Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old April 4th, 2009, 10:51 PM

I'm thinking her incision is infected...

Its been almost 2 weeks since we got our little dog molly spayed. Long story short i took her out walking, she got dirty and then i gave her bath. Now today i notice that her incision is red and puffy. It looks really painfull. she has troubles getting comfortable when she tries to sit, she seems to sit and jump up a couple times before she finally sits down....

I'm planning on taking her to the vet but i'm not sure if they will be open tomorrow (sunday). Does anyone have any suggestions, if there is anything i can do to help in the meantime?
Old April 4th, 2009, 10:55 PM
-

I see you are in Edmonton so there must be some emergency vets open now. It does sound like an infection from what you have described .....please get her there asap ....good luck and post with an update.
Old April 4th, 2009, 11:36 PM
Senior Contributor

Polysporin will help if it's just the outer area that's infected. If the infection runs deeper when you go the the vets they may give you antibiotics. Does the swelling seem to be localized around any sutures? Sometimes they can become infected a bit (especially if they get wet) and even if they are the kind that will disolve on their own, one or more may need to be removed. Used to be that sutures were removed 10-14 days after the surgery, nowadays most vets don't remove them as they dissolve on their own. A couple of times I've had a suture begin to get infected, but it's always been closer to the end of the 14 days anyhow and the vet will just snip out the offending suture (as the incision is well on it's way to healing by then) and recommend polysporin.

If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion!

http://www.racingrescues.com
http://www.goodbyegoose.com
Old April 5th, 2009, 02:50 AM

It really sounds like there is an infection. If there is itching you can give her benadryl. The vet will give you an antibiotic for the infection. Meanwhile, see to it that her incision does not get more irritated to avoid further discomfort to your dog.
Old April 6th, 2009, 10:05 PM

Hi Everyone,

Took Molly to the vet this morning, the vet said that it was a little bit infected but also that it looked like her body was rejecting the stitches as well, so it will probably take some more time to heal and they probably will surface themselves before they dissolve...(or something along those lines). She's on antibiotics now and vet said it should significantly improve in the next two days.

Thank you everyone for the suggestions, the polysporin and benadryl helped a lot, and it made me sleep a little easier knowing that i could do at least something to help

Old April 6th, 2009, 11:28 PM
Senior Contributor

If her body is rejecting the internal sutures don't be surprised if it takes quite a while for her to completely heal up, just keep an eye on her. When I had Rain spayed everything looked great for about a week and a half. Then she got a bit of infection around one of the outer sutures and it was snipped out and polysporin healed it up beautifully. All the skin was nice and pink and the incision line appeared to be healed cleanly. Then around 2 months or more after surgery she got what looked like a blister along the incision line. It weeped a bit, kind of scabbed and went away but before it was fully healed another one appeared. They kept coming up at various spots along the incision and I kept an eye on them and kept using the polysporin. Every time I thought it was done another would appear. Finally as I was checking it over one day my finger knocked off a bit of a scab and there was big knotted up chunk of suture material that had worked it's way out from the inside, leftover from the internal sutures. Instead of it dissolving internally her body had forced it out. I think by the time she was completely healed up with no more blisters it was 3-4 months after the surgery. That stuff can take a long time to dissolve.

If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion!

http://www.racingrescues.com
http://www.goodbyegoose.com
Old April 7th, 2009, 08:38 PM

Yes our vet warned that because she was rejecting them that it could take over 3 months to fully heal