Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old May 27th, 2014, 12:16 PM

Question Cat respiratory disease

Hi. My cat is about 4-5 years old, not exactly sure as he was a farm cat that my roommate gave to me. He is in perfect health, extremely happy and so forth, except for his one major respiratory condition.

Every single day, he sneezes 10-30 times. Sometimes these events include another 10-30 sneezes in a row. This produces a great (and disgusting) deal of snot all over the place (takes the paint right off the wall.. ugh). Before he used to sneeze so much that his nose bled. I'm not sure what stopped that from happening. He also has watery eyes all day, and a running nose.

I have taken him to the vet who basically said, yeah, your cat is like this forever. But I don't understand. I have not found any articles that suggest that respiratory infections are permanent. Also I have never seen another cat like this. The vet said it would cost a lot of money to determine the cause, and that determining the cause was pointless because he was stuck like this.

I have tried Lysine but it did nothing perhaps because it was too late, or because it was not the right solution. I want to accomplish two things

1) Understand what his illness is
2) Relieve or cure it

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!
Old May 27th, 2014, 05:30 PM

Hi and welcome to the forum, bobDolle !

No one here will be able to diagnose whatever is going on with your cat...we may be able to suggest a plan for that, though.

The back story here is really sketchy and more detail will be helpful:
  • where (abouts) are you located?
  • when did you receive the cat/how long is the cat with you?
  • when did the sneezing start?
  • did your roomate own this cat, what's the cat's history, was the cat sneezing back then?
  • is this Vet someone who sees all sorts of animals?
  • is there a cat-only Veterinarian near you?
Old May 28th, 2014, 08:00 AM

I know but there must be someone with a similar issue.

- I'm in Ottawa
- I received it when it was probably 2 yrs old, it's been 3 years.
- The cat always sneezed
- The cat was found at a farm, it was probably always a stray/farm cat or someone abandoned it

I could take it to a vet again but the vet I went to was highly recommended. I feel like any other vet will say the same thing. A vet tech told me to try Lisene.
Old May 28th, 2014, 09:14 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

Hi BobDole and welcome to the forum.

I have a cat just like yours!
Baci, my Sphynx about 5 years old has had a similar problem for a while. Major 15-30 sneeze sneezing fits and disgusting snottiness. My vet also agrees that determining the cause in our case is difficult and expensive as it could be many things (foreign body, tumour, polyp, environmental or food allergies).

To cross stuff off the list, your cat will need to be scoped. (a scope inserted into the nasal cavity). We have not scoped our cat yet as when the cat gets stressed, it gets worse and bringing it to the vet stresses the cat out big time.... Also the scope may rule stuff out and reveal nothing...so it's a gamble. I do suspect that if Baci doesn't improve we will have to do this scope thing which is easily over 1000.

Apparently the colour of the snot is important as yellow greeny snot can indicate infection. Right now Baci is on Zeniquin (an antibiotic) and it is helping his problem. He was on Clavamox and it did not help.

Hope this info may help you - Good luck!
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old May 28th, 2014, 09:16 AM

Thanks that does help. Man vet bills are just insane...