Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Introduce yourself here - Say hello

Old February 13th, 2009, 11:55 PM

Exclamation I need advice...

Ok... I am having alittle bit of trouble getting to know how to post. Well, I am a person that does not have much money due to collage expenses. I do with what I got for my pets and they are up to date with their basic needs as in food, warmers, and shots. The thing is one of my puppy's started have attacks that look like seizures after a fall and about the time I started him on canned foods instead of his mom's milk. He was one of four chihuahua's born on December 21, 2008. He is in the hospital right now and all I got from the vet was that I need to put him to sleep. I know there can be something to help him I just need to know what to do with the budget I am on. If he was in pain due to being ill he would not be playing and eating like nothing happened a few minutes after he gets an attack. HELP PLEASE...
Old February 14th, 2009, 08:02 AM
Senior Contributor

So, did the vet have a diagnosis? I would want way more information before putting the puppy down. How frequent are the seizures? Have any medications been tried?
Old February 14th, 2009, 12:50 PM
I'm a softy

Sorry, I just have a question, he was born in 2008? He might be a bit young to be away from his mom, how old was he when you got him? Or is your dog the mother? just confused..

Anyway, there usually is a lot of options for dogs that have seizures, I know I had a poodle that had them all the time from the time she was small, finally we found some meds that helped and made them rare. She would have a seizure and it looked awful, but after she was sleepy and, after a nap she was back to normal, I don't think it affected her quality of life at all.

I hope that you can find a way to get some tests done, and have puppy treated, there is a huge possibility of a great life ahead as long as there is no serious damage already done, and no pain or suffering, you need a diagnosis, and treatment. There is nothing that you can do by yourself, you will need to work with your vet. I know it probably doesn't sound nice, but if you cannot provide this care for the pup, would you be willing to surrender it to someone who can? I hope you can discover what it is and that it all works out. If you are not satisfied with your vet, go to another. I would like a vet that saw my puppy that had a seizure and only suggested putting it down.. good luck, take care!

Oh and how serious was the fall? Was there a brain injury? Have they tested for that?
Old February 14th, 2009, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger View Post
So, did the vet have a diagnosis? I would want way more information before putting the puppy down. How frequent are the seizures? Have any medications been tried?
Well, the vet said he was born with a disorder that causes fluid in the brain and thats why he has his seizures... then he said if it happens again that I should put him asleep. Note that all this was said with no CT scan, blood work, or x-ray to back it up. My puppy started having these attacks Monday morning around 7:15am then again that Tuesday...the next night is when he had about five in a row and it started at 9pm ended around 11pm. The next morning I took him to the vet and he stayed for two days and I got him back today with that information of putting him to sleep. Right now he is playing with his sisters being a regular puppy...I just dont feel the need to put him down. His meds right now are 'Pet-Tunic' and 'EnerCal' which are vitamins and nothing for fluid in the brain...
Old February 14th, 2009, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lUvMyLaB<3 View Post
Sorry, I just have a question, he was born in 2008? He might be a bit young to be away from his mom, how old was he when you got him? Or is your dog the mother? just confused..

Anyway, there usually is a lot of options for dogs that have seizures, I know I had a poodle that had them all the time from the time she was small, finally we found some meds that helped and made them rare. She would have a seizure and it looked awful, but after she was sleepy and, after a nap she was back to normal, I don't think it affected her quality of life at all.

I hope that you can find a way to get some tests done, and have puppy treated, there is a huge possibility of a great life ahead as long as there is no serious damage already done, and no pain or suffering, you need a diagnosis, and treatment. There is nothing that you can do by yourself, you will need to work with your vet. I know it probably doesn't sound nice, but if you cannot provide this care for the pup, would you be willing to surrender it to someone who can? I hope you can discover what it is and that it all works out. If you are not satisfied with your vet, go to another. I would like a vet that saw my puppy that had a seizure and only suggested putting it down.. good luck, take care!

Oh and how serious was the fall? Was there a brain injury? Have they tested for that?

He was born on Dec. 21, 2008 and when we took him away from his mom they were just about 6 weeks old...we did that because their teeth were sharp and growing so they were cutting the mom with them when they would feed from her. They ate very well when we got them to eat soft food and he was the main one that ate his whole bowl of food with water. I know you had a dog that had seizures, how did you comfort her when she had them or even after?...I want to know if there is somthing I can do for him to feel alittle better. We decited to keep him here with us because we are from a small town and most have low paying jobs so we did not think their would be a difference giving him up. I think the only different thing would be that we want to take care of him and do whats best for him with what we got other then putting him asleep. He fell out of my hands on to a brick floor outside... he got happy that we had taken him outside again to play and I was holding his sisters as well as him and he was the one to fall. It look like he hit his head on the left side. Also, he was born with his head moving side to side we thought it was that his head was to big for his body because his dad had his head too big. So I do not know if that had anything to do with it. No test were taken not even blood work by the vet thats because we left him in the hospital for 2 days and all that was given was a vitamin injection and thats about it. Oh and vitamins is what they gave me to give him along with that information on putting him to sleep.