Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old March 26th, 2011, 01:07 PM
Senior Contributor

Introducing Sasha

Well, she's finally here. I brought her home a couple of hours ago. I've got her in the upstairs bathroom. She has a crate, with a little stuffed toy in it, some water, and weewee pads. I didn't put any food for her because she had eaten a little before I picked her up, and since I'm taking her to the vet later, I want to talk to the vet about getting her spayed. My vet clinic charges around $380, and one of the girls at the front desk told me to talk to the vet to see if he might be able to spay her for less. If it works out, and he does agree to charge me less, I might leave her there with him tonight. We'll have to see about that.

Vlad has been upstairs in front of the door since I got her home, and as soon as I put her in the bathroom, she pooped. Kiska is upstairs too. Maks, Oksana and Czari are downstairs with me.

This morning when I went to Petsmart to get her a little collar the girl decided she wanted to give me some unrequested advice. She told me to keep her in the crate and bring her to where the cats are and when it came to feeding time feed the cats on top of her crate. WTF? I'm sorry, but I've got 5 cats, one of which has anxiety issues and I'm going to bring a dog I just got today, out in the open and feed them on top of where this dog is? I'm not going to do it. I don't know squat about dog and cat relationships, but I know enough to keep them separated for a little bit at least until they get used to each others scents!

Anyway, here are some photos of her.

Not great photos, but I'll be posting more. This is her first day and I don't want to overwhelm her with so much stuff.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old March 26th, 2011, 01:13 PM
Jag and Gingers dad

She is super cute.That will alright if the vet will spay her for less.are you going to get her chipped also.i know here it is cheaper the have them chipped when the are spayed/nutured at the sametime.
Old March 26th, 2011, 01:15 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks. She's a sweetie. She's upstairs now, whining a little. I don't want to go up there too much, as I'm trying to keep the cats calm and I don't want them to think a lot is going to change. I went upstairs earlier and spent some time with her.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

Old March 26th, 2011, 01:18 PM
-

She is absolutely GORGEOUS ! And she's cat-sized too!
Old March 26th, 2011, 01:19 PM
Jag and Gingers dad

Is she used to spending alot of time in her through out the day.
Old March 26th, 2011, 02:00 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by angeldogs View Post
Is she used to spending alot of time in her through out the day.
She's used to being around another dog. I'm torn between bringing the crate downstairs, which someone told me to do, and allowing them all to be in the same room, and keeping them separated for a few days. My biggest concern is making sure Oksana, who is the one with the anxiety issues, isn't too bothered by the new pup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mummummum View Post
She is absolutely GORGEOUS ! And she's cat-sized too!
Yes, she's quite small.

Old March 26th, 2011, 02:03 PM

ancientgirl,
she is just the cutest! I have no advice, but I am sure she will be a wonderful addition to your home
Old March 26th, 2011, 02:03 PM
banned user

She is beautiful...such a little sweetie but not sure about your rules...I think the cat's might just have to back off!
Old March 26th, 2011, 02:07 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirley1011 View Post
She is beautiful...such a little sweetie but not sure about your rules...I think the cat's might just have to back off!
Well, the thing is, they were here first. And I have to make sure they are comfortable with her being here. I can't just push her on them so quickly or they will get jealous and think she's ruining their home. I've already given them some treats upstairs outside her door, so I have to do things to make them see they get good things around the new addition.

Old March 26th, 2011, 04:36 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

I am so glad you managed to get her away from that woman mf. She is a little cutie pie!!
I am going to give you lots of reading to do about introductions. These are all tried and true methods. It will be up to you what you decide to try. Things may be a little different because the little one hasn't been around cats but she has been around other small dogs. She hasn't been allowed outside much either, has she?

http://cats.about.com/cs/catmanageme...troducedog.htm

http://dogtime.com/introducing-dog-and-cat.html

http://www.dogchatforum.com/introduc...gs_to_cats.htm

Hopefully some of this info will help. Slow and steady wins the race. I'm sure after a while everyone will be living in harmony. If not - Manuel said he would take the dog, right?

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old March 26th, 2011, 05:10 PM
You can call me DOG!

Sasha is adorable!

Sounds like your on the right track with the kitt-ay introductions and hope all will work out fine.

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)
Old March 26th, 2011, 05:13 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

She is just adorable! I hope all goes smoothly with the introductions! You never know--maybe she and Oksana will decide to band together and become best friends.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old March 26th, 2011, 05:17 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Finally . What a cutie pie she is . I hope your vet gives you a break on spaying

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
She is just adorable! I hope all goes smoothly with the introductions! You never know--maybe she and Oksana will decide to band together and become best friends.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old March 26th, 2011, 05:27 PM
Senior Contributor

Wonderful news AncientGirl. Congrats!!!
She is absolutely gorgeous.
Old March 26th, 2011, 06:02 PM
~Cat Servent~

What? Huh? Is that the little puppers you were trying to get from evil step mommy?

No matter....I am extatic for you!!! she's adorable and I can't wait to see how the cats react (i trust you will have a camera attached to your face for the intros!)

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old March 26th, 2011, 07:24 PM
Senior Contributor

14+, thanks for those links. I'll sit down tomorrow and look through them. As far as I know she had been outside now and then, but she's never been around cats. And yes, Miguel said he absolutely wants to take her if things don't work out here, and I know he would take wonderful care of her.

Kr, yeah this is the same girl I was trying to get before.

Right now, I'm hoping for indifference at best from the gang. So far, Vlad has been spending the most time upstairs, checking out what's behind the door. He's hissing a lot of course. Earlier, I was taking a shower, so I put Sasha in the crate and left the door open. Kiska came in and sniffed around her, and Vlad actually got pretty close and almost touched his nose with her.

Czari has stayed downstairs, and Maks will go and approach the door but not get too close. Oksana has also spent most of the day down here as well.

It's going to be an interesting several weeks.

As for her health, I took her to the vet and she had her wellness exam, her rabies and distemper/parvo vaccine. Her fecal was negative, so she's got no parasites, and I should have results of her bloodwork either Tuesday or Wednesday. She was a very good patient and the vet was amazed how easy she was to examine. I also gave her some flea medication and a heartworm pill. She's VERY easy to pill. Oh, and the vet couldn't give me any breaks on the spay unfortunately. So, I hope to get her spayed at some point on April at the local Humane Society.

Tomorrow is another day and hopefully little by little we'll get there.

Old March 26th, 2011, 07:33 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancientgirl View Post
14+, thanks for those links. I'll sit down tomorrow and look through them. As far as I know she had been outside now and then, but she's never been around cats. And yes, Miguel said he absolutely wants to take her if things don't work out here, and I know he would take wonderful care of her.
Ooops, sorry, Miguel. I called him Manuel.
With my old girls they have just gotten used to all the kitties that roam through and around them. Normally the cats give a few hisses at them and once they realize the dogs aren't going anywhere either ignore them, suck up to them, or give them a wide berth. I think it's hilarious.
Can't wait to hear what the kitties do the first time Sasha barks!!

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old March 26th, 2011, 07:49 PM
Jag and Gingers dad

Hopefully it will all work out well with the gang and the new pup.you know your kitty gang the best and will know when it's time to let the liitle roam free.
Old March 26th, 2011, 08:03 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
Ooops, sorry, Miguel. I called him Manuel.
With my old girls they have just gotten used to all the kitties that roam through and around them. Normally the cats give a few hisses at them and once they realize the dogs aren't going anywhere either ignore them, suck up to them, or give them a wide berth. I think it's hilarious.
Can't wait to hear what the kitties do the first time Sasha barks!!
Yeah, Vlad has been hissing the most. Sasha has been barking now and then and they sort of look around and just go about their way.

Oh, my dad told me to put some newspaper down and she'd go on the paper. Yeah, she went right in front of me, on the new rug I put in the bathroom. Oy!

Old March 26th, 2011, 08:38 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

A puppy dog is new to your gang, they'll come around if the intros are done correctly and if Sasha allows the kitties to rule the house

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old March 27th, 2011, 09:22 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

AG I am sooo happy for you...

How is your little princess doing this morning? I hope eveyone had a good night?

AG please give yourself and the kitties time to adjust. dont give up because sometimes it takes a little more time but it usually works. I have a good feeling that your gang is going to like her just fine.....after all she is their size!

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old March 27th, 2011, 10:08 AM
Senior Contributor

oh she is so sweet, I think the reason the shop girl told you that was so that the cats would smell the dog and get rewarded (their meal) at the same time them associate the dog smell with good stuff....my grams use to put the new dog in a playpen in the same room as the siamese so they could investigate while lounging around. 15 siamese with a new pom *L*....some would climb right up on the pen ( in those days it was wooden playpens), could luck, I hope it all works out.
Old March 27th, 2011, 10:21 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

How is Day 2 going, AG?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old March 27th, 2011, 10:33 AM
Senior Contributor

Hi guys. So far so good. I decided to see how well they all did in the room together, so I wanted to see if I could put Sasha downstairs. I've got her down here in her crate. So far, the gang seem find. Vlad has been the only one to get close enough to her to touch noses. Kiska and even Oksana have both approached as well. Czari had been up on the kitchen cabinets most of the morning, but she came down after I called her and walked really slow near the cage. She's the only one who's likely ever even seen a dog. Most of the dogs around here though are bigger than Sasha, even the small ones! She's super tiny, and at 6 pounds not much taller than Kiska.

The biggest surprise was this:

Yep, that's Maks. The same kitty who runs upstairs and hides any time any living breathing thing comes into my apartment. Although, I have to wonder if he wasn't just trying to get at the little treats I'd put in the carrier for her.

Old March 27th, 2011, 10:42 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

omd, she looks dwarfed by him! Is she really that tiny or is it just the camera angle?

Yay for Maks! Gonna make her feel at home! (even if he does turn out to be in it for the treats )

Old March 27th, 2011, 12:44 PM
Jag and Gingers dad

How is Sasha doing with the cats being around.Sounds like everything is going good.Maks does look much bigger then her.
Old March 27th, 2011, 04:44 PM
Senior Contributor

Aw A-G,I am happy for Sasha,it's just going to be a time of adjusting for all of you.
Sasha is outnumbered 5-1.
I remember when Rocky attacked Bailey,Bailey was not hurt(I was) and Rocky was probably not like any of your kitties.
Sasha being so small,smaller than the kitties might make a difference,I hope sobecause I know you want to keep her.
She is a little sweetheart for sure
Old March 27th, 2011, 06:25 PM
Senior Contributor

Hazel, Angeldogs, yes she is that small. Maks is weighing in these days at around 12-15lbs, and she's 6lbs. She's quite small, I'd say around the size of a 6-9month old cat.

Chico, so far the gang are cautious around her. Vlad is the only one that's gotten close enough to her to actually touch noses. When she's downstairs, I've been keeping her in the crate, and she seems fine with it. I figure, they can get used to her and she can get used to them, although as far as I see, she's not having any issues being around them.

I took her out earlier for a short walk. She's small, so I don't think anything longer than a 15 minute walk is necessary. My dad had told me she pees fine on newspaper, but so far she's peed on everything but. On the walk she did stop and peed a good bit, so I'm thinking that should be good for tonight. I'll take her tomorrow in the morning, so hopefully that's all she will need. I can't imagine such a tiny bladder would hold so much.

Old March 28th, 2011, 12:39 AM
Live well, laugh often

Congrats AG, I am so happy for you and your new addition .

I hope it all works out for you and if not it is still wonderful that Sasha gets a loving home .
Old March 28th, 2011, 07:56 AM
Senior Contributor

Thanks Teri!

So far so good. Last night I took her out for a bit before we all went to bed, and she didn't pee. Of course, when I put her upstairs in the bathroom, she peed on the floor.

This morning though, she did pee on the pads, so THAT was progress! lol. She ate a little bit of food, which is good because she's hardly eaten since Saturday. But I'm thinking she ate because A. she's hungry and B. she is starting to feel more comfortable.

I left her downstairs in her crate. The gang are all pretty cautions around her, but when she's in the crate they come close to her and sniff and look at her and then slowly walk away. Vlad is actually the only one who's gotten very close to her. I had her walking around the bedroom and she stood next to him and he looked down at her and they did the nose touchy thing. You should see her next to him. Even with him sitting and her standing he still towers over her.

Little by little and we'll get there. I don't let her run around in the evening, because she's not totally house trained. I need to start getting to where I come home, and feed the cats, then immediately take her outside. Hopefully after a few days she'll realize that's where she's got to pee.