Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior > Cat behavior forum - cat training

Old October 21st, 2011, 10:17 PM

Leather couch and cats

We have always wanted a leather couch, but were afraid the cats would destroy it,so we got couches with cloth upholstery ( and they destroyed them.)
The salesman in a furniture store today said cats cannot/will not scratch leather, it was tested by the manafacturer and proven. I say he's full of it, my husband believes him. Does anyone have a leather couch, with numerous cats, and how has it held up?
Old October 22nd, 2011, 01:30 AM

Did the salesman offer a written return-damaged-couch money-back guarantee?

Never had a leather couch.

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old October 22nd, 2011, 04:00 AM
Senior Contributor

I've just come home from visiting a friend who has two indoor cats, and a leather couch. I think her Burmese leaves the couch alone but her Bengal has scratched one arm of it so badly it had to be reupholstered. AND it's doing it again, in the exact same place. Looked to me that it uses it like other cats use a scratching post. I reckon she would have a proper scratching post for them too btw.
Old October 22nd, 2011, 03:05 PM
Skylar's Farm

Tell that furniture salesman that he is a fibber

One of my cats had been scratching the leather couch of her previous owner, so the idiot owner had her declawed. Then the cat decided that she would chew on the leather couch so they dumped the cat.
Now we try to arrange chairs and furniture that limits the access to the favourite scratching areas, and we keep a close eye on the clawed cat.
There are some really nice blankets and covers for the arms of couches, etc.
Old October 22nd, 2011, 07:17 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bina View Post
Tell that furniture salesman that he is a fibber

Now we try to arrange chairs and furniture that limits the access to the favourite scratching areas, and we keep a close eye on the clawed cat.
Might suggest this to my friend, Bina, although the way she speaks this Bengal rearranges their house when they are away.
Old October 23rd, 2011, 12:21 AM

For the extra money you pay for a leather couch, I was always afraid to try one, because of the cats. The salesman swears that even though theres a warranty on the couch for just about everything, but not cats, they won't bother it. I told my husband he was just telling you what you wanted to hear, and the couch looked like a cat magnet to me.
Old October 23rd, 2011, 09:27 AM

the salesman is lying (imagine that), a cat will scratch a leather couch. you could invest in a nail cap product such as SoftPaws to protect the couch from the nails. That would be my best suggestion.
Old October 23rd, 2011, 09:48 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I have leather and the cats don't touch it. It does have some marks in it that were done by my foster kittens jumping up on the back of it (but what can you expect from baby kittens ?). But not one of the many, many cats that I've had in my house have used the furniture for clawing. But then again, no cat has used my upholstered furniture either, as I do have large, sturdy cat stands throughout my house that are available to them.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old October 23rd, 2011, 10:41 AM
Pro Poop Scooper!

my sister has leather and her kitty hasn't touched it. I wouldn't try it, too expensive to replace. Noella would love it, she grabs ahold of the bottom edge of the couch and drags herself along the floor. It's pretty tough fabric so it doesn't show any rips and tears.

You can get couch protectors that fit on the corners of the couch. Or try double sided tape where they want to scratch
Old October 23rd, 2011, 02:21 PM
Skylar's Farm

LOL....yup, mine also lays on her back, grabs the bottom edge of the fabric couch and gets all 4 feet in on the action.
Old October 23rd, 2011, 04:13 PM
Unofficial Zookeeper

mom had (key word HAD leather , mom has two fat LAZY cats. Well those FAT LAZY cats came to life, on her leather couch). they scratched it, they bit it, they used it as a giant play toy. (instead of thier scratching posts, thier toys, and thier cat furniture).
she had a giant 1200 dollar cat couch in her living room.

I'd not risk it.
if you want to do the soft claws...and do a "trial" run...RENT or BORROW a leather couch for a month and see how it goes. But NO WAY would I BUY a couch without first "trial"
to see what your kitties will do.
Old October 23rd, 2011, 10:47 PM

We have three out of seven cats that insist on using the carpet or furniture, no matter how many scratch post we have. I told my husband its just not worth all the extra money you have to pay for leather, theres no way you can guard it 24/7, and if he really wants leather, when he gets his next car it can have leather seats.
Old October 23rd, 2011, 10:56 PM
Unofficial Zookeeper

and if he really wants leather, when he gets his next car it can have leather seats.[/QUOTE]

AMEN AMEN AMEN

PS, I think that salesmen is a giant TURD (just saying)
Old October 24th, 2011, 10:11 PM

Its amazing what they will do for a sale. He also said Scotch Guarding a cloth couch will protect against cat pee and spray. Been there, done that, it doesn't.
Old October 25th, 2011, 10:52 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindapalm View Post
For the extra money you pay for a leather couch, I was always afraid to try one, because of the cats. The salesman swears that even though theres a warranty on the couch for just about everything, but not cats, they won't bother it. I told my husband he was just telling you what you wanted to hear, and the couch looked like a cat magnet to me.
he's a swearing douchebag that salesman.
Don't do it or YOU will be the one swearing.
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old October 25th, 2011, 04:54 PM
Senior Contributor

Lindapalm,our leather couches are at least 15yrs old and still look good,I had three cats,now two,like L4H's there are a few scratches from the cats jumping around,but I would highly recommend leather,as well as that suede looking material,microfiber I believe it's called,we have a corner-unite with a chaise in that material.
Believe me,we have been through many,many fabric-couches,never again.
But of course you also have to accomedate your cats,with a cat-tree,scratch boards etc..
Old October 25th, 2011, 09:38 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm sure you have noticed that the ads that pop up at the top of a thread are all mysteriously related to the subject of the thread? With this topic they are all about recovering or repairing couches including those made of leather. Think that's some kind of omen?
Old October 25th, 2011, 09:55 PM

Chico, the micro fiber is really popular now, I think it looks sharp, husband hates it. We'll probably get another cloth one and cover it up just like the one in our family room. Whenever someone comes over unexpectedly, we dash around and take the bedspreads off all the furniture. At another store another salesman suggested spraying Apple Bitters on the corners of the couch, says cats don't like the smell. Don't know if it will work, but it can't hurt to try.
Old October 25th, 2011, 10:03 PM

Marko, I agree with your assessment of the salesman, and I would end up being the one swearing, big time. Were going to get new carpeting in the spring, and it has to be berber, its the ONLY kind they can't destroy.