Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Cat food forum

Old May 6th, 2010, 02:23 PM

Just thought I would throw this out there. I make both cat and dog food at home I always full cook whatever it is im giving them but its a heck of a lot cheaper to buy a package of chicken tenders cook em up and shread em and feed them to your cats to suppplement a dry food diet. Wet food is very expensive and its mushed up meat my cats turn up there little noses to it and wait to get scraps or munch their dry.

If I wouldnt eat it I wont feed it to my animals.

Before starting any diet change in an animal (exspecialy if your making it yourself) consult your vet (i.e: give em a call and ask if they have any recipies or know of some where you can get them)
Old May 6th, 2010, 03:16 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpybear0810 View Post
its a heck of a lot cheaper to buy a package of chicken tenders cook em up and shread em and feed them to your cats to suppplement a dry food diet.
Cats should not eat dry food.

Quote:
Wet food is very expensive
So are vet bills.

Quote:
If I wouldnt eat it I wont feed it to my animals.
You would eat kibble?

Quote:
Before starting any diet change in an animal (exspecialy if your making it yourself) consult your vet
For the most part, vets are the last people you should be asking about feline nutrition. There are exceptions, but the vast majority are too brainwashed by the big pet food companies to be anything more than shills for their inferior products.

Sorry to sound harsh, I'm really not trying to be antagonistic. It's just a topic I'm very passionate about. Here is some reading to back me up (the first site written by a vet with extensive knowledge on what cats should be eating - which is NOT kibble):

http://www.catinfo.org/
http://catnutrition.wordpress.com/20...food-and-vets/
http://www.rawfed.com/myths/kibble.html

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old May 6th, 2010, 04:55 PM

max&mylo- I'm trying to get my head around the money math thing that is keeping you away from some of the better quality foods.......

Tell me, how much are you paying for a 5.5 oz can of SD?
Old May 9th, 2010, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUSTYcat View Post
Tell me, how much are you paying for a 5.5 oz can of SD?
max&mylo- I hope you're still reading the replies here....and, if so, I hope you didn't take my question to mean that I was badgering you. I have absolutely no doubts about your belief that better quality foods are outside your budgetary boundaries. My question is coming out of my own experience here and on other forums where I learned different ways to economize and make my own cat food budget go further.

I went looking for a price on SD....PetSmart sells 5 1/2oz cans for between $.75 and $.95 per can and, from my understanding, PetSmart is considered one of the least expensive petfood outlets. From your posts, it seems that you're not located close to large discounters, so I would guess that your SD cost is higher...

BUT, even if you're paying PetSmart prices, consider the following:

Last week you posted that you had found a place that sells some of these other foods: http://www.cwco-op.com/09/countrystore/animals.asp The day I posted my price question to you, I phoned these people. They sell both Wellness 12 oz and Eagle Pack Holistic 13oz cans for $2.50 and, if you buy a case, the price is $2.40 per can. (They'll even order cases of whichever varieties you want.).

Now, I use both these foods and I always add between 10-15% additional water when I serve them...obviously making them go even further (and better for the cats!)

If we use the cheapest PetSmart price of $.75 per 5.5oz can and based on your use of 3 cans daily, your cost is at the very least $2.25 for 16.5oz of food - some of which apparently isn't being consumed.

Given all of this - plus the reduction of nutrition-related veterinary costs down the road - it's hard for me to understand how/why some better foods would be out of reach. Hopefully some food for thought