Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old May 13th, 2014, 06:42 AM

Best Cat Breed for household with 3 children

Hi there,

While there is much discussion about various dog breeds that are best for a family with children, I have not seen the same type of discussion with respect to cats.

Anyone have suggestions on which cat breeds are better for those with children?

I would love to see some discussion of this topic (or maybe there has been but I did not seem to find it)

Thanks and looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

K
Old May 13th, 2014, 12:05 PM

Hi kben ! Welcome to the forum !

It's greta to see you asking lots of questions.....BEFORE you actually go about finding a cat.

I just noticed that you received lots of response to your other question - in your other thread - I sincerely hope you're open to learning the basics about felines before you proceed any further on this mission.

You might think that people here are a little 'uppidy' - I say that because of the number of replies you had to your other question, and also because of the strength of those replies. Let me share this with you: seven years ago, and after many years of living with cats, I discovered that there were forums like this online.....and that was when I began learning about cats. That was when I discovered why some things had gone wrong for my kitties in the past, why some things had 'gone south' when they need not have, why one situation in particular had a tragic turn. For the most part, people on these forums will provide the best advice.

Now, about this question of 'breeds' of cats and which 'breeds' are better for families..........what I'll do is show you the very best kind of place to find a cat suitable for a family with children. It will only take you a few seconds...

Have a look here: The Best Family-Friendly Cats

I hope - sincerely hope that you stick around and ask lots of other questions before you go any further in your quest......and, one more thing: make sure you're prepared to commit to a relationship that will last up to 20 years (maybe longer) before you take one more step on that journey.
Old May 13th, 2014, 01:12 PM
Senior Contributor

You could try checking out your local shelter by calling and tell them you want to adopt a cat that good with kids and asked if they have any cats that been given up. You could also ask the shelter to call if someone is planning on bring a cat in that lived with kids . People have to give up a beloved cat when one of their child has an allergy to the cat. Also check vet offices , people will post that need to give up their cat b/c they're moving etc.
Old May 13th, 2014, 03:31 PM
Senior Contributor

I guess this makes me a bit of a hypocrite because my dog is purebred from a breeder with an exceptionally good reputation but my cats tend to be whoever shows up at my door needing a home. Right now two of mine were formerly feral and they are my babies, though not inclined to be sociable if there is lots of company over, then they hide.

And I now have a mother cat who either was abandoned or dumped and was living wild in our backyard till we trapped her and found she has four kittens. She is a lovely cat and her kittens are turning out to be friendly, playful and sociable. So sorry, can't answer the breed question on cats.
Old May 13th, 2014, 07:14 PM

I've heard Ragdoll cats are great with kids but have no experience with them. My friend had a Persian and it was amazingly calm and cuddly. It needed regular grooming but was the most docile cat I've ever met. The children used to dress it up in baby clothes and push it around the neighbourhood in a doll stroller. I'm not sure how much the cat did or did not enjoy this as it was ultra calm all the time and rarely struggled to get away. Thank goodness the kids were gentle with him
Old May 14th, 2014, 03:40 PM

Even though I didn't ask this question, both Sammy and me thank you for the answers as this information is good for us as well.
Old May 14th, 2014, 04:45 PM
Senior Contributor

That is OK with me that this info is helpful to you b/c the OP has not come back yet . So it's nice to someone can use it.
Old May 15th, 2014, 01:20 PM

thanks for the link. I will look into it. I myself would like to get a young kitten as this would allow for better bonding as he/she grows an ages.

K
Old May 20th, 2014, 01:08 PM

Based on my cats, you don't need to buy an expensive purebred. If you get a kitten (or an older cat who is already experienced with kids), a random bred cat will be just as good. A lot depends on the children the cat is living with.
If the children have been taught to respect the cat's space, leave it alone when it's sleeping, and back off if it says they are hurting it, the cat in turn will be friendly and confident. Cats who are ceaselessly pestered, never allowed to rest comfortably, and handled roughly will be skittish and growly.
Teach your kids' how to treat the cat before it comes to your house, show them how cats like to play, what various body language means (airplane ears=angry, forward ears=interest, tense means about to pounce, etc.) Your kids will probably end up having a lot of time to spend with the kitten, and will be major influences on how it's personality develops.
Sunshine~ Golden retriever X white german sheperd (Dad's dog)~October 24, 2008-
Old May 21st, 2014, 02:43 PM
Willing cat servant

Like in someone's signature on these forums (I think is L4H... I think) the best breed is the rescue breed
However I've heard ragdolls are very sweet and friendly but like Lynne&Co. mentioned as well I don't have any direct experience with them at home.
All my cats have been rescued either from the streets or shelters and one was adopted from a litter of kittens heh
In the local shelter they assess personality. If they're good with other cats, children, dogs, etc.
Old May 21st, 2014, 03:14 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbenn View Post
thanks for the link. I will look into it. I myself would like to get a young kitten as this would allow for better bonding as he/she grows an ages.

K
I recuse two homeless cats and gave them to a no kill cat shelter ,the cats where full grown and they both where adopted . I was send some emails of one of the cat sitting on his new owner lap looking content as ever. You'll be amazed at how well a older rescue pet will bond with their new owner(S) . There are so many cats waiting for a second chance before their time is up.
Old May 22nd, 2014, 11:47 AM
Willing cat servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingdog View Post
I recuse two homeless cats and gave them to a no kill cat shelter ,the cats where full grown and they both where adopted . I was send some emails of one of the cat sitting on his new owner lap looking content as ever. You'll be amazed at how well a older rescue pet will bond with their new owner(S) . There are so many cats waiting for a second chance before their time is up.
Totally agree. Don't be turned away from adult cats if they have a compatible personality they can be absolutely amazing. I've rescued many adults as well.
In Calgary Scully and Bobandy they were both adults only Mulder was a kitten (but an adult when she met the new arrival) and the 3 of them have no problems with the new baby. They just got weirded out at the beginning but heck even I was weirded out