Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old November 4th, 2007, 08:31 PM

Arthritis in dogs

My 9 year old German Shepherd has developed arthritis. He has been on glucosamine/chondroitin for some time but I want to start him on aspirin to make him more comfortable. My question is:can human aspirin be safely used in dogs? He is 92 lbs. so he could handle a regular 325mg. aspirin. Medications formulated specifically for dogs are expensive and I wanted to try regular aspirin if it would not be harmful to him.
Old November 5th, 2007, 03:37 AM
-

You can give a dog buffered aspirin but it is best to check with your vet for the dosage BUT I think MSM would be a better alternative. You can buy Glucosamine/Chondroitin/MSM combination in one tablet.
Old November 5th, 2007, 08:32 PM
-

Marty ~ I tried buffered children's aspirin with Ceili (age 8 who probably has had dysplasia in both her hips since puppydom, diagnosed when she was 5 and has had 2 ACL surgeries since then) ~ and I can't say it did a dang thing. When she became lame and she was xrayed, her hips were so worn away it was thought she was luxating (turned out to be an ACL tear).

She weighs a little more but not by much than your dog. I increased her Gluco+Chondroitin+MSM 1300 mg (500 mg. 400mg. 400mg, respectively) dose to 2 per day 5 days per week and 3 per day 2 days per week and have found the most AMAZING change.

She can walk for miles now instead of blocks. She wants to play and CAN. I'm still careful obviously about the playing, jumping and climbing but... I'd recommend our course of treatment any day.
Old November 6th, 2007, 12:34 PM

Thanks rainbow and mummummum for your responses. I will increase his glucosamine/chondroitin/MSM and see if that helps.

Marty
Old November 6th, 2007, 09:37 PM

I also have a 9 yr old GSD with arthritis. She had TPLO surgery for an ACL tear a few years ago. Ever since then I've been giving her Glucosamine/Chondroitin/MSM. My vet stressed the MSM part. Here's the supplement that I use for my dog....it's a liver flavored chewable that I can just give with kibble:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...8&pcatid=14068

I've also had it recommended to give fish oil as a supplement to her kibble. I've actually just figured it out and will probably order it this week. After a LOT of research, the best one I've found is this (it has EPA, DHA & vitamin E):

http://www.seapet.com/seastarrstore/...products_id=84
Old November 7th, 2007, 10:51 AM
Geek Club CEO

Ask your vet about Metacam. It's a non-steroidal anti-inflamatory/painkiller...a sweet liquid that easy to give (my cat's on it and she licks it off my hand very happily).
Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)
Old November 10th, 2007, 02:38 AM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Aspirin can work well for many dogs as can Metacam. Sometimes it's a test to try different things.

The type of arthritis and where affected plays a big roll in treatment.

Dietery changes depending on what you feed your dog can reduce inflamation and help regain mobility. Consider relooking at the 'source' of the glucosamine/chondroit combo , see if there are synthetic ingredients involved (read label carefully)

Omega fatty acids are great anti inflamatories, salmon and sardines are top on the list (canned is fine as long as it's in spring water).

Some of the ingredients in commercially prepared foods can aggrivate or even trigger an arthritis inflamatory response. Give some thought if you don't already to home prepared meals. It's actually really easy to do and not that expensive. If you can't do every meal, try atleast one home prepared meal a day.

Good luck!
Old November 18th, 2007, 05:25 PM

Another thing that I use for my arthritic dog that has been successful, in my experience, is shark cartilage. To my knowledge, it inhibits blood vessel formation and b/c arthritic inflamation requires blood vessels, it has been suggested that shark cartilage can benefit arthritic pets.

And, just as a fyi, I use many supplements and don't procure any of them from "pet" suppliers. They are MUCH cheaper if you figure out the amounts and adjust human vitamins and supplements.

E
Old November 19th, 2007, 10:09 AM
Senior Contributor

Isn't glucosamine obtained from cartilage? We just used the same tablets the DH and I took for our Lab, with our Vet's OK. The Glu. in it is derived from chicken cartilage which we prefer after reading how sharks are being slaughtered and may become endangered. Yes, we know, chickens are not treated very humanely either but at least they are not endangered.

There can be some concerns with giving Gluc., diabetes being one. Best to check on dosage with Vet first.
http://www.glucosamine-arthritis.org...reatments.html