Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old October 13th, 2006, 08:55 AM

Furminator?

So I decided to go ahead and order the furminator brush after seeing it mention in the Siberian Husky shedding thread and am anxiously waiting for it to arrive. Anyone use it and is it really that much better then other brushes? Here's their site: http://www.furminator.com/

My shepherd is shedding and so of course we have tons of hair everywhere. I'm hoping this might help just a tad bit!
Old October 13th, 2006, 09:32 AM

I have used one helping out at the grooming shop. It does seem to help some, but I was not real impressed. I don't remember exactly why, I just remember thinking that there should be a better way. Maybe I was doing it wrong though
Old October 13th, 2006, 01:49 PM

Well, in the video it looks like it works but you have to press hard, which not too many dogs will enjoy... But hey, everything is worth trying out, no?
Old October 13th, 2006, 02:05 PM
Performance Spaniels

I know someone with 3 pyrs. She swears by it as the best desheddign tool she's ever owned.
Old October 14th, 2006, 04:08 AM
-

My three hairy beasties were going through a terrible shedding period in the fall and I took the plunge. I wasn't impressed at all and returned it. Maybe it works well on single-coated dogs but I got more hair out of my gally-wags and woofer with a plain old comb.
Old October 26th, 2006, 08:19 PM

If anyone was wondering I've now used the furminator a few times. I do like it a lot better then my old brush. It's much neater in that hair doesn't fly all around but is gathered in small clumps. I'd recommend it, but it's not quite as miraculous as I had hoped.... There's just no getting away from the fur
Old October 26th, 2006, 10:08 PM
Senior Contributor

furminator

Found that it didn't work as well as a rake especially on thick Husky or St. Bernard coats.
Old October 27th, 2006, 06:51 AM

I bought it for my long haired cats and was not impressed. It seems to skim the surface instead of getting right down. My favourite grooming tools are a steel comb with wide and narrow teeth, a rake, and a dematting tool. Those do the trick much better than the furminator.
Old October 27th, 2006, 09:34 AM
Beagle Rescue / CDT

Just bought one last week and I am sooo impressed. It works wonders on my beagles. I have been using a hound glove on them, but the furminator really gets the dead hair out from underneath and they like it a lot better too. I would definitly recommend it for the short coarse hair like beagles have, but I don't see how it would work well for the long hair breeds?
Old October 27th, 2006, 09:38 AM
Senior Contributor

Thanks We3Beagles for your post. I have always wondered what would be the best for my beagle. She is quite a shedder. I guess I will look into getting one of those
Old October 27th, 2006, 11:15 AM
Senior Contributor

I think the comb-thingy is worth a try....but I'm a little worried about the de-shedding shampoo and... de-shedding treats!! What exactly is a de-shedding treat?!!

Deep thought, by Jack Handey : "I think my new thing will be to try to be a real happy guy. I'll just walk around being real happy until some jerk says something stupid to me."
Old October 27th, 2006, 11:58 AM
Honest Contributor

furminator de-shedding treats... another clever way to market and make money off a trademarked name, by pushing crap-in-a-catchy-bag

Quote:
High protein, low fat dog treats that help to reduce excess shedding by promoting healthy skin and coat. The 100% digestable treats are fortified with Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acid to help protect against excess shedding. Plus, the treats help to promote clean teeth by reducing tartar and plaque.

Feeding Directions
Give your dog a deShedding treat every day as part of their regular diet.
Small dogs (under 20 lbs.): 1-2 treats daily
Medium dogs (21-50 lbs.): 3-4 treats daily
Large dogs (51-100 lbs.): 5-7 treats daily

Ingredients: wheat gluten, glycerin, natural flavor, shed reduction premix (salmon meal, rice bran extract, sunflower oil, salmon oil, safflower oil, methionine, borage oil, primrose oil, betaine, chelated zinc, mixed tocopherols), powdered cellulose, mono and diglycerides, magnesium, stearate, sodium metabisulfite, and tocopherols (preservative).

Guaranteed analysis: protein not less than 50%, fat not less than 4%, fat not more than 9%, fiber not more than 5%, and moisture not more than 12%.

Each crunchy, triangle-shaped treat measures 1.5"W x 1.5"H. Approximately 40 treats per package.
isn't SOAP made of glycerin?

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
Old October 27th, 2006, 01:55 PM

I have a furminator and I absolutely positively LOVE it!! I've used it on my lab, rabbit and three cats. You don't push hard at all!! I was scared to use it at first on the rabbit due to their paper thin skin. But the instructions say don't push hard. It works great on the cats as well. My one cat I've never gotten a lot of hair out of him but he sheds like crazy. I can fill a desk garbage can with the hair from just two of the cats.
The main downfall to it is the price. It retails for about $60. Luckly my shipping company messed up and sent me a case of 6 for the cost of one brush. I paid like $7 for mine! hehehe
Old October 27th, 2006, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meb999 View Post
I think the comb-thingy is worth a try....but I'm a little worried about the de-shedding shampoo and... de-shedding treats!! What exactly is a de-shedding treat?!!
Is right! De-shedding treats? I didn't see those, now that's scary.....
Old October 28th, 2006, 06:22 PM
Young at Heart

I just got a furminator yesterday for my two Goldens - it is awesome! I did cheat though - I groomed one of them at the beach this morning and left lots and lots of hair for the birds to use for nesting I'm impressed with it.