Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum > Gardening

Old June 8th, 2011, 12:32 AM
Senior Contributor

Not so dreary Winter garden (yet).

It's getting quite cold here now and I'm battling to find anything nice in the garden, the occassional rose, a small flower here or there, but hopefully, thanks to cuttings my neighbor just gave me, next Winter won't be as bad.
Attached Images

Old June 8th, 2011, 12:39 AM
Senior Contributor

There are a few plants that are not far off flowering, so this little bit of colour is good while I wait.
Attached Images

Old June 8th, 2011, 06:24 AM
Senior Contributor

How cold is cold there? Be prepared to be laughed at if you are not freezing and above 10C. lol In Canada that is bikini weather..lol

There ain't no cure for stupid ...... but we should make sure we laugh and point it out to everyone else
Old June 8th, 2011, 11:03 AM
Senior Contributor

Shay, they forecast 2C in the morning but it is already 0.7C. It was minus 3 in town where I shop yesterday. 10C is fine by me and the weather my shelties used to love best was say 4C at 10am, then they'd get the crazies and run for the joy of it, or to warm up. LOL. I was going to say I'm disappointed we haven't had some super frosts yet, but maybe we have and I've slept through them.
Oh, just looked at Weatherzone and the info they give goes Temperature first, then Dew Point, then Feels like, and apparently it feels like minus 2.3C. I'll drink to that, I've been feeling cold all evening, but then I have been a bit sick since last Thursday, and that might be a factor. Usually I love cold weather, especially fogs and frosts.
Incidentally, Man Vs the wild(?) on TV the other night was about Northern Canada - wow, beautiful, but so rugged.
Old June 8th, 2011, 12:41 PM
Senior Contributor

Aww that Rose is just gorgeous,I bought a new Rose yesterday,planted it today...beautiful color in all the pics
Old June 8th, 2011, 09:51 PM
Senior Contributor

That rose is Kronenburg, which was a wonderful buy, it doesn't let cold weather deter it from flowering, unlike the David Austin named Jude The Obscure. JTO has big fat buds that aren't opening, so I hope we get some sunny weather soon. Does your new rose have a name?
Old June 30th, 2011, 12:26 AM
Senior Contributor

Very bare garden now, although two lachenalias have decided to flower, and the Primulas think it is Spring. (Wrong!)
Attached Images

Old June 30th, 2011, 12:34 AM
Senior Contributor

This dainty llittle Wallflower has flowered for months and Rosemary and Pansies also put on quite a show for long periods.
Attached Images

Old June 30th, 2011, 07:09 AM
Senior Contributor

Looks beautiful to me GF,some winter you are having
Old June 30th, 2011, 07:23 AM
Mickey, my angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
Looks beautiful to me GF,some winter you are having
I have to agree. Still some nice blooms going on there.

GF, is this actually winter for you or is it still considered to be autumn there? Do you ever get snow in the area you live in and what are usually the coldest months there?
"Let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." -Jack Layton
"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi

Kitties: Punky (17), and Sassy (13), Twinky (10),

SweetMickey 1991 to May 24, 2009
Old June 30th, 2011, 09:25 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Must be winter now...the solstice was a few days ago... I'm already longing for winter. Any time we get hot, I have visions of snow... (What can I say...I hate heat )

Lovely gardens, GF. Yours has a darn sight more color in it in winter than mine do, which end up under a foot or two of snow. Our flowers are starting to bloom finally after our very cold spring--we're moving into lily season here, so the colors are switching from the cool pinks and purples of spring to the hot oranges and golds of summer.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old June 30th, 2011, 10:13 AM
Mickey, my angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
Must be winter now...the solstice was a few days ago... I'm already longing for winter. Any time we get hot, I have visions of snow... (What can I say...I hate heat )
Of course. Our summer solstice would be the start of their winter. So this would be the equivalent of us having flowers blooming outdoors in December. Would be lovely but it aint gonna happen here.

Hazel, I hate the heat too but never enough to be longing for winter.
"Let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." -Jack Layton
"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi

Kitties: Punky (17), and Sassy (13), Twinky (10),

SweetMickey 1991 to May 24, 2009
Old June 30th, 2011, 10:44 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I miss the drifting... And the bone-chilling cold...

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old June 30th, 2011, 11:11 AM
Senior Contributor

June, July, August is Winter here, mikischo , and so far it's too dry, only half the usual rain for June. We usually get snow on Mt William in the Grampians National Park, which is 30 miles from us, and have had light snow 4 miles away, but never any here, no. Lowest we've had in July was -5C, and the highest was 24.5C. Wish winter could be like that all the time.
I visited the local garden centre today to see what I can add to my garden for winter colour and managed to find a really nice ruby red daisy, a white chrysanthemum, some nice pansies, a big pink salvia, a campanula(which isn't flowering), and added to some Tiger lilies and Oriental lilies that were in the mail today, I had a bit of planting to do.
It's funny, this gardening addiction. I was just given a book about my ancestors on my mother's side, who arrived here in 1854, and my great-great- grandfather was down as a gardener on the passenger list. Some of his work was in Vineyards, which was why he was sponsored to come out here. I don't know the first thing about grapes, but I reckon I might have got on okay with the old guy. LOL.
Old June 30th, 2011, 12:02 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

So it's in the genes! Family history is pretty fascinating!

Old June 30th, 2011, 05:31 PM
Senior Contributor

Yes, genetic, LOL ,and on both sides seeing my paternal grandfather was a market gardener and the first Curator of the Park in the City I was born and reared in. Born to get my hands in the dirt I was.
Family history is great if someone else does all the research. I couldn't put that book down until I'd read it from cover to cover, although it only really covered our first family to live in Australia, and a bit about conditions in the country they came from.
Old July 1st, 2011, 09:13 PM
Senior Contributor

Here are two of my purchases the other day, the red daisy and the Salvia. I have other photo's I want to take but the batteries for my camera are flat. Well, two sets won't hold a charge now so I'll throw them out, the other set is on the charger.
I had to go to town yesterday and came home with a new rose. One of David Austin's new releases this year.

http://www.davidaustinroses.com/engl...wr=4917&Theme=
Attached Images

Old July 1st, 2011, 09:22 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Very pretty! Nothing that red will grow here in winter, that's for sure--unless it's inside, anyway.

That rose is a real looker, GF!

Old July 1st, 2011, 10:14 PM
Senior Contributor

My sister feels that the red daisy may not thrive, that the unusual colours mean that they don't do well or you'd see them everywhere. Well, I hope she's wrong, time will tell.
The rose, Princess Alexandra of Kent, was on my wish list, Hazel, but being a new release was too expensive . I was just lucky to pick it up $2 cheaper, and without having to pay postage, at the garden centre in town - yay!!
Old July 4th, 2011, 12:56 AM
Senior Contributor

I tend to forget what flowers in Winter, but how could I have forgotten the Hardenbergia? I was pleased to see that the white one has survived and is making it's way up through the purple one now. They also come in pink, a combination of purple and white, and for all I know, there may be a pink and white combination also. Tough as old boots, hot Summers and frost in Winter don't worry it, so worth growing.

I've added a purple Salvia, and my 'supervisor', Ginger, looking nice in his Winter coat.
Attached Images

Old July 4th, 2011, 01:21 AM
Senior Contributor

My elderly neighbor's lost their lawn during the drought so yesterday I took them down a bucket of Lippia pieces to start a new one, which of course led to a stroll around the garden, and me returming home with a bucket of flower cuttings and bulbs. Two new daises, Ageratum, Winter Gladioli bulbs.

In my own garden roses are still struggling to bloom rather than go dormant, first photo here is Just Joey, rather pink due to the cold. Next is Charles Rennie McIntosh, trying to hang onto its leaves. Then there is John Clare, hardly a leaf to bless itself with, yet it is carrying a couple of blooms, plus 20 rosebuds.Very confused plants.
Attached Images

Old July 4th, 2011, 10:06 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

Is Just Joey the peachy colored one? I love that!

Ginger is quite nice, too!

Old July 4th, 2011, 10:40 AM
Senior Contributor

Just Joey is the first one and is usually apricot, Hazel, except for when it gets cold. Then it does all sorts of strange things.
Ginger is a nice boy but just the tiniest bit feral still. It's a shame, but then I guess he's enjoyed his life, he gets the best of both worlds.