Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old April 19th, 2011, 07:24 PM

Bringing a new baby to a home with pets

My hubby and I are expecting our first baby this summer Very excited but as the weeks quickly fly by, I want to make sure that I have my guys (and gal) well prepped and ready to receive their little sister.

Any suggestions on what we should be doing in advance to make the transition easier on everyone?

“Dogs believe they are human. Cats believe they are God.”

"The average dog is a nicer person than the average person."
Old April 19th, 2011, 07:40 PM
Senior Contributor

some will tell you to use a doll in a blanket to get the pets use to seeing you with something in your arms, let them smell a baby blanket and teach them to give it and the "doll" space. but when I was expecting my first, 27 yrs ago, I did none of that, I just brought in the baby, set the seater on the floor and supervised the dogs/cats with her and it was all good.....
congrats on the pregnancy!!
Old April 19th, 2011, 10:19 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

No kids, so no advice, but congratulations, Masha!!!!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old April 19th, 2011, 11:41 PM

I also have no kids so no advice, but want to offer congratulations as well!
Old April 20th, 2011, 08:20 AM
Senior Contributor

Congrats Masha! When are you due!?

We read a lot of things as well about introducing baby to kitties and the pooches; but the only thing we ended up even doing was bringing home my daughters blanket from the hospital so the dogs could smell it.

We did have the added advantage of knowing that our dogs were well behaved around babies - and that would be my only real tip. If your dogs have never been around little ones (and I don't mean kids, I mean babies) it will only be to your benefit to seek some out and start introducing your dogs to their sounds, uncoordinated movements, etc.

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old April 20th, 2011, 11:55 AM
Senior Contributor

I've read that you should send a t-shirt home from the hospital ahead of the baby (one that the baby has worn and carries his/her scent). I've also heard people say that placing this in the dog's bed or special place will give the dog the idea that the baby is considered alpha.

I have NO idea if this is true or not. It makes sense to bring the shirt home. Can't hurt, might help.

My personal feeling is that it has a lot to do with the temperament of the animal. Some will ignore the baby and some will feel protective from the get go.
Old April 20th, 2011, 12:43 PM
Senior Contributor
Space Invaders Champion, Smack the Rabbit Champion

Oh Masha, what wonderful news.

No kids, so can't give first hand advice, but had lots of friends with babies who came to visit, never did anything different, all my dogs couldn't have cared less except for one that just loved them. She had grade 3 hip dispacia, long before the operation was available, and she would get up on her back legs if you were holding a baby, she just had to give the baby a little lick.

The blanket from the hospital will probably be a good thing to do. I am sure you will not have any problems.

Owned by

Bree 12 year old GSD
Keesha 8 year old GSD
Cyrus 7 year old GSD

RIP: All my angels.
Old April 20th, 2011, 07:53 PM
Doggie Wench

Congratulations !!!

Legacy's Terry Ryan has developed CDs that help desensitize dogs to different sounds, one being the sounds of babies...

http://www.dogwise.com/itemdetails.cfm?ID=DTB865
Old April 20th, 2011, 09:56 PM

Thanks guys!!

Great advice -- we want to start preparing ahead of time so that there is less stress on everyone when the day comes, so bring it on, the more advice the better!!

One of my worries with Jermy is that he is just so big, and a baby is so small... even when he smells something, he tends to poke it with his nose and his big head can be too much for a small baby... the kitties have been reinforcing to him that when he sniffs too roughly he gets a smack on the head, but still... he is also a bit 'clumsy', if he is busy playing with a toy he may fling it all over the house, bump into things while playing, etc...

we tought him the 'careful' command, but it was in relation to taking treats/object from our hands... not something that would apply to the baby i woudl think

Jermy loves people, kids, etc. so I am not really worried about him being unwelcoming, more like i am worried of him being a bit too excited and too welcoming about this fun new thing that makes fun noises and occasionally makes poop smells (which is a big yummy for Jermy )

I am also worried that he may feel jealous, etc. when there will be this new 'thing' in the house that he is not allowed to play with or to 'check out' too much... I want him to associate the baby with good things and good times, not with 'this is the time mom wont let me help'.. he has been our big baby for almost 4 years and participates in EVERYTHING we do, so i am worried he will be upset when he wont be allowed in the nursery, etc. (I dunno, i may be over analyzing this but he is my baby too and i dont want him to be upset)

Old April 20th, 2011, 10:26 PM
Senior Contributor

Good luck with the baby. I am sure the dog will adapt...

There ain't no cure for stupid ...... but we should make sure we laugh and point it out to everyone else
Old April 22nd, 2011, 08:14 AM
Senior Contributor

The most important thing is that you and hubby must be relaxed. We had a four year old (our first dog and yes she was our spoiled baby). Then one day due to family problems my 15 month old niece came to stay for a couple of weeks.

We were amazed, Sheba would play tug of war with the little one and not even pull her off her feet. She would pull us off the couch playing tug of war.

Then one time our niece kicked her at the base of the tale with her little hard boots. Sheba let out a yelp and that was it. Our nieces father grabbed her and was telling her not to do that to the dog and Sheba came over and got inbetween them to protect our niece. She was quite a girl.

I am sure that even though Jermy is your baby, he knows the rules and you know him. I think he will surprize you.

Owned by

Bree 12 year old GSD
Keesha 8 year old GSD
Cyrus 7 year old GSD

Old April 22nd, 2011, 08:24 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Maybe pm Ford Girl or Tommys'Mom. They've both had babies recently with long time pet members. I'm sure they can give you tips. When I had my babies I only had one kitty (hard to believe, I know) who was very good with them all.
Great news too btw! Congrats!!

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old September 6th, 2011, 02:21 PM

Update

Want to give a quick update on our household:

I gave birth to baby Jaida two weeks ago and hubby brought one of her blankets home while I was still in the hospital for Jermy and the kitties to smell. When we got home we let Jermy sniff her feet and gave treats and lots of praise to him when he was around her. He was a bit excited at first (mostly to see me after being away for a few days) but after a few days the novelty wore off for him and he relaxed near his sister.

Now, he often comes to lie by my feet or next to me on the couch when i am breastfeeding, and he will just lie next to us and watch her he has this calm gaze when he looks at her....

The first few times when he heard her cry he sat and 'cried' too.... probably thinking 'oh god what is this annoying sound'

The kitties couldnt care less about her, but they really like her new gear (Monkey likes to lie in her bouncy chair when she is not in it )

Our household is a little crazy busy now a days but its fun

Thanks to everyone for the great advice!

Old September 6th, 2011, 02:38 PM
Senior Contributor

Congratulations to you and Mr Masha

You forgot to post pictures

I am so glad that things went well for you with the animals and the baby. Sometimes we (the humans) make too much of things therefore we create the problems.

Still waiting for pictures too pushy eh

Owned by

Bree 12 year old GSD
Keesha 8 year old GSD
Cyrus 7 year old GSD

Old September 6th, 2011, 02:46 PM
Senior Contributor

congrats Masha, we'd love to see pics of the little one
Old September 6th, 2011, 09:23 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Congratulations!!! Yes, yes, yes! We must have pics!!! But I know things are crazy there right now, so we can probably wait another 4 or 5...minutes... Just kidding, but please don't make us wait too long, k?

Yay for the introductions going so smoothly!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old September 6th, 2011, 10:34 PM
Mickey, my angel

Congratulations on the new family member. Glad to hear everyone is adjusting well.

I too am looking forward to some pics.
"Let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." -Jack Layton
"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi

Kitties: Punky (17), and Sassy (13), Twinky (10),

SweetMickey 1991 to May 24, 2009
Old September 6th, 2011, 11:16 PM

Congrats on the new baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masha View Post
(Monkey likes to lie in her bouncy chair when she is not in it )
You'll also likely find him snuggled next to her lying on one of her receiving blankets soon too

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying