Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old July 28th, 2009, 07:28 AM
Senior Contributor

The Yorkie vs The Dogue De Bordeau

Hello,

I was wondering if you could help me with better understanding this situation?

I brought my dogs to an off leash dog park in our area. When I got there I noticed there was a lot of small breed dogs, so I introduced myself to the group of people and asked if they would prefer that I take my large breed dogs to another area. They said no, to join them in the park so I did.
My Dogue De Bordeau is 105lbs and 17 mnths or so. He was very intent on playing with a tiny Yorkie. He would go to her, and she would get nervous and be a bit aggressive with him. The dog was fearful so I would call Boswell off the Yorkie and he would leave her alone.
As soon as I called Boswell off, this Yorkie would come over to us. Then the cycle would happen again, and I would call my dog off.
This darn Yorkie, as scared as it seemed, just kept coming back to my dog. The owner said it was scared of large breed dogs.

It was kind of unfortunate because I spent a lot of time telling my dog what to do and what not to do, while the Yorkie had free rein.
Why was this Yorkie so persistent in engaging in a situation which obviously made her fearful?
Cheers,
Joanne
Harvey the English Bulldog Extraordinaire
Old July 28th, 2009, 07:43 AM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

The Yorkie wasn't fearful, it was dominating your dog. I have a big dog too and often the owners of little ones' say my dog is afraid of big dogs. Some are just afraid period. Size does not matter to dogs, it's I think therefore I am.

Like you I'm careful just because they could easily hurt them in play but the Yorkie owner should of corrected her. Dog parks
Old July 28th, 2009, 09:00 AM
Senior Contributor

Thanks Golden Girl.

I have a love/hate relationship with the dog park. Because my dogs are so big and could be perceived as intimidating- I want them socialized, and to be well mannered with other dogs.
I do find that a few owners do not bother doing basic obedience with their small dogs, or even really pay attention to their behaviours at the dog park.
My dogs are very scrutinized though, because of their size and their potential to gobble up some of the smaller dogs
I know, if I don't like it I can find another park-- I am just venting because I like going to the park!
Oh well, we can ignore a Yorkie
Cheers,
Joanne
Harvey the English Bulldog Extraordinaire
Old July 28th, 2009, 10:19 AM
Helicopter Champion

Yorkies, like many terriers, are seemingly fearless and don't let the size of any other dog stand in their way although they will show some apprehensiveness at times.

We had a similar thing happen between our Jack (yorkie mix ... bit on the big size at 18lbs) and a german shepherd - after about a minute of Jack yapping at the GSD (as we kept separating him from the situation) they got along famously and chased each other around the park for about an hour. We only had one incident when the GSD stepped on him and he took great offence to it, but otherwise all worked out well.
Gracie - 7 yr old tuxedo kitty

Monty - RIP buddy
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"If your dog doesn't like someone you probably shouldn't either." - Unknown
"If cats could talk they would lie to you"
Old July 28th, 2009, 12:49 PM
banned user

I'm so tired of the owners of small dogs who think they are harmless. That bloody Yorky shouldn't even have been allowed to be off it's leash!! Owners need to realize their dog is aggressive even if it is 2 lbs.

Last edited by brecker; July 28th, 2009 at 12:54 PM. Reason: add something
Old July 28th, 2009, 01:58 PM
Senior Contributor

Such an interesting thread and I can relate to this now in two parts.

Firstly, as everyone knows (the old timers anyways) I had a 130 lbs Rottie named Ben. At the dog park, people where always leary even though he was an ambassador Rottweiler. He never fought, never acted inappropriately, never engaged in normal doggie ruckas - just an all around good natured boy. But he was definately pegged.

Since Ben's passing ( my love), I have a min pin that weighs 5 lbs. I have had Julia since last June (foster failure). For the first time I brought her to the dog park because I need to exercise my foster pup and socialize her. I admit I was nervous only because my dog is very small and there could be an incident (but I had a plan of course).

Julia was better than I thought she would be. She is normally aggressive and has tried to attack (on leash) my neighbours pittie. So I am certain you can appreciate my reservations about the DP. Julia was respectful, however, if another dog was too obsessed with her, she would bounce forward with teeth bared. The other dogs backed off and she continued on her way.

The yorkie was exercising dominance however does rely on others including the master to control the environment. She should have been reprimanded by the owner to cease the behaviour.

Little dogs do get away with much more than bigger breeds. I am absolutely guilty of this myself, but I will defend as to why.

Why you ask? They scurry like mice and you cannot touch, grip, to get them to focus. They know you are coming and they take refuge in areas you just cannot reach. They are difficult to train and I stand by this.

As for the dog park, if there was access to another for big dogs only - I would have gone that route. Personally, I wish there were small dog parks due to having to deal with larger dogs wanting to dominate my little girl.

It goes both ways. Big, small, male or female. The solution is to either cease going to DP or finding one that you are comfortable with.