Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old July 10th, 2007, 05:23 PM

Ongoing Coraphagia problem

Hello all....I can't seem to get Ebie to stop eating her own poop. She doesn't eat Cookies poop or other dog's poop just her own. I think she considers it a game of some sort....it's been going on for quite some time.

We've tried the following...
Forbid
Solid Gold S.E.P powder
Pineapple
Starting her on Deter now
Put Tabasco sauce on it

A while back I tried giving her probiotic mixed with her food...this gave her horrible diarrhea so we discontinued....was the diarrhea normal? Should we put her back on it?

Any other suggestions?

We currently feed her Innova RM. She has an annual check up coming up on the 28th. Is there any test that can check her body's ability to absord/use nutrients?

Thanks!
Old July 10th, 2007, 06:10 PM
Senior Contributor

What about just scooping the poop right away so that she doesn't even have a chance to eat it?
Old July 10th, 2007, 06:21 PM

Of course when we are home we pick up her poop right away. But often times she goes potty early in the morning and comes back to bed licking her lips. It's usually when she returns to bed and start getting herself situated when I wake up.
She knows I don't approve because when I go over to smell her breath she clams up! (thinking I won't smell it anyway if she just keeps her mouth shut) Anyway, if and when eats poop she gets a good brush and mouth rinse before going back to bed.
Old July 10th, 2007, 08:54 PM

My dog did this for years, we tried all the powders you put in their food, and nothing worked...It was impossible to follow 3 dogs around the yard all day and pick up after them as soon as they "went". I was constantly washing her mouth out, it was gross. Then when I switched her to a fully homemade diet, the poop-eating stopped.
Old July 10th, 2007, 10:46 PM
Remembering Lukka

I have to pick up Lukka's poop right away or she will sample it. She also has a fondness for rabbit poop, can't seem to get enough. Other than that she doesn't bother with other animals poop
Old July 10th, 2007, 11:39 PM

Rose ate her poop when she was on a diet. California Natural Herring & Sweet Potato poop is her fav. She lost the weight so when I increased her portion she stopped doing it. My pups both love, I mean really love elk poop. The soccer field in Canmore is just full of the stuff and my pups devour the stuff.
Old July 11th, 2007, 11:08 AM

My dog was doing this for awhile, but I think he may have stopped. At least, I haven't caught him w/ poop in his mouth in awhile... Anyway, if it has stopped, what may have done it was that I switched his food. He was on Canidae, but now is eating California Natural Lamb and Rice. His poops are more firm now, too, and he has gone back to eating 2x a day, plus looks to have gained a little weight. Not sure, but he seemed to not like the Canidae so much, and would pick at it slowly and refused breakfast so often I had stopped giving it to him. So, my suggestion is, if you haven't tried already, to switch your dogs food to a different brand. Whether or not this would work or not likely depends on the dogs reason for eating poop, and the food itself.
Old July 11th, 2007, 02:25 PM
Administrator - Pet lover

Hi kmjx65,

Is your dog neutered? That may help.

Here is a similar thread that was answered by one of the vets we associate with and other members. It may help.
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?threadid=58

Good luck!

Marko
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old July 11th, 2007, 02:39 PM
Senior Contributor

This is likely an entirely different situation from yours, but we lost our dog, Morgan to liver failure 2 years ago after she was poisoned. She was sick for about a year and a half before it took a turn for the worse but once she got sick, she started eating her droppings. When we asked the vet he said some dogs just do it, it appeals to them, but likely in her case it was the nutritional deficiency from being sick and she was drawn to the nutrients in her stool. Much like humans will often crave a big piece of steak if they're low in iron! So maybe if you've switched foods or something, the new food is missing something and for whatever reason may be present in your dog's stool.
Old July 11th, 2007, 03:50 PM

Have you tried Adolf's Meat Tenderizer? Its worked great for the people I have suggested it to, just dont leave your dog on it for too long (more than a few weeks) because of the salt.
Old July 14th, 2007, 04:08 PM
Senior Contributor

Some dogs simply enjoy others especially if they were punished for pooping in inappropriate places will eat to hide the evidence or see the owner cleaning up and think that it is bad to have laying around so help with the clean up

Moms do this to keep their dens clean for their pups so it is not an unnatural behaviour or means the are necessarily deficient in anything.
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." - Unknown
Old July 19th, 2007, 02:40 AM
sucker for shelter dogs

I feel your pain! Our 11 year old dog Rusty has been eating her poop since she was very young.

We've tried everything over the years and only recently did we discover that a grain free diet has made her poop less appetizing. She's not eating it anywhere near as much as she used to. It's definitely worth a try if you've tried everything else.