Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old October 4th, 2011, 06:18 PM

Question Dog is suddenly sleeping by my feet

Over the past couple of days, my dog has started sleeping by my feet when I am home by myself (a majority of the day). I don't move around much so she'll lay by my feet until I get up to get some lunch or use the bathroom or something. Then she usually returns to the living room with me and we go back to the same thing. (I should mention that I'm handicapped so she gets her exercise in the evenings when someone comes home, but that's why I don't move around much).

She almost always would spend her majority of the day sleeping on my bed or watching out the window. She's 6 years old so she sleeps a lot, but that's a different story. Anyways, a month or 2 ago she was doing this same thing. I don't know why. I read that dogs do this is they sense that you're pregnant, but I am as far from that as possible right now. I'm wondering if something maybe scared her?

Any ideas why else she would do this? I feel bad...like I hope she's ok. I just had her to the vet and she checked out ok so I don't know what the problem is. Is she maybe just loving me?
Old October 4th, 2011, 07:13 PM
Pro Poop Scooper!

I would think she just wants to be close. I have a really nice bed for my dog but it's kind of across the room from where I'm sleeping so 90% of the time she lays right beside me, even though it's a hardwood floor and her bed isn't that far away maybe 10 feet. Now 99% of the time one of my cats has taken up residence on her bed and she doesn't even attempt to dislodge them!
Old October 4th, 2011, 08:28 PM
Unofficial Zookeeper

Any recent changes to your routine. New people coming in? new neighbors move in (new sounds and smells).

It could be she just loves you , and has decided that she'd like to be closer to you than on the bed. (maybe a nice comfy bed near your feet would be good idea).

My dach ruby is the same way. She has a bed, less than ten ft away. but she will prefer to lay on the floor right next to my feet (if on computer or i cant have her in my lap), and she also will follow me room to room. But she's always done thisi. however it got WORSE when I changed work schedules. and she really stuck to me like glue when I went thru a brief period of depression.
Old April 28th, 2015, 05:09 AM

I would say that your dog is pretty much attached to you being the master. Whenever she sleeps on your feet is a sign of submission and affection it feels for you. Nothing to worry about.