Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum > Gardening

Old May 29th, 2011, 04:17 PM
Senior Contributor

Someone asked about the Virginia Creeper

We,ve had ours for 25yrs,grows on the back of the house(we have ugly brick)and under the bird-bath.
I only recommend it if you have time to keep it in check,or you'll have it everywhere.
It's hubbies baby,so he trims it.
It turns burgundy in the fall,really pretty.
Attached Images

Old May 29th, 2011, 08:10 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks, Chico. It looks great on the bird bath. One of the catalogues I got recently from a Plant Nursery actually has it for sale but I think I'll give that a miss. LOL. Don't know whether it'd spread like crazy here or not, and not willing to find out.
Old May 31st, 2011, 12:06 AM
Senior Contributor

I made the mistake of planting it up here along the fence and it went nuts..got into the flower beds close by and after years of trying to kill it with round up I think I finally got it all. I bought it for the red fall colour but I wouldn't get it again. The birds loved to nest in it though. *S*

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old May 31st, 2011, 04:25 AM
Senior Contributor

it grows wild here and has pulled down a few shumacker (spelling) tree's next to us...
Old May 31st, 2011, 12:55 PM
~Cat Servent~

my parents had a creeper that they actually brought back from friend's in virginia....it had covered almost their whole back fence, but they had to cut it all down when that wind storm we had a while back knocked down the fence! so sad, it was in great shape too.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old May 31st, 2011, 03:44 PM
Senior Contributor

I kind of like it,but you cannot let it grow out of shape,I have a picture here somewhere with the fall-colors,got to look for it..here it is with Rocky,when he was just young.
Attached Images

Old May 31st, 2011, 06:55 PM
Senior Contributor

chico...I loved the colour too. I missed the red autumn colours from southern ontario when I moved up here so that is why I got it..but I just couldn't keep mine in check. Your lucky it's hub's baby. *S*

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old May 31st, 2011, 06:58 PM
Senior Contributor

oh I love it too chico!! it makes almost a mountain looking sculpture beside us *L*
Old June 1st, 2011, 04:15 AM
Senior Contributor

That is really beautiful in its Autumn shades, Chico,(the cat was beautiful too). I might be tempted later, at the moment I am still searching for things to climb roses on.
Old June 1st, 2011, 09:52 AM
~Cat Servent~

Aw Rocky! I always loved that shot of him...looks like a wild kitty!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old June 1st, 2011, 11:51 AM
Senior Contributor

Dahmer,yeah,Rocky was very special,I think he's about a year there,we were training him to stay in the backyard,hence the HUGE bell around his neck.

Hubby takes care of it every summer,trims it if it gets too big....
Old June 2nd, 2011, 11:28 AM
Doggie Wench

That would have been me, Chico. I was looking up plants and shrubs that are good for attracting birds. As beautiful as yours are, (love the pic of Rocky ), I'm going to have to pass on planting some as I'd be too lazy to keep them in check .
Old June 2nd, 2011, 11:50 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I think that's a good call. I just spent an hour in my dinky (almost small enough to jump over) well garden, ripping out daisies-gone-wild and thinning out the Virginia Creeper... And it's not even half done!!! At least the creeper was trying to strangle daisies (along with everything else)... *sigh*

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old September 20th, 2011, 06:25 PM

Just be careful you're not allergic to Virginia Creeper before planting it. Me and a few of my cats are VERY allergic to this stuff... It's so pretty, though... It's not a real common allergy, but it's really nasty if you have it.
Old November 10th, 2011, 03:33 PM

Ok so I'm debating if I should plant one or two of these... maybe some one could chime in how well the spread.

I want it to cover a 10x20 pergola that's over a driveway beside the deck, it's is about 20' high, plus the fence that runs along it. I'm debating if I should do one plant in one corner by the fence and then guide it to spread (apparently it grows fast too).. or should I do two plants one in opposite corner (20' apart) along the fence. This way I can guide both to climb up the pergola, along the fence towards each other, and plus along the fence away from the pergola.

The only thing is to dig one of the holes would require removing some pavers and digging through the gravel under neath it.. I would rather avoid having to do that, but I do want to have nice coverage.. just not sure if one plant will manage it. This is facing the neighbour's deck so I'm going for maximum privacy.
Old November 11th, 2011, 09:53 AM

Anyone?
Old November 11th, 2011, 10:43 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I'm too busy ripping it out to figure out how much you'd need for coverage, Choochi. If it grows as well there as it does here, one plant might well do the job if you're willing to wait a bit. Might take a growing season or two to get really full--and if it doesn't seem like it's going to, you can always disrupt your pavers and add the second plant later...

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old November 11th, 2011, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
I'm too busy ripping it out to figure out how much you'd need for coverage, Choochi. If it grows as well there as it does here, one plant might well do the job if you're willing to wait a bit. Might take a growing season or two to get really full--and if it doesn't seem like it's going to, you can always disrupt your pavers and add the second plant later...
That's a very good point! Add one later? Sheesh! Must be Friday!
Old November 11th, 2011, 01:47 PM
Senior Contributor

Choochi,I think you can judge by how much we got from just one plant,at my house it's hubbies baby and he keeps it from growing all over the yard.
If you want to cover a pergola it's great,but be prepared for a lot of trimming,I think I would probably try something else,if I were you.
I cannot think of something specific,that grows fast,but there are several vines to choose from.