Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old March 22nd, 2011, 12:10 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Being pigeonholed

Has it happened to anyone? Y'know - you have a certain breed of dog, a larger than norm number of dogs or cats, you do rescue work so therefore you are a bleeding heart, etc.......
I'm asking because of Mikischo's thread about the 30 cats under one roof and lately I have been asked if I - have a husband, have children, have grandchildren, have any hobbies. This is not by just one person. This is by a number of people who think because I have the "larger than norm" number of cats I am a spinster (not hardly), have a need to coddle and have no spawn of my own (3 and 2 stepsons) so therefore chose cats to do it with.
Has it happened to anyone else?

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old March 22nd, 2011, 12:20 PM
Senior Contributor

You are not alone 14+K. I have been told I would never meet anyone because I was too involved in animals and animal welfare. I was called 'crazy' and that I would retire on my own..with all cats and dogs and living in a broken down home to only be feared as the old hag who eats little kids like chips..

I have come to terms with this however as society does not have any real box to put me in other than being slightly eccentric. So be it.

As it turns out..I did infact meet someone who had the same ideals and philosophies as I...and he is a dog trainer to boot!.

I don't know about you 14+K..but I am proud of who I am. When I can fit more in..I will. The label may follow me and I am so comfortable with that as well.
Old March 22nd, 2011, 12:29 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

The only time it bothers me it when some idiot go on FB and tell folks how horrible I am. Not "man" enough to say it to my face. Other than that I am very proud of what I have accomplished in the last years. I know the direction I want to go in and what I want to accomplish in my little area of the world. That is what matters.
I applaud you BM for all you do. There needs to be many more saviours out there in the trenches helping to save the ones you do.
I can't see an end to it until the laws have changed to reflect that cats and dogs are not property and all of the millers, bybs, brokers, etc are shut down.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old March 22nd, 2011, 01:45 PM
-

The flip-side of the coin of course 14+ is that we ARE weird, quirky, eccentric and some of us are just plain mad-as-hatters.

People who are not animal people do not understand that after-work drinks mean I can be there by 8 at the earliest (do you know how many times in twenty-odd years I have explained "Walking the dog"???...TO THE SAME PEOPLE!?! ) which means I'm just in time to say good night to them ... and hang out with the hardcore boozers.

People who are not animal people (Pwanap's) do not understand that I DO NOT CARE IF I AM COVERED IN HAIR...Heck, I'm not sure I can even SEE it anymore. However, when the anti-fur people started targeted me for spraypainting ~ I invested in some roller brushes.

Pwanap's do not understand that my schedule revolves 24-7-365 around the well-being and safety of my animals. So William and whatzername will just have to suck up the catering costs ~ if the dawgs aren't well or I can't get a sitter, then they'll just have to get married without me.

Pwanap's do not understand do not understand why my dogs eat better than I do, why I spend so much on Vet care, products, toys etc. etc. ..."And, you spent HOW MANY THOUSANDS on those Balmain ANKLE booties ????" I ask Yeesh, at least I get a kiss and a cuddle from my "leather".

Pwanap's do not understand. Period. They don't get it. They never will and there's no cure for stupid. As tedious and tiresome as their apparent inability to grasp the fact that animals are sentient creatures needing physical and emotional care may seem to we, the evolved...well, we just need to learn to tolerate them...until that ship for Mars is ready. Then, it's round-up time.

Last edited by mummummum; March 22nd, 2011 at 03:21 PM. Reason: splelllling
Old March 22nd, 2011, 01:53 PM
banned user

Ma'm....you are hilarious..I like it
Old March 22nd, 2011, 02:31 PM
-

LOL .....well said Mums and, thanks for the giggles.
Old March 22nd, 2011, 02:34 PM
Senior Contributor

the neighbours send people (who lost or found animals) over to the "crazy animal lady's house"....I found out that from the last one that found a cat and went next door, she was directed to my place
Old March 22nd, 2011, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMax View Post
I was called 'crazy' and that I would retire on my own..with all cats and dogs
that really doesnt seem like such a bad option with all the crazy people in the world

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
Other than that I am very proud of what I have accomplished in the last years. I know the direction I want to go in and what I want to accomplish in my little area of the world. That is what matters.
I think you ( and BM and many other people on Pets) should be proud of everything you have done. All of you have opened your home to animals that no one wanted or couldnt care for and gave them the best possible life where they are safe, healthy and really well cared for.

and MX3 i agree with everything you said, the people who dont have a passion for animals just dont understand it. I think most people on here have their lives revolve around their animals to provide for them and make sure they are happy and healthy, which is what should happen if you bring an animal in to your home.
Old March 22nd, 2011, 03:21 PM
Kitty pimp

I am proud to be a crazy cat guy myself
Old March 22nd, 2011, 03:31 PM
Senior Contributor

pigeon holed??? Take a look at my avatar... so much easier to just laugh about than get po'd by people who dont have a clue!

Yes, I believe in the Rainbow Bridge
Old March 22nd, 2011, 03:36 PM
chronically insane.

Sorry guys but I bet I get it much worse than you for being a young crazy cat lady

Hmmm so usually what I get is from people IRL: My house must be dirty, my mom must be a whacko (only partially true!), I have some kind of mental problem (again, only partially true! ), hmm.. I'm anti-social, weird... I also want to say the weirdest one that is actually offensive in a sense (not to me but to others) is that people think I must be a lesbian for some reason. I haven't quite figured that one out yet

For people online, or who have not met me face to face.. they all assume (adding to the above) that I must be a hunchback and/or have some extra limbs or body parts

I can assure you know of the above is true. hehehe

~ RIP Timmy ~ May 2009 - November 6th 2009
Old March 22nd, 2011, 03:41 PM
Kitty pimp

well kathryn at least it's better than being branded a witch and burned at the stake hmm an antisocial lesbian wiht extra parts my kind of gal
Old March 22nd, 2011, 03:45 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathryn View Post
Sorry guys but I bet I get it much worse than you for being a young crazy cat lady

Hmmm so usually what I get is from people IRL: My house must be dirty, my mom must be a whacko (only partially true!), I have some kind of mental problem (again, only partially true! ), hmm.. I'm anti-social, weird... I also want to say the weirdest one that is actually offensive in a sense (not to me but to others) is that people think I must be a lesbian for some reason. I haven't quite figured that one out yet

For people online, or who have not met me face to face.. they all assume (adding to the above) that I must be a hunchback and/or have some extra limbs or body parts

I can assure you know of the above is true. hehehe
Yup...I knows about that...people ALWAYS assume my house must be dirty or stink.....UNTIL THEY COME IN......I have seen so many non pet homes that are filthy...it depends on the person!

Second...I am crazy...have the papers and meds to prove it...but still function better than alot of non pet people!!

Anti social...to a point...that's what the meds are for

Hmmmm....never been assumed to be a lesbian...but maybe I am just to old for anyone to assume I can be ANY kind of sexual being!!!

Thanks for the giggles.

Old March 22nd, 2011, 03:46 PM
Senior Contributor

14+ you should hold your head up high in your pigeon hole! I have to agree with MMM, some people just don't get it. You have to follow your heart and not worry about what other people say or think. Their minds are just too twisted to worry about. When your day of reconning comes there's going to be a very special (hairy) place for you! Even just with my two pups people think I'm nuts because if I can't take them with me I won't go, I also spend more on their food than my own some days. It's okay, we crazy animal sorts will always have each other.
Old March 22nd, 2011, 03:49 PM
chronically insane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Hall View Post
well kathryn at least it's better than being branded a witch and burned at the stake hmm an antisocial lesbian wiht extra parts my kind of gal
hmmm you're in patterson? only about an hour or two from me. hit me up if you wanna see my third arm

Old March 22nd, 2011, 04:00 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathryn View Post
I must be a lesbian for some reason. I haven't quite figured that one out yet
OMG - I get that too. Mind you...I am totally ok with that and never said yes or no.. I believe in keep'n them guessing..
Old March 22nd, 2011, 04:11 PM
chronically insane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMax View Post
OMG - I get that too. Mind you...I am totally ok with that and never said yes or no.. I believe in keep'n them guessing..
I just tell people I have my cats around to help me pick the right guy I figure if I bring a guy home and the cats don't like him, I'll kick him to the curb Hey I trust my cats opinion on people more than anything else.

Old March 22nd, 2011, 04:52 PM
Senior Contributor

Thank's for the laughs girls,I needed that
I have been called a lot of things in my life-time,some I am proud of..at my age,I have no problem telling people what I think.

Bleeding heart,animal crazy woman,sure no problems,I am proud to be..
I am known in my neighborhood for meddling in how they treat their animals,but I think I am forgiven because of my age,sometimes it's great to be old
Old March 22nd, 2011, 05:05 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
Thank's for the laughs girls,I needed that
I have been called a lot of things in my life-time,some I am proud of..at my age,I have no problem telling people what I think.

Bleeding heart,animal crazy woman,sure no problems,I am proud to be..
I am known in my neighborhood for meddling in how they treat their animals,but I think I am forgiven because of my age,sometimes it's great to be old

Old March 22nd, 2011, 05:09 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Great post, mx3

Yup, people think I am crazy to have 4 cats, but when that expands to include fosters, babysitting grandkitties, people think I am , but what they don't realize is how much joy these cats bring to my life and I feel sorry for those who haven't experience such unconditional love.

And, like mx3, I ALWAYS have cat fur on my work clothes and I don't give 2 $hits what anybody thinks. I just have to look down to my lap and see the fur, and smile because I think of my kitties

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old March 22nd, 2011, 05:19 PM
Senior Contributor

I tell people I'm not a crazy cat lady I'm a cat Hobbyiest and if they don't like it they can find their own dam hobby! LOL

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old March 22nd, 2011, 08:17 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
Has it happened to anyone? Y'know - you have a certain breed of dog, a larger than norm number of dogs or cats, you do rescue work so therefore you are a bleeding heart, etc.......
Yes, I've been pigeonholed, but only on this forum. Well maybe elsewhere but other people are possibly polite enough to only say things behind my back. 8 dogs and a cat in the house, scandalous! I try to get the dog hair off before I go out but..... D
I'd find it hard to call you a crazy cat lady, 14+, when one of my dearest friends(gone to God) would have had more cats than you, and was never thought of that way, by us I mean. You get a tick of approval btw because yours are better cared for.Pity we can't make people spend their money the way we think they should. You'd have spent my friend's money better if you follow that? There again, some(like my sister) would say I should stop spoiling my dogs and start spending money on myself - that's not gonna happen. You have to have your priorities right.
Old March 22nd, 2011, 09:01 PM
banned user

Yup !! And when your dog farts...you think it's funny...I guess I fit the bill too
Old March 22nd, 2011, 09:08 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldfields View Post
I'd find it hard to call you a crazy cat lady, 14+, when one of my dearest friends(gone to God) would have had more cats than you, and was never thought of that way, by us I mean.
So now I'm just a tad curious as to how many cats your dear friend had.

Old March 22nd, 2011, 10:32 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by exkalibur View Post
Yup !! And when your dog farts...you think it's funny...I guess I fit the bill too
Most hilarious trip to town I've ever had, exkalibur, was with my brother when he came up here to judge Terriers. I was showing my cattle dog in another Group so we travelled together. She was eating Pal at the time and nothing smells quite as bad as second hand Pal. I did suggest we open the window and point her tail that way. Imagine if they'd been non doggy folk.

14+, it's going back a good 30 or more years but I think she said it was around 50 cats. Being farmers they could afford to feed them but I've always been one for curtailing population explosions like that, the money would have been better spent spaying at the start and more money into trips to the vet for other things. I've always thought anyone can build up a big number of anything, dogs, cats, horses, sheep, that's easy, but you have to know when to stop. She wasn't rescuing these cats, they were breeding because they could. And not as healthy as yours.
Old March 23rd, 2011, 05:26 AM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by quincymycat View Post

Hmmmm....never been assumed to be a lesbian...

Thanks for the giggles.
Funny they assume it about me all the time,,oh wait i am one...I have a basic answer when i get the " why do you have 3 dogs"...well because Toronto bi-law wont let me have more,,but just wait until we move. I would much rather people thought negative things about some of the members here because of the amount of animals they have over the other option( homeless,,starving,dead furbabies)...

Goldfields i think14+ just might either have your friend beat or is right behind them..
Old March 23rd, 2011, 11:10 AM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
14+, it's going back a good 30 or more years but I think she said it was around 50 cats. Being farmers they could afford to feed them but I've always been one for curtailing population explosions like that, the money would have been better spent spaying at the start and more money into trips to the vet for other things. I've always thought anyone can build up a big number of anything, dogs, cats, horses, sheep, that's easy, but you have to know when to stop. She wasn't rescuing these cats, they were breeding because they could. And not as healthy as yours.
30 years ago it was not unusual for farmers to have that many or more. Around here most times it is more. They are the ones who refuse to spend a penny to get the cats s/n. Most times they don't even get fed. They fend for themselves. Which is why they end up roaming and getting killed by cars and coyotes.
You're right. Even 30 years ago I got my pets all s/n. It's only common sense. Although, according to some, there isn't much of that around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslan View Post
Goldfields i think14+ just might either have your friend beat or is right behind them..
You're right aslan - just about. With the strays coming and going that get fed in my greenhouse and will soon be getting t/n/r (as soon as I find a new place to go) it is probably already at that point. With kitten season coming up - I'm afraid I won't be able to bring in more. My priorities are to the ones I have - and the two new ones I have promised to take.

It doesn't "bother" me that people ask me those questions btw. I just find it amusing and usually laugh at them for asking. I explain very gently to them that their perceptions are a little off. They can't categorize everyone.

Old March 23rd, 2011, 11:12 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslan View Post

If she is right behind then her numbers have increased since I last read about it.
Old March 23rd, 2011, 11:19 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
If she is right behind then her numbers have increased since I last read about it.
I could be wrong GF, but I think Aslan was referring to the care 14+'s cats get...like vet care, s/n so the numbers dont increase by repopulation but only when she does voluntarily take on another rescue.

I believe you said your friend was on a farm where animals were free to mate as nature calls.

Old March 23rd, 2011, 11:21 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Unfortunately numbers will fluctuate depending on how many wonder off and find refuge in other areas. Not to mention animals being dumped daily and animals that are not spayed and neutered..just increasing the number of an already overpopulation.