Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old July 1st, 2014, 09:03 PM

cats in heat continuously!!!

I have a female cat have had her since she was weened. She has is almost 11 years old. She has had 2 sets of kittens. She is not spayed. Last litter of kittens was about 9 years ago. NOW she is very loud and vocal when in heat! Her heats last some times for WEEKS!!! But currently its been a little over 2 months no break or give the wife wants get rid of her if we cant fix this SOON!!! IM kind of attached to the Howling menace what can we do?
Old July 1st, 2014, 11:48 PM

You really should have her spayed Everyone in your household, especially your cat will be much happier
Old July 2nd, 2014, 05:31 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

'Fixing' (spaying) the cat will fix this situation in a Jiffy.
Good luck
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old July 2nd, 2014, 07:22 AM
Senior Contributor

She can be spayed while she's in heat. It's bit more work for the Vet, her blood vessels will be engorged but it's nothing near as bad as spaying her while she's pregnant or too soon after giving birth.

The cat some blinkety blank idiot let run wild and get pregnant and have her babies in my backyard has been in heat since the second week after we live trapped her, making for a 2.5 month long heat. We are so lucky she doesn't do the awful yowling. But she has rubbed a lot of her glorious long tortie hair off from rubbing and rolling around on the carpet to the point she almost looks like a short hair around her head, neck and shoulders. And she's behaving quite inappropriately with my male dog and my male OH, LOL.

Lexie (we will keep her, she's lovely) is booked to be spayed this Friday. I haven't seen her nurse the kittens (four) since they were 8 weeks old, so allowing for having missed seeing some nursing sessions and maybe it was really 9 weeks this makes a month since the last suckling. She seems to be in heat for 2 or 3 days and then not so bad the next day. Hope Friday is a not so bad day but there's no way for me to predict. The Vet knows, says bring her in, not a deal breaker.

Please have your cat spayed. 11 is not that old for a cat. The Vet profession is very advanced with anaesthetic these days. She must be uncomfortable, Lexie seems to be. I do find a good fast play session with the string on the stick seems to help Lexie take her mind of her discomfort but I can't play string all day.
Old July 5th, 2014, 07:02 AM
Senior Contributor

OP, thought I would just let you know my cat was spayed yesterday. I was hoping she would be in a reduced state of heat but she was full on. Now, she is only maybe 2 or 3 years old but she is fine.

Hope you spay your girl and come back to let us know how you are all getting on.