Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum

Old February 8th, 2011, 04:36 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Dancer View Post
BMD, the previous Dr advised me that they can't give him more blood thinners than they already are (which is the normal treatment for blood clots apparently) due to the initial tear in his aorta. They don't want the blood to be so thin that it starts to bleed again. I had a bubble bath this morning before I left for the hospital - with a latte. It was nice, albeit too short. Night time would be better, but I'm normally too tired by then to do anything but fall into bed.
well then they are giving him blood thinners and that should slowly reduce or breakdown the clot and they do need to follow the clot to ensure it is not travelling. I'm glad you took a bubble bath. Hospitals become very impersonal and sometimes the staff need a jolt to remember that each patient is an individual and that your husband has someone who cares looking out for him and that they darn well better pay attention..... btw, the doctor has to make rounds on each patient they have a chart on daily.... they can't sign off otherwise
Old February 8th, 2011, 04:44 PM
-

DD , I'm so sorry !! I'm glad he's doing better but that blood cloth ... I understand how you could worry about that.

speedy recovery to your husband and please , take care of yourself also !!
Old February 8th, 2011, 05:44 PM
Senior Contributor

DD,I have over the years had much experience with hospital and serious problems with my sons,when I was younger I would leave the hospital many times,frustrated,scared,not really knowing what was going on,not getting answers.
I used to feel doctors were too intimidating,they were not going to bother telling me anything..
But I have changed,we have every right to find out what's going on,even if that means the staff think's you're a pain in the butt.
So,you go girl,make them tell you what and why things are done to the man you love.
Old February 8th, 2011, 05:45 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
BMD, the previous Dr advised me that they can't give him more blood thinners than they already are (which is the normal treatment for blood clots apparently) due to the initial tear in his aorta. They don't want the blood to be so thin that it starts to bleed again. I had a bubble bath this morning before I left for the hospital - with a latte. It was nice, albeit too short. Night time would be better, but I'm normally too tired by then to do anything but fall into bed.
Are they taking your hubs blood every day or every other day or so, to keep an eye on how thin it is and if they need to adjust the blood thinners?

Maybe u could write a little note for the nurse to put in your hub's chart telling the doctor you want to speak to her tomorrow? That way she would see it when she opened his chart in the morning.

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)

Last edited by Tundra_Queen; February 8th, 2011 at 05:46 PM. Reason: typo
Old February 8th, 2011, 07:40 PM
-

Aw, DD, I'm sorry to hear that the new doctor doesn't have the decency to actually visit her patients ....some of them just aren't considerate at all.

I hope that they are able to get his blood pressure down and figure out what the blood clot is doing and also hopeyour hubby has a much better day today.
Old February 8th, 2011, 08:03 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

DD your in my thoughts! sounds like you have some awesome puppers! I hope things calm down soon for you both and at the very least get DH home...I think he will feel much better and I would be willing to bet his BP goes down too! nothing like being at home!

Thinkning of you & your family!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old February 8th, 2011, 08:29 PM
Senior Contributor

Still thinking of you mom! hope things are going well! many still for you. hubby still sends his best wishes as well.

Cats leave pawprints on our hearts forever

Eclipse July 23th 2004
Serena July 23th 2004
Stormy April 20 2007
Zoey RIP March 2006-April 2 2007
Old February 8th, 2011, 10:17 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old February 9th, 2011, 04:18 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

How did his day go, DD? Did you get any answers from the Dr?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old February 9th, 2011, 04:52 PM
Senior Contributor

Hi all, well I waited 3 hours at the hospital this morning and never saw the Dr. Well I saw her, but she didn't see me. As I was leaving the nurse came out and said that the Dr. was very busy but would be there tonight and I could talk to her then. I said that would be fine as I couldn't wait any longer. Unfortunately I have to work.

That said DH was having a great morning when I got there. He was wide awake and in a good mood. He ate the breakfast I brought him then the physio came by and took him for a walk. They are still though fighting with his blood pressure. They thought he might go to a ward today, but by the sounds of it when they said the Dr. would see me tonight perhaps they've decided not to. Unfortunately the hospital is very overcrowded with patients sleeping in the halls in the wards, so I'm not in a hurry for them to ship him out to a ward. Our medical will pay for a private room for him, but they have to be available first. If they stick him in a hall I'd be obliged to lobby to take him home instead.
Old February 10th, 2011, 09:03 AM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

Glad to hear he was having a great morning, that is so key during recovery!

You keep on persevering, seems the nurse realizes you will be keeping an eye so is becoming more pro-active as well! That's a start in the right direction.
Old February 10th, 2011, 01:56 PM
Senior Contributor

So it's been an interesting 24 hours. I was just giving DH dinner last night and they came in - big hurry - moving him out to the ward. Okay, packed him up moved him out, no private or semi private room, oh well. Never saw the Dr. I got him settled in for the night and went home semi early.

This morning I got in early with his food, and he was not a happy boy. He was awake, but not happy. He does not want to stay, ready to go home he says. The nurse said he doesn't actually have a Dr. today, the trauma Dr. who took him in two weeks ago will be his Dr. now. No idea how long he'll be there. So she asked me if I could wait to talk to him. Arrrgh.... I told her nobody had talked to me in over a week now, I have waited hours on end for nothing. If they could give me a time I could be there, but I have to work, I can't just hang and wait every day for nothing. Anyhow, tonight I will ask them to have the Dr. either come in this evening or call me on my cell. I want some answers, and I want them now. I'm tired of just waiting for them to get to us.

Oh and the wards are filthy! The Critical Care Unit was immaculately clean, but the ward. Makes me shiver . There were blood stained tweezers on the floor last night that were still there this morning. The garbage can in the room was full to overflowing last night and was worse this morning. There are no hand sanitizers anywhere in sight. In this room they use plastic urinals for the patients in bed, so I asked the nurse when they're dirty what do you do with them. Oh, just rinse them out with water and put them back on his bed stand. No sanitizing nothing, just put them back on the table beside his breakfast please! I can't say I blame him for not wanting to stay. Today I am depressed. But the men in my office bought me a beautiful floral arrangement yesterday to chear me up, and a lovely card. They are so sweet.
Old February 10th, 2011, 02:16 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

oh no! That is not very good. I would give it 24 hours then I would call the hospital ombudsman. This has gone on long enough really and the stress is not good for either of you. No wonder his blood pressure won't settle down.

You have some lovely folks in your office to have given you some flowers to brighten your day!
Old February 11th, 2011, 03:54 PM
Senior Contributor

Finally today I spoke to DH's surgeon . Unfortunately there is little progress to speak of. He had a CT scan yesterday and the tear in the aorta is still there, but it hasn't gotten any worse - it also hasn't completely healed over yet. It is still considered life threatening according to the surgeon. He also has quite a bit of fluid in his left lung from the fractures. They can't tell if it's blood or fluid, but hopefully will be able to drain it today, maybe today... He is due for an ultrasound on his left arm to check on the status of his blood clot (which the last nurse said they had cancelled because they couldn't do anything about the clot anyhow so why bother... - biotch.) And lastly we are waiting to hear from the department that will check his broken collar bone to see if it is healing on it's own - he'll need xrays for that. So at the very minimum the surgeon said at least one more week, likely longer. I don't know who's more disappointed in that hubby or me. Likely him.

I have arranged for a doggy sitter to stay with the girls for Saturday and Sunday during the days and then they can sit in the car at night for a few hours. Thought I should give my son the weekend off.

I have to say, the staff in this surgical ward are wonderful. Not nearly as many as when he was in critical care (and they were great up there also, with the exception of the last nurse who I just couldn't warm up to - she was efficient, but no warmth). It seems like since he's been shifted down to the ward instead of the high intensity critical care it has jump started all the testing and such again. I'm thrilled. I was telling him today about all your wishes, he hasn't really been totally aware for the last while to understand, but he was pleased to hear about it. He appreciates it very much, as obviously do I. Take care my friends, I hope you all have a great weekend. I am sorry that I haven't posted in many threads, but I do try to read them and keep up on the activity here.
Old February 11th, 2011, 03:58 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

Well that is definitely progress! I am glad to hear that they are now getting on top of things in the new ward! I hope you manage to have a good weekend both of you!
Old February 11th, 2011, 05:09 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
So it's been an interesting 24 hours. I was just giving DH dinner last night and they came in - big hurry - moving him out to the ward. Okay, packed him up moved him out, no private or semi private room, oh well. Never saw the Dr. I got him settled in for the night and went home semi early.

This morning I got in early with his food, and he was not a happy boy. He was awake, but not happy. He does not want to stay, ready to go home he says. The nurse said he doesn't actually have a Dr. today, the trauma Dr. who took him in two weeks ago will be his Dr. now. No idea how long he'll be there. So she asked me if I could wait to talk to him. Arrrgh.... I told her nobody had talked to me in over a week now, I have waited hours on end for nothing. If they could give me a time I could be there, but I have to work, I can't just hang and wait every day for nothing. Anyhow, tonight I will ask them to have the Dr. either come in this evening or call me on my cell. I want some answers, and I want them now. I'm tired of just waiting for them to get to us.

Oh and the wards are filthy! The Critical Care Unit was immaculately clean, but the ward. Makes me shiver . There were blood stained tweezers on the floor last night that were still there this morning. The garbage can in the room was full to overflowing last night and was worse this morning. There are no hand sanitizers anywhere in sight. In this room they use plastic urinals for the patients in bed, so I asked the nurse when they're dirty what do you do with them. Oh, just rinse them out with water and put them back on his bed stand. No sanitizing nothing, just put them back on the table beside his breakfast please! I can't say I blame him for not wanting to stay. Today I am depressed. But the men in my office bought me a beautiful floral arrangement yesterday to chear me up, and a lovely card. They are so sweet.
DD...I'm so sorry that u and hubs are still getting jerked around.

You should take pics of the drity things around that u are seeing and show the administrator or talk to a reporter? Make them aware maybe something can be done. Start a journal about what is going on so u have a record. Maybe u could take it to your MP or MPP?

I hope things start getting better for hubs.

~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
Old February 11th, 2011, 05:33 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

So it's sort of one step forward, two back. Seriously, mf, I would be doing some major complaining about the state of the ward. I know nurses are overworked but bloody tweezers? Come on!! Do they not have cleaners?
I was hoping for better news on the aorta and it would be almost healed. Hopefully it will start healing and the blood clot will break up.
Nice of the guys to give you flowers. Be careful A doesn't get jealous.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old February 11th, 2011, 07:34 PM
-

DD, I agree with TQ and would take pics and get media attention ....that happened at Trail and it was the only way something got done about it. I realize the staff is overworked but it is the gov't that needs to improve our health care system.

Glas your hubby is getting tests done again. It sounds like he will end up having surgery and hopefuly it will be done quickly so he won't have to spend much more time there.
Old February 12th, 2011, 02:39 AM
Senior Contributor

Probably if he'd been drunk and had that fall he'd have been fine. Golly, he certainly has some serious problems and it must be so nerve wracking and frustrating waiting for tests and results, DD. Give him a get well peck on the cheek for me please. Poor man.
Old February 12th, 2011, 08:00 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I agree, take some pics.

Sending more for DH and a huge for you.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old February 12th, 2011, 01:18 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Another week or more!!!! Booo...hisss.... But I suppose if that's what it take to get him well, there's not much choice.

I hope that dang tear heals soon--once that's mended, the rest of his injuries will be a whole lot easier to take care of! Good luck with the tests--I hope his collar bone at least will be on the mend!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old February 12th, 2011, 03:21 PM
Senior Contributor

hey DD sorry been mia. i've been really bad the last few days with my cold which apperently was a sinus infection. i have lots of fluid in my ears so no wonder i can't hear.

I'm caught up and glad to hear they are going to be doing test and x rays to make sure things are healing good. i'm sorry he has to be there like another week! that sucks. hope things keep going good. hope he keeps getting better. Keep taking care of yourself as well!

many

Cats leave pawprints on our hearts forever

Eclipse July 23th 2004
Serena July 23th 2004
Stormy April 20 2007
Zoey RIP March 2006-April 2 2007
Old February 16th, 2011, 01:19 AM
Senior Contributor

Well I took a little break from posting updates, it seems I'm always sending out updates by e-mail and such and I was just tired. Sorry. Not much has really changed in almost three weeks. Today they put a chest tube in and drained quite a bit of fluid from DH's lung. He said it hurt, but it also felt like he was free again. He could breath so much easier. I told them I did not want him to have any Ativan today as the Dr. had mentioned, so he was quite lucid when I got to the hospital this afternoon, albeit tired. I will have to leave a msg for a Dr. to call me as I never seem to be there when they are doing rounds and I'd like an update. They have in the past few days done xrays on his shoulder, ultra sound on his arm with the blood clot (which they are now treating with Warfarin - SP?), CT on his chest, and another set of ultra sounds on his legs to check for more blood clots. All I got from DH was that the shoulder thing showed something that should take about 3 months to go away, maybe a clot (I don't think so), and that maybe he could go home in 3 days (I also don't think so). I had to remind him that the Dr. who was working on his collar bone is different from the Dr. who is working on his aorta. They all had to agree to send him home.

So that's it really. No idea how long he'll be there still, but he has been getting up and walking, although he saves that for when I'm with him mostly unless physio shows up, which they rarely do. Seems every night when I tell him I'm going to get ready to go home he suddenly has to walk right then! He'll do anything to make me stay longer.

Oh yesterday for Valentines Day I brought him a helium balloon that said I Love You, a cute little vase with a single rose and babies breath and greens and a few little chocolate hearts (the Lindt choc.) and wished him a Happy Valentines Day. That evening the new nurse comes in and says Happy Valentines Day to him and he goes "Oh is it Valentines Day??" HELLO He's such a romantic... Oh well, I still wuvs him.
Old February 16th, 2011, 01:49 AM
Senior Contributor

DDyou sure have been thru a lot the past few weeks. I'm sorry there has been more complications for your husband, and I will continue to send lots of and prayers your way.
I hope your hubby will get to come home soon, and that you get a much needed rest.
Wendellan~ Feline~ 10(ish)
Theedee~Feline~10(ish)
"Da-Goob"~ APBT/Dogo x (5-6ish)

"My Pitbulls are better behaved than your kids!" (my favorite bumper sticker)
Old February 16th, 2011, 02:12 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Seems every night when I tell him I'm going to get ready to go home he suddenly has to walk right then! He'll do anything to make me stay longer.
As long as he doesn't run around and undo your shoe laces with his teeth like our Gemma does to prevent us from leaving her, huh? The walking must be good for him, for his circulation I mean. Poor guy, I wish he could be walking out the door with you, and sooner rather than later.
Old February 16th, 2011, 02:25 AM
Live well, laugh often

Wow, this is turning into a bit of a marathon for you both and you must be exhausted . You are in my thoughts and I hope for some good news soon .
Old February 16th, 2011, 03:10 PM
Senior Contributor

DD I'm sorry to hear hubs is still having a hard time and can't come home yet. I don't know how u have kept going!

My hubs went into hospital yesterday norning, nothing serious, gallbladder probs, iv, antibotics etc. Anyways, I'm tired from just going back and forth from the hospital already. (Plus I hate coming back into a empty house...freaks me out)

I don't know how u are still standing after 3 weeks of doing this, plus not getting any answers from the doctors is so stressful on top of everything else u have been thru. I hope u can catch up with that doctor soon!

~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
Old February 16th, 2011, 05:00 PM
Senior Contributor

Yes this is a marathon for us. Three weeks tomorrow . TQ I hope your hubby is okay. I've had gallbladder problems before and it's no fun for sure. Hopefully he'll be better and home soon.

I hear you about going home to an empty house. I told DH the other day that right now it's not a home, it's just a house. Last night my neighbour came over to tell me that he had checked out backyard yesterday and found some keys that were in the padlock where DH had his ladders locked up. It was unlocked with one ladder currently being in the garage since he fell. I can't heft it up to the hooks he has out back to hang and lock them on, and it's dark when I leave and dark when I come home. He took the keys and gave them to me and lo and behold it's a full set of house keys on there too! To think every day I'm out from 7 am to 10 pm and then lock myself up at night and the whole time my keys are hanging outside!!

I will be glad when this is over.
Old February 16th, 2011, 05:03 PM
Pro Poop Scooper!

I hope he gets to come home soon! What I would do if I was you, is see if you can arrange for some home care for you and him! It seems these days that they kick you out of the hospital too fast. Although I don't doubt that you both want him to come home, sooner than later.

My Mom arranged for home care for my Dad, it was a good thing. He was on oxygen and needed more monitoring, for blood pressure etc and it took the pressure off of us. Sounds like it would benefit both of you, at least for a little while, while he finishes healing at home.
Old February 16th, 2011, 05:40 PM
Senior Contributor

Pattymac, the nurse said that he will be assessed before he leaves the hospital and if required they will arrange for home care for him. I really hope they do because I'm at work all day, and I wouldn't be comfortable with him home alone right away. My extended will pay for a nurse if he needs to have meds dispensed, but I don't think that will be the case. He's not currently on oxygen either. We'll see, but yes we have discussed home care with them.