Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum

Old June 7th, 2011, 12:25 PM
Senior Contributor

hubby's dr appt

hey guys wish us luck we're off to tom's dr appt today! and 14+ how many pics of the kitties did you want to see i have tons of new ones!

Cats leave pawprints on our hearts forever

Eclipse July 23th 2004
Serena July 23th 2004
Stormy April 20 2007
Zoey RIP March 2006-April 2 2007
Old June 7th, 2011, 12:48 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Hope all checks out well! (And I think you should post all the pics... )

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old June 7th, 2011, 01:10 PM
Senior Contributor

good luck and good thoughts
Old June 7th, 2011, 04:28 PM
Senior Contributor

Good Luck today,although I am a bit late...and as for kitten-pics,I'll answer for 14+,all of them
Old June 7th, 2011, 06:06 PM
Senior Contributor

Tom, good luck tomorrow and I concur with Chico..."all" will be fine!!!!
Old June 7th, 2011, 09:14 PM
Senior Contributor

everyone! ok i will work on shrinking most of the pics as my camera takes big file size pics.

So hubby's appt went fine. His kidney function did drop a bit more but he's still feeling good so no dialysis yet. we talked to the dr more today about his type of disease and apparently the disease he has is a bit of a rare one. he leaks protein into his urine which is what caused his kidney damage in the first place. apparently also whats surprising for him is he's been at stage 5 for almost a year and a half. apparently with younger people such as him kidneys fail faster because of high metabolism. so the dr is still surprised he has hung on as long as he has . so we go another 8 weeks before we see her again unless he doesn't feel good then back in we go for blood work and go from there.

thanks all for well wishes and hugs

Eclipse July 23th 2004
Serena July 23th 2004
Stormy April 20 2007
Old June 8th, 2011, 02:22 AM

Glad to hear the good news!
What percent renal function does he have now? Does he have symptoms? What meds is he on?
Old June 8th, 2011, 09:16 AM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

MMW, I'm so sorry
I must have missed the post where you originally said he was having kidney failure. You are both in my thoughts and ers! I hope he can stay well long enough to hold off on the dialysis for at least a few more months! to you both!

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old June 8th, 2011, 10:46 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

He's such a trooper, MWW! Glad he's still not to the dialysis stage, and I hope he can hold off for a long time!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old June 8th, 2011, 11:19 AM
Senior Contributor

MWW, so glad to hear that Tom's appt. went well! No doubt your love and support has helped him immensely. I'll call you soon to catch up. Hugs
Old June 8th, 2011, 12:15 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by reanne View Post
Glad to hear the good news!
What percent renal function does he have now? Does he have symptoms? What meds is he on?
He is at about 7% function at the moment. all his symptoms atm are basically internally. his parathyroid glands is acting up due to his kidney failure. he's holding water. his blood pressure is controlled by meds. some of his levels are not normal like his potassium level and his phosphorus level as well. plus a few more things. he's on like 12 meds lol. two i think for high blood pressure. one to help his parathyroid glands a water pill and others i can't think off the top of my head.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgeurts View Post
MMW, I'm so sorry
I must have missed the post where you originally said he was having kidney failure. You are both in my thoughts and ers! I hope he can stay well long enough to hold off on the dialysis for at least a few more months! to you both!
its ok rgeurts thanks for your thoughts and prayers. he's been in kidney failure for almost two years. they first thought he be on dialysis within months of finding it out cause he had such a fast deterioration. but he listens to the dr takes his meds and eats a diet so far he's been at stage five for almost a year. he will need dialysis and a transplant but now we don't know when.

Eclipse July 23th 2004
Serena July 23th 2004
Stormy April 20 2007
Old June 8th, 2011, 12:17 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Dancer View Post
MWW, so glad to hear that Tom's appt. went well! No doubt your love and support has helped him immensely. I'll call you soon to catch up. Hugs
thanks mom! i'm home all next week on vacation. well i'll have some running around to do so you can let me know a time good for you and i will let you know if its good for me would love to hear from you.

Eclipse July 23th 2004
Serena July 23th 2004
Stormy April 20 2007
Old June 8th, 2011, 12:24 PM
Senior Contributor

MWW,this was kind of good news,right??
I hope he hangs in there for a while yet,dialysis is a lifesaver for sure,but it's good is able to stay off it for nowfor a long time.
Don't forget to take care of yourself too,ok
Old June 9th, 2011, 12:33 AM

Wow only 7% function and he's not going to get dialysis, he must be doing well. That's great! Is there anything they can do about the proteinuria/did they do anything about that? Do they know what is causing that? Usually that is a sign of renal failure, not a cause-what actually caused the kidney failure, do they know exactly?

Is your husband on a special diet along with his medication (avoiding certain foods)? Does he weigh himself daily to see how much water he's retaining? He's probably on furosemide, (that's the go-to diuretic anyway) it dumps water off you really fast and can help prevent stagnant urine..

That is great that outwardly he is not having a lot of symptoms and that he is feeling good (I am guessing)? Probably he'll be a candidate for peritoneal dialysis when he does need it, and that is good because it will allow him to have a pretty normal life (including going away on vacation!!!) whereas renal dialysis can be pretty paralyzing life wise, having to spend 4hrs a day 3 or 4 days a week in dialysis. Hopefully the dialysis days are still far away. It is pretty amazing though that we can even do something like dialysis, so even though it can be life changing in bad ways, it is also life changing in good ways too.

How old is your hubby if you don't mind my asking?
Old June 14th, 2011, 07:09 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by reanne View Post
Wow only 7% function and he's not going to get dialysis, he must be doing well. That's great! Is there anything they can do about the proteinuria/did they do anything about that? Do they know what is causing that? Usually that is a sign of renal failure, not a cause-what actually caused the kidney failure, do they know exactly?

The cause of kidney failure they gave was fsgs as the disease. this is where protein leaks into the urine but from what research i have done i guess the excess protein can cause kidney damage.

Is your husband on a special diet along with his medication (avoiding certain foods)? Does he weigh himself daily to see how much water he's retaining? He's probably on furosemide, (that's the go-to diuretic anyway) it dumps water off you really fast and can help prevent stagnant urine..

yes he's on a special diet not so strict yet as i guess it can be when he starts dialysis. he does not weigh himself at this time. i check his legs where he is swelling the most with fluid and we keep an eye on his ankles as well. he is on furosemide.

That is great that outwardly he is not having a lot of symptoms and that he is feeling good (I am guessing)? Probably he'll be a candidate for peritoneal dialysis when he does need it, and that is good because it will allow him to have a pretty normal life (including going away on vacation!!!) whereas renal dialysis can be pretty paralyzing life wise, having to spend 4hrs a day 3 or 4 days a week in dialysis. Hopefully the dialysis days are still far away. It is pretty amazing though that we can even do something like dialysis, so even though it can be life changing in bad ways, it is also life changing in good ways too.

How old is your hubby if you don't mind my asking?
He at this moment doesn't want peritoneal dialysis. for a couple reason he has to lose weight which we are working on, he says he wants the experts to take care of him and we do not have the room for all the supplies needed for that nor a room that can be sterilized for him only. we have three cats and we're in a small one bedroom apt. He is 35 young for this i guess but not the youngest. We go day by day right now or i should say month to month. i try not to think to much into the future. it scares me and i need to be strong for him. currently the dr doesn't have a starting time due to his surprising respond to his diet change and meds he has become stable right now. so we'll see her at the end of july and see where that takes us. i mean if he feels sick or off we see her right away and go from there. i watch him like a mother hen.

Thanks for asking and thanks everyone for the well wishes lets hope he goes longer.

Eclipse July 23th 2004
Serena July 23th 2004
Stormy April 20 2007
Old June 17th, 2011, 02:28 AM

Glad to hear things are going well for now. You're right, he is young but not the youngest. Certainly PD won't work if you don't have the space. For people who do have the space it is appealing because it has less of an outward effect on their lives.
Taking it day by day or month by month is the best thing to do-break things off into pieces that you can deal with! However, remember that you don't always "have to be strong". Sometimes it is helpful to say "I am really scared, but I'm here for you and we'll work through this together"; being scared doesn't mean that you are not strong.
I'm not sure where you are, but see if there is a branch of the Kidney society to help support you.