Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old June 20th, 2007, 06:44 PM

Thumbs down Traces of euthanasia agents still found in pet foods.

From itchmo:
Quote:
Pentobarbital, a drug frequently used to euthanize pets, continues to be found in pet food. An article on AlterNet asks the question “Why is the pet food industry killing our pets?” The author, Ann Martin, writes that she is able to trace euthanized pets to rendering plant, but the FDA says that no dog or cat DNA was found. Instead, they say that “the pentobarbital residues are entering pet food from euthanized, rendered cattle and even horses.”

However, the American Journal of Veterinary Research says that horse DNA was not found in their samples of pet food and added: “Cattle are only occasionally euthanized with pentobarbital, and thus are not considered a likely source of pentobarbital in dog food.” The research can’t point the finger at pets, but casts doubt in the FDA’s answer.

The FDA is aware of pentobarbital in pet food and believes that it should not be in there. However, Dr. Stephen Sundlof of the FDA’s Center of Veterinary Medicine says they are “not planning to undertake any special enforcement efforts to detect pentobarbital in pet foods.”
Itchmo links to this article, written by Ann Martin.
Old June 21st, 2007, 02:34 PM
Senior Contributor

I read that article last week SCollie- was mortified as you can imagine!!! Just think of what we are eating as well - it's scary!! I don't want to be paranoid - I have a garden and NEVER use sprays but there is residue in the air that I cannot prevent. Arrrrrgggghhhhhhhhh!!

My mother likes to relate a story about when my older sister (their first child) was a baby. They had been feeding her powdered milk and they ran out - they lived "in the country" then shall we say so going to the market was not an option. The baby needed milk - and mothers then (This is my older sister, lol) did not tend to breastfeed. My dad said - well, we have all these cows? What about "OUR" milk? So, my mom washed one of the cow's udders - she is up there with Howard Hughes in her concern for germs, lol - and milked her and brought in the milk, ran it though their machine for pasteurization and other issues and fed the baby when the milk was ready. After that, my sister refused any other milk. So my mom decided that even the baby was smart enough to know the difference. I still drink milk ALL the time. I think about this since when I read the article you note, I also read about the junk so many farmers now put in milk - I wonder if I should get a cow for my woodlot, lol
Old June 21st, 2007, 03:02 PM
Swift Tribe

!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberKitten View Post
I read that article last week SCollie- was mortified as you can imagine!!! Just think of what we are eating as well - it's scary!! I don't want to be paranoid - I have a garden and NEVER use sprays but there is residue in the air that I cannot prevent. Arrrrrgggghhhhhhhhh!!

My mother likes to relate a story about when my older sister (their first child) was a baby. They had been feeding her powdered milk and they ran out - they lived "in the country" then shall we say so going to the market was not an option. The baby needed milk - and mothers then (This is my older sister, lol) did not tend to breastfeed. My dad said - well, we have all these cows? What about "OUR" milk? So, my mom washed one of the cow's udders - she is up there with Howard Hughes in her concern for germs, lol - and milked her and brought in the milk, ran it though their machine for pasteurization and other issues and fed the baby when the milk was ready. After that, my sister refused any other milk. So my mom decided that even the baby was smart enough to know the difference. I still drink milk ALL the time. I think about this since when I read the article you note, I also read about the junk so many farmers now put in milk - I wonder if I should get a cow for my woodlot, lol

check out this article-
http://enzymeuniversity.com/artman/p...ticle_20.shtml

we still do milk but its in small quantities for things like coffee... cereal, and its organic whole milk. cheese will be in our diet for ever and so will yogurt. but that article isnt far from my mind.

-ash
Old July 2nd, 2007, 06:58 PM
Senior Contributor

You will likely always see in lower quality of pet foods because they are not using human grade meats, human grade meaning it had to arrive healthy and alive to the slaughter and is grades for quality being fit for human consumption, there are other slaughter house meant for deadstock( could be sick or already dead went it arrives) and this is mostly sold as animals feeds

though this is a older article it can give you an idea of a couple of the companies that use deadstock in their foods

http://www.wholepetvet.com/reports/Allman_dfsurvey.htm
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." - Unknown
Old July 2nd, 2007, 07:50 PM

I would be very skeptical about reading articles written on the internet. There are often rumors going around created by people who have too much spare time. If in doubt I would ask the vet. I think that our pets are living healther and longer, because their food is better and more research is being done all the time to improve quality. If someone like Suzanne Sommers can write a book about hormones and the public believes in what they read? Since she is not a doctor or a scientist I find that there are a lot of dangers out there.
Old July 2nd, 2007, 09:16 PM

I just came across this article from 2002, where people in St Louis were upset after finding out that the local shelter sent euthanised animals to a rendering plant, possibly ending up in pet food. http://www.commondreams.org/headlines02/0106-03.htm

I also came across this quote while reading Fast Food Nation by Eric Schlosser:
Quote:
Although leading American manufacturers promise never to put rendered pets into their pet food, it is still legal to do so. A Canadian company, Sanimal Inc., was putting 40,000 pounds of dead dogs and dead cats into its dog and cat food every week, until discontinuing the practice in June 2001. "This food is healthy and good," said the company's vice president of procurement, responding to critics, "but some people don't like to see meat meal that contains any pets."
(The original story, "Canada Pet Food Firm Turns Back On Dog and Cat Meat", Reuters, June 5, 2001). When the pet food companies are actually admitting to using euthanised pets in their foods, we can no longer pretend this doesn't happen.
Old July 3rd, 2007, 07:37 AM
Working GSD Lover

I am not sure how much I would believe.

Lots of competeing pet food companies putting out faulty rumours on others.

Like the massive class action suit against Purina....I have yet to find any solid proof!

I asked the people at our local pet store {they are very up and have no problems just pulling the food of the shelf and refusing to sell it} and they have never heard of the lawsuit....

Seems another company started the rumour.
Old July 4th, 2007, 02:22 AM

Purina actually is part of a lawsuit that involves several brands of pet food, here:

http://www.defendourpets.org/petition.html

There is a PDF document of the entire suit somewhere on that site that includes several exhibits that might interest you.

I am not sure what will come of it, but I did sign their petition as I believe that our pets need as loud of a voice as possible.

I am hoping that it brings about change.
Old July 14th, 2007, 04:15 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmegshepherds View Post
I am not sure how much I would believe.

Lots of competeing pet food companies putting out faulty rumours on others.

Like the massive class action suit against Purina....I have yet to find any solid proof!

I asked the people at our local pet store {they are very up and have no problems just pulling the food of the shelf and refusing to sell it} and they have never heard of the lawsuit....

Seems another company started the rumour.

Well the link I posted had foods tested by the FDA/Center for Veterinary Medicine

To me that seems like a pretty reliable source, not just food companies bashing one another. also understanding food labeling terms helps to indentify where some of the ingredients are sourced from

The better quality foods tend to come from companies that are privately owned, when companies get bought up and there are shareholders quality declines inorder to support the shareholder. Keep an eye on Nutro is was recently been bought up by Mars, it is not a great food to start with but you can be sure it will go downhill as well
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." - Unknown

Last edited by OntarioGreys; July 14th, 2007 at 04:25 PM.
Old July 14th, 2007, 04:35 PM
-

From Ann martin's article :
I asked Dr. Stephen Sundlof, director of the FDA/CVM, what steps the organization would undertake to remove pentobarbital from all commercial foods. His reply: "This drug is not approved for use in pet food, so it should not be present in these foods. That being said, CVM is not planning to undertake any special enforcement efforts to detect pentobarbital in pet foods."

In other words "We have our heads in the sand and so should you" ??????

Lilmegshepherds and kiara ~ wake up and smell the poison. This information has been in EVERY available media outlet. And now the FDA appears willing to cover it up. They dragged their feet on melamine why would they do anything more with other toxins ? <insert smilie for "wakeup and smell the careless, inhumane self-centred greed" here>