Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old January 5th, 2012, 10:56 PM

Renal food for cats

Howdy Folks!

Our cat has CRF and is starting to get tired of KD and (royal canin) LP. Does anyone know whether Purina NF and/or Iams Renal food are available in Ontario?

Thanks!
Old January 6th, 2012, 01:26 AM

How old is your cat, when was s/he diagnosed?
How is your cat feeling? ie normal/active or depressed/grouchy/hiding etc
What treatments aside from food are you currently doing?
Do you have a copy of the lab report numbers for BUN, Creatinine, USG etc?

I don't live in Ont but I'm sure some Vet clinic there would carry those foods or be willing/able order them in for you.

However you need not limit your CRF cat to prescription-based low protein/no taste foods, here are some good quality low phosphorus canned foods to try:

By Nature Organics Turkey & Turkey Liver, Chicken & Chicken Liver, Turkey & Chicken, Chicken & Mackerel, Beef & Beef Liver

Innova Flex Beef & Barley Stew
Evo 95% Chicken & Turkey

Felidae Platinum
Felidae Cat & Kitten
Felidae Grain Free

Merricks Before Grain 96% Beef
Merricks Before Grain 96% Turkey

Merricks Cowboy Cookout
Merricks Thanksgiving Day Dinner

Halo Spots Stew Wholesome Chicken
Halo Spots Stew Wholesome Turkey

Wellness Turkey, Chicken, Beef & Chicken, Beef & Salmon, Kitten, Wellness Core Chicken Turkey & Chicken Liver (other flavours are too high in phos)

Holistic Select Turkey & Barley
Holistic Select Duck & Chicken

Many more choices listed here http://www.felinecrf.org/canned_food...od_data_tables

Have a read through this thread you may find some useful information to help your cat Early Stage Kidney Failure in Cat

Feel free to ask any CRF related questions you may have

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old January 7th, 2012, 05:28 PM

Hi! Thanks for the response. Will look into these alternatives to prescription diets.
Old January 10th, 2012, 02:27 AM
Obsessed animal lover

Purina NF is not available in Canada due to some ingredient Canada won't allow. That is what I have been told. You can only get the dry here. Which sucks because my CRF cat likes it too. Not that I love the ingredients in any of the rx diets but it's the results we're after right?

I feed my cat a rotation as he is picky as heck. I feed holistic selects turkey & barley, wellness turkey, wellness chicken, Natural Balance's limited ingredient foods (duck, salmon, chicken and venison favours), k/d, Medi-cal reduced protein and royal canin renal lp. Sometimes I will feed him food he shouldnt have because he will refuse everything. I feed him 1/2 can three times a day and cannot feed him two cans of the same food in a row, sometimes he won't eat the second half of the can. This is a problem with cats with CRF I think.
Old January 11th, 2012, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipgirl4 View Post
Purina NF is not available in Canada due to some ingredient Canada won't allow. That is what I have been told. You can only get the dry here. Which sucks because my CRF cat likes it too. Not that I love the ingredients in any of the rx diets but it's the results we're after right?

I feed my cat a rotation as he is picky as heck. I feed holistic selects turkey & barley, wellness turkey, wellness chicken, Natural Balance's limited ingredient foods (duck, salmon, chicken and venison favours), k/d, Medi-cal reduced protein and royal canin renal lp. Sometimes I will feed him food he shouldnt have because he will refuse everything. I feed him 1/2 can three times a day and cannot feed him two cans of the same food in a row, sometimes he won't eat the second half of the can. This is a problem with cats with CRF I think.
I totally empathize with your frustration with feeding your picky cat. You may want to try mixing his canned food in a dish with a small amount of omega3 oil. Our cat really likes it and it should also help with hairballs.

In regards to the NF, I am really curious what this ingredient is and whether it is a good thing or not.

Either way, our cat has tried pretty much everything and seems to consistently like the NF. Her BUN/CRT numbers have been consistent (borderline above the high end of normal), so I'm trying not to change her diet...
Old February 1st, 2013, 03:25 PM

Hi! I was just trying to find Purina NF Kidney Function canned cat food in Canada. I was told that the animal hospital's suppliers are prohibited from importing this food because it contains American beef. So it seems there is no dangerous ingredient in the food. I think this situation is sad. This food looks like the only one which my very sick kitty, who has inflammatory bowel disease as well as stage 4 kidney disease, might be able to eat. We're now trying out Hill's g/d cans and hoping for the best. Purina NF dry food is available, I was told by the animal hospital.