Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old January 10th, 2016, 05:51 PM

Running and pooping

Hello, I am totally new to this but am at my wits end. My poor sweet kitty Mavis has been very sick. It started with explosive diarrhea, out of nowhere. Followed by the development of a deep tissue abscess and severe anemia. The weekend after thanksgiving she was lethargic and unresponsive. By Tuesday that week I decided that the end was near and made an appointment. Needless to say after sobbing all day, she suddenly stood up and kissed me. My vet and I decided to continue nursing her back to health.

She has an obvious neurological deficit of which we can't figure the cause. The abscess finally cleared up after two weeks of treatments. The diarrhea continues to plague her. She is just three years old this month and is a tiny girl to begin with, now back to her 5 pounds. She is eating, drinking, peeing in the litter box but can't seem to make it with the poop.

She is currently being treated for a possible active case of toxoplasmosis. All her tests, every single one is within normal limits. Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions? This has been financial taxing and is breaking my heart. We all love her dearly and want to see her recover.

Thank you so much.
Old January 10th, 2016, 06:28 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Have you tried pure pumpkin. It works both ways as a stool softener or it firms them up. It must be pure stuff not pie filling. I put the leftovers in an icecube tray so it doesnt go to waste. A little bit on their food for a couple of days should help.
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old January 10th, 2016, 08:27 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Has the anemia cleared up? Where was the abscess? What type of neurological deficit?

A cat-appropriate probiotic may be helpful, especially if the abscess was treated with antibiotics. Antibiotics can really do a number on the organisms found in the gut--anything you can do to get her intestinal organisms more balanced, should help.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old January 10th, 2016, 10:06 PM

More info about Mavis

Thank you for the support. I have tried the pumpkin, she won't eat at all if I put it into her food. Since she was down to only 4 pounds, I gave up on that. Thank goodness, her appetite is back and she has gained a full pound. We have been at this since November 24th. She is currently taking a pro biotic along with a thirty day round of antibiotics for suspected active toxoplasmosis. The abscess was on her ribs just behind her front arm. She is a tiny girl, about the size of an average 7 month old kitten. The abscess was about 2inches in diameter, it was huge on her tiny body. The anemia has resolved. The neurological issue seems to be in her back end, she has difficulty walking straight and seems to be incontinent after an attempt to jump up onto high surfaces, bed, counters, and tables. She is unstable and wobbly even when sitting.
Thank you again.
Old January 11th, 2016, 12:56 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I don't have any experience with toxoplasmosis in cats, but from what I can see in an internet search, the symptoms could all be consistent with toxoplasmosis. Were they able to confirm toxoplasmosis with lab tests? How long has she been on the treatment? Is the vet concerned that there hasn't been more improvement?

Poor little munchkin! Does she seem in good spirits, at least?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old January 11th, 2016, 01:04 PM

they were unable to confirm the toxoplasmosis, however, she does seem to be getting better. She has been on antibiotics for 12 days now. After everything, we have decided to just wait and see. She is a very difficult blood draw due to her size and previously was dehydrated. She is beginning to get back to herself, which is why I hate leaving her isolated due to the bowel incontence. I just can't continue with the messes, it is like she diarrhea does parkour. So now that you have finished laughing and viewing that image, you totally understand the dilemma. I want her to begin moving about more to, hopefully, help her gain control of her wobbliness. She needs the room to move about, but kitty parkour with diarrhea is YUCKY.
Old January 12th, 2016, 03:25 AM
healingpets

energy healing

besides the holistic vet idea, did you consider energy healing for the pain and the pooping?
a lot of times it takes the entire trouble away. google has lots of healers listed. try finding a certified pranic healer, willing to do pets!
still no go, ping back.
Old January 12th, 2016, 11:13 AM

Hello Mamaof3Bees:

Welcome to the forum.
I was wondering if you have ever tried Slippery Elm Bark for any of the bowel issues? I've used it in the past for diarhea and had good success with it. It might be something worth looking into.

I'm enclosing a web site for Little Big Cats that will describe the application and how to prepare.

What I found was buying bulk Slippery Elm seemed to make a better product than using capsules and do taste it before giving it to the cat to make sure that it meets Little Big Cat specs.

Couple of other things that I have some questions about. What type of food is the cat on? Has she been on antibiotics before for any reason and when was the last time it had vaccinations? In the past I've had problems with my cats with over prescriptions of antibiotics along with the vaccinations. Is the cat strictly an indoor cat, or does it go outdoors as well?

As Hazelrunpack mentioned - cats and antibiotics don't mix well due to their digestive systems - it's extremely high in healthy bacteria for digestion and antibiotics aren't selective. If it's bacteria, it kills it. If it's in the stomach, it can cause irritable bowel problems big time.

The month long prescription for antibiotics without having confirmed lab tests, diagnosis indicating that they are necessary, just seems to be a bit much, especially for such a small cat. The side effects are the major problem, according to my pharmacist.

http://www.littlebigcat.com/health/slippery-elm/

Last edited by Reg; January 12th, 2016 at 02:24 PM.
Old November 26th, 2017, 07:48 AM

Same symptons here and need opinions

My 6 year old female Medium hair cat part Maine Coon has over the years pooped outside the litter.
Symptons: She doesn't poop for several days and runs around the house with poop falling. After she hides and pants a bit. It happens every year and lasts for months.

What I've tried:
1. First couple of years on daily lactoluse
2. Changed for fibre response food (which worked for the first year)
3.Tried Lacteeze for cats
4. Tried human grade restoralax
5. Changed litter type to corn(bad), back to clay based
6. First year took x-rays but found nothing
7. Tried Cysperide to make her try and poop more frequently. She's still on that with no success

Results:
1. Poop is segmented, firm but not too hard
2. With Lactoluse, the poop gets watery and too loose
3. She still pees in the litter (alot of pee)

I'm sure this is Megacolon but the treatments are getting more ineffective each year.

I'm at wits end since it's getting expensive and she is still fairly young.

Anyone else has this experience?
Old November 27th, 2017, 12:21 AM

Welcome to the forum Tipsey.

Hope we can get some ideas for you.

What type of food is she on - dry or canned? Has she had any recent blood or urine work done? If so was there any issues?

When you were using the Restoralax, how much were you using per day? How heavy is she?

When you say she "runs around the house with poop falling", what exactly do you mean? Is it hanging from her anus, or is it like a diarhea, or is it hung up with hair in the digestive system?

Has she been seen by a vet in recent months, and is your vet just a standard vet or integrative?

Some answers to these questions might help the members to help you.

I'll see if I can come up with some ideas to look at.
Old December 6th, 2017, 08:23 AM
Senior Contributor

Slippery Elm powder helped my old girl and eliminated the need for Restorolax. After about a week on it her innards were recovered and she was able to resume her normal bathroom habits without help. I was surprised all to heck that she would eat the stuff, mixed in her canned food, but she did with no trouble at all.
Old January 21st, 2018, 03:08 PM

Wet food in morning, fibre response dry food throughout the day. The poop literally shoots out of here when she runs around. The Vet believes it's irritable bowel syndrome and she's had bloodworks which came back negative. She's had some luck pooping in the litter but fails to bury it. I brush her almost daily since she's medium hair and she weighs about 5.5 kg (not overweight) but she's a big cat (part maine coon)
Old January 22nd, 2018, 11:58 AM

We had our late Missy with the same problem that you are going through.

In regards to the litter box, what we found was Missy would accumulate a lot of gas, and with the diarhea when she passed gas sometimes it was forced out with a fluid drive of disentery which was not intended. And it ended up on the floor outside the litter box. She would pass gas in the bathroom where the litter box was, and you'd hear her down the hall in the living room.

When Missy had diarhea, she wouldn't cover it either. I think the reason was because she didn't want to get it on her paws. Cats are very clean animals and when this mishap occurs outside the box with the diarhea - what i had noticed - upset Missy and I would suspect it would be the same with your girl.

We found that we had to change the food and get away from kibble. That was pointed out to us by several vets. I would think that you are going to be in the same boat.

Is your vet integrative? If not, I would be thinking strongly of looking for a vet who is both conventional and alternative. The reason is the alternative vet will have more knowledge on species specific feeding. Mainly because they have stepped outside the box to learn rather than take the pet food industry's teaching.

Be very careful with vaccines - keep them to a bare minimum. I did away with them altogether. Something else that is dangerous is antibiotics. The side effects can raise havock with the digestive flora in the gut - weakening it and causing more problems.

Here are a couple of web sites for you to check out. The feline-nutrition one gives a break down of the gut floral and what's happening and some suggestions on feeding.

I suspect that you have done a lot of research. Hopefully this information is of some use.

https://feline-nutrition.org/health/...-and-treatment

This one is information from Dr.Lisa Pierson. I've followed her web site almost from the beginning. This article is on IBS, but there are other articles that are well worth the read.

Go to the top of the page and on the green side bar - down about 3 - is an article on prescription diets which is also worth a read and I've had vets tell me the same thing, just not in as many words.

http://catinfo.org/#Inflammatory_Bowel_Disease_(IBD)

Keep us posted.
Old December 29th, 2018, 04:28 PM

My cat has the exact same issue!!

The vet ran numerous tests and couldn’t find anything wrong with my cat (Keyser). This has been going on for awhile and no solution! Finally, after doing a lot of research on my own I believe he has IBS, which in cats is a diagnosis of exclusion, meaning it is arrived at after all other potential causes of a kitty’s digestive symptoms are ruled out. I am going to begin treating him for IBS, which includes some changes to his diet and environment.. I’ll let you all know how it turns out. But for those having similar issues with their cats I recommend looking up IBS.
Old January 6th, 2019, 10:24 AM

Hi all.....from reading this thread our Mother cat (unsure of age as she belongs to Daughter) took her as daughter moved and didn't want her to be brought to a shelter.

Anyways, I have seen our Namine lay there, her back near her tail flinching like she's irratated. I get her to stop and rub her like she's itchy or something. This has been going on for a bit, then she goes days all good. She runs like something is chasing her,then stops then runs.

Now we are starting to find poop. Little spots up the stairs then find a big "blob". She has done it on our bed, under the bed pretty much every part of the house.

The little blobs are very smooth looking in texture and the big blob one time was runny and then it seemed like it had liquid around it. No blood.

She does go pee in box, no change to diet. She had a litter 2 years ago. 4 kittens. We got her and 2 other we kept fixed. They all had a clean bill of health, now this with the Mother.
Old January 6th, 2019, 02:27 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Hi, Punchbuggy. If this is an ongoing thing, it might be worth a trip to the vet just to get Namine checked out. Changes in litter box habits can sometimes mean health issues. If you can, bring a stool sample with you when you go to the clinic--the vet will probably want to check it for worms and parasites.

Old January 6th, 2019, 05:29 PM

Hi Punchbuggy;

sorry to hear about your problems with Namine. So flinching around the tail sounds an awful lot like Hyperesthesia
(also known as rolling skin syndrome). It's a sign of a stressed-out cat, and what makes it hard to pin down is there are so many causes for it. Some things that cause it are: new house or dwelling, strangers coming in the house, the loss of an animal or human, and the list goes on. I am dealing with the same problem with Yogi one of our cats. He is coming up on 11 years and this problem has been going on since he was 2. The symptoms up until recently have been lite but in the last few months have intensified. I have found a homeopathic remedy that relieves the symptoms - Aconitum 30 C also known as Aconite. Something else worth having a look at for this is CDB oil product of the cannabis plant that is showing very good results as well.

Problem number 2, poop about the house. It sounds as if there is a digestive problem with the cat, as you describe the one stool sample as having a runny liquid around it that is mucosa, and that could be a sign of digestive problems. The finding of stool droppings around the house and not in the litter box indicates that she could be in some sort of pain internally, or around the rectum, and she could be relating the pain to the litter box. If that's the case it could be interlinked with the Hyperesthesia through the pain, as well as other issues.

So I think I'd have to go along with Hazel in suggesting that it might be a wise thing to do is to see a vet. Possibly an integrative vet might be a better bet for your problems due to the fact they can be treated naturally without the use of heavy drugs.

Please keep us informed of your progress with Namine.
Old January 27th, 2019, 03:38 PM

I would love to hear any more updates about this problem because my 15 year old boy just started this exact behavior! Help!
Old January 27th, 2019, 03:41 PM

cat running and pooping--please help

Have tried pumpkin, no change. Stool is not hard or too soft. But he seems to need to run and jump to get it out. I don't know what to do first. Enema? Ultrasound? xray? All the above? He is eating normally and otherwise seems ok. This all started about three weeks ago. Before that, he would poop very rarely out of the box. Now it is every day.
Thank you
Old January 27th, 2019, 08:41 PM
Senior Contributor

Have you taken your cat to vet your cat is old and it's would be best have a vet see what going on with your poor cat.
Old December 14th, 2019, 04:22 PM

My cat went to the toilet all over the house.

My cat went to the toilet all over the house.here is a lot of useful information. thanks friends