,if you have a pet-carrier,to put a blanket in there and maybe she'll feel safer.
If it is possible for you to adopt her sibling,that would be great..
But like the others say,give her time,cats are very curious,but also cautious,that she's cuddly is a good sign.