Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old June 19th, 2012, 09:33 AM
banned user

Question Hello

Please help me my male dog is losing his fur at an incredible rate, it just falls off in clumps yesterday I combed him and I had to stop but I could have continued I am fearing the worse does anyone have a suggestion for this because I have been considering putting him to sleep at home if his fur goes to the point where there is only skin
Old June 19th, 2012, 11:03 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorba12 View Post
Please help me my male dog is losing his fur at an incredible rate, it just falls off in clumps yesterday I combed him and I had to stop but I could have continued I am fearing the worse does anyone have a suggestion for this because I have been considering putting him to sleep at home if his fur goes to the point where there is only skin
Did you have your dog thyroids checked out?
Old June 19th, 2012, 11:24 AM
Senior Contributor

zorba12, is he losing it in patches? If he is, is there dark pigment where he has lost it? Has he less hair on his tail? If he has got fat and your answers to those other questions are yes, yes, and yes, then as Barkingdog suggests, he may have a thyroid problem. Easily treated after diagnosis with a relatively cheap tablet, and his coat will grow back beautifully. You just need your vet to do a blood test for it. I have two shelties that are hypothyroid(an underactive thyroid gland). I think often the worry about not knowing what is wrong is worse than the actual complaint. I mean once we can treat our pets it isn't so stressful.
Old June 19th, 2012, 06:41 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldfields View Post
zorba12, is he losing it in patches? If he is, is there dark pigment where he has lost it? Has he less hair on his tail? If he has got fat and your answers to those other questions are yes, yes, and yes, then as Barkingdog suggests, he may have a thyroid problem. Easily treated after diagnosis with a relatively cheap tablet, and his coat will grow back beautifully. You just need your vet to do a blood test for it. I have two shelties that are hypothyroid(an underactive thyroid gland). I think often the worry about not knowing what is wrong is worse than the actual complaint. I mean once we can treat our pets it isn't so stressful.
I would hate to see the dog put to sleep if it is only a thyroid problem that easy to treat. I agree not knowing what is wrong is with our furry friends is very upsetting. I hope the OP dog well be OK.