Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old February 1st, 2010, 05:49 PM

Not sure what to make of this interaction with breeder...is it me?

There's a little background to this story here, so bear with me.

I recently contacted two cat breeders of Birmans. I told them about myself in the required amount of detail. I explained that I wanted their expertise on this pedigree, and also whether adopting a kitten or an adult would be better in a home when there is a resident dog.

Breeder "A" and Breeder "B", both breed pet and show Birmans. They live very close to one another as well. Breeder "A" even has a cat from Breeder "B" in her breeding program, as evidenced by the cat's official name on Breeder "A"'s website.

As it happened, I made contact with Breeder "A" first. In the email and in the followup phone call, she was gracious and helpful. Breeder "A" thought that adults might be better in a home with a resident dog. She had two adults that could be adopted, and one kitten. (Subsequent to this conversation, I emailed her and found out that she now has only one very shy adult left).

Move on to Breeder "B". In the first email, Breeder "B" listed the cats she had available (two adults, three kittens), and suggested I phone for more info or book an appt. This was a different experience from dealing with Breeder "A", so I emailed her back again, asking for her opinion on the kitten vs cat thing. Breeder "B" replied that kittens would be better, and added that her adults hadn't been exposed to dogs. As if reading my mind, Breeder "B" also told me that "my dog wasn't welcome at her home" and that I knew my dog better than anyone in terms of what he would be like around cats. (Breeder "A" was ok with dog visits). She added that, based on previous adoptions, her kittens got along with dogs, "no matter what type of dog". She did say she had two kittens left.

Ok. Here's one of my stuck points. I deliberately didn't mention that I knew about Breeder "A" to Breeder "B", and vice versa, because I didn't want them to feel as though I was playing them off each other (you know, like "I spoke to Susie and she's selling her cats for $100 less" kind of nonsense). However, why didn't they mention one another to me, instead of me going back and forth? They live like 30 minutes away from each other.

Here's the other one. I don't want to adopt a cat that I can't put in the same room with my dog before adoption, no matter how briefly. I know from experience that Buddy reacts to certain cats strongly (they're the ones I don't want to adopt).

So--both breeders have their drawbacks.

See my dilemma?
Old February 1st, 2010, 06:02 PM

In my own experience I would adopt a younger cat or even a kitten, they're so much more open to new experiences, older cats tend to be stuck in their ways unless they grew up with a dog in the home.
Has your dog been around cats before? If you know you dog is a gentle one then I would get a kitten.

The second breeder sounds strange and not a good bredder
Old February 1st, 2010, 06:16 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

IMO, if the adult cats have had no access to a dog, you are better to go with a kitten, so Breeder B gets points for that.

However, Breeder A is OK with introducing the dog to the cat to ensure they will get along prior to adoption so Breeder A gets points for that.

I personally would NEVER allow one of my cats to be adopted out to a home with kids and dogs without seeing how they react to the cat. My first priority would be to the cat, not getting the cat adopted out.

Perhaps contacting another breeder to see what that person states.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old February 1st, 2010, 10:42 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Have you considered at all checking the shelters and rescues in your area? There are so many cats out there needing homes. Why not adopt one who is desperate for a home. Please don't give up on them just because they aren't breeders. There are a ton of pure bred cats in rescue and in shelters.
In some cases cats' histories are known when they are in rescues. They may know what the cat is like around dogs. They may be more willing to let you bring your dog along to see how s/he gets along with any of the cats.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old February 1st, 2010, 11:15 PM

I haven't ruled out adopting shelter kitties; I'm still checking searching options. My overarching goal is finding the perfect fit for kitty.

It seems Breeder "B"'s no-visit policy struck a funny chord with some of you also. There's just no way I would adopt a cat or a kitten without a preliminary sniff from Buddy--for both their sakes.
Old February 2nd, 2010, 01:03 AM
Senior Contributor

Did breeder B mention WHY she doesn't want your dog in her home?
Maybe she's had a bad experience with a potential owner bringing dogs into her home and reacting poorly to the cats...
One of the pet shops here had a shop cat that was attacked in the store by a great dane with an irresponsible owner, and after that they were leary of people bringing dogs in the store.

On the other hand she shouldn't even offer to adopt any cats out to you if she doesn't know your home will be suitable (which would require her knowing your dog is ok with the cat and vice versa). A good breeder would make sure their cats are going to the right homes.

As far as adult cat versus kitten, it kind of depends on the individual cat and your dog.
In GENERAL kittens are more malleable and will take more easily to being around dogs.
On the other hand if your dog has the right personality an adult cat could be fine. My adult dogs are very calm around cats and just about any adult cat gets used to them quickly or even ends up wanting to cuddle with them. Unless the cat is just terrified and vicious with dogs I haven't had any problems. I have an adopted adult calico that fell in love with all of my dogs and loves new dogs as long as they're calm.
If your dog is excitable and not used to cats, and you don't think you can get them to behave calmly an adult cat probably wouldn't be a good idea unless the cat is already very used to dogs. If your dog will stay calm and not jump at the cat or try to play with them then you would probably be ok with an adult cat, granted the cat isn't terrified or acts feral upon meeting your dog. Some adult cats just HATE dogs and nothing seems to change their mind, no matter how easygoing the dog is.
Old February 2nd, 2010, 02:19 AM

Breeder B didn't really say why she has a no-dog visit policy. Since we communicated only through email, I did't communicate further with her on the subject.

Buddy isn't a calm dog, by any stretch of the imagination . He's very exuberant, and would undoubtedly chase the cat playfully all over the house if left to his own little devices.

More and more I'm thinking that if there is a feline in our future, it will need to be a kitten or a VERY emboldened adult cat!
Old February 2nd, 2010, 08:55 PM

I don't understand the dilemma with breeder A?

I can understand why breeder B would not want a dog to visit her house when her cats aren't exposed to dogs. This could be rather stressful for her cats!

I'm not surprised that neither of the breeders mentioned eachother. It is not always easy to home their cats and kittens, so they would likely want to keep the market/demand for themselves.
Old February 3rd, 2010, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
I don't understand the dilemma with breeder A?

I can understand why breeder B would not want a dog to visit her house when her cats aren't exposed to dogs. This could be rather stressful for her cats!

I'm not surprised that neither of the breeders mentioned eachother. It is not always easy to home their cats and kittens, so they would likely want to keep the market/demand for themselves.
So in other words my entire dilemma flew right over your head!

Just kiddin.

I liked Breeder A better (i.e., she was nicer, allowed dog visit) but she didn't have kitten; Breeder B had the kittens but I didn't find her as approachable and she didn't allow dog visit. Therefore, do I go to Breeder B anyway, or wait for Breeder A to make more babies?

It's a mute point now anyway, because I think I'm exploring other avenues.
Old February 4th, 2010, 02:39 AM

I agree that Breeder A would be a better idea. I don't blame Breeder B for saying no dog visits but you also should get a cat from her BECAUSE you don't know how they will get along.

There are so many cats in shelters today anyways so I am happy to hear that you are searching other avenues!
Old February 4th, 2010, 03:00 AM
Senior Contributor

In my opinion you'd do just as well adopting just about ANY friendly and healthy kitten from a shelter. There are SO many cats in shelters it's kind of silly to go to a breeder. Even if you're looking for very specific characteristics you can usually find them in shelter cats. It's a lot easier to find a cat to fit into your home in a shelter than it is a dog, so I honestly don't get the interest in buying from a breeder.
Then again I currently have 7 kittens and their mom (all of which get along with my dogs btw)I brought here on a whim (they were outside in the heat so I took them home) and I know it's nearly useless finding cats permanent homes. Black cats especially have trouble finding homes. If you go to a shelter and play with some kittens I don't see how you can't help falling in love with one. They will be just as friendly and malleable as the kittens you'd get from a breeder.
You may even be able to find someone like me that has kittens that are already used to dogs and well socialized with people and other cats.
Old February 4th, 2010, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay9 View Post
So in other words my entire dilemma flew right over your head!

Just kiddin.

I liked Breeder A better (i.e., she was nicer, allowed dog visit) but she didn't have kitten; Breeder B had the kittens but I didn't find her as approachable and she didn't allow dog visit. Therefore, do I go to Breeder B anyway, or wait for Breeder A to make more babies?

It's a mute point now anyway, because I think I'm exploring other avenues.
LOL! Well, if Breeder A's cats are socialized with dogs, or at least you could test it with your dog it shouldn't be an issue. If it is you will know. But ya, I'm happy to hear you are exploring other options too.