Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old March 10th, 2009, 06:36 PM
-

Well that news just sucks. :sad:

I have to go buy some tomorrow so hopefully the store still has some old stock left.
Old March 10th, 2009, 10:40 PM

wow, 69.99 that should be orijen 6 fish rite? is alot cheaper in toronto here.
Old March 11th, 2009, 07:43 AM

I just finally made my decision about what to switch my large breed pup to yesterday (after a month of debate, 5 different foods in 3 months!) arrk...we'll be switching him to the Acana this w/e. (he's on Performatrin Ultra right now). I'm hoping his diarrhea will be less although there is less fibre in the Acana so it might not help! Can't get worse! He had to take a Pepto Bismol this morning :P ....Where I am, north of Toronto, Acana is 55$ a bag (same as blue buffalo) and Orijen is 65$. I have four kids and can't do 65$ a bag! I'm glad to learn about the Global free bag business though. Funny about such a price difference though
Old March 11th, 2009, 10:19 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntielola View Post
I just finally made my decision about what to switch my large breed pup to yesterday (after a month of debate, 5 different foods in 3 months!) arrk...we'll be switching him to the Acana this w/e. (he's on Performatrin Ultra right now). I'm hoping his diarrhea will be less although there is less fibre in the Acana so it might not help! Can't get worse! He had to take a Pepto Bismol this morning :P ....Where I am, north of Toronto, Acana is 55$ a bag (same as blue buffalo) and Orijen is 65$. I have four kids and can't do 65$ a bag! I'm glad to learn about the Global free bag business though. Funny about such a price difference though
From what I understand, less fibre should help his diarrhea. $55 a bag, I'm north of TO also and haven't seen any Acana for that price, even the ones with grain cost more I think.
Old March 11th, 2009, 11:29 AM
Hazel's Personal Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntielola View Post
after a month of debate, 5 different foods in 3 months! I'm hoping his diarrhea will be less
Wow - 5 different foods in 12 weeks? You should transition to new foods slowly or it will cause digestive problems. If your pup is intolerant of something in the food, you should compare the ingredient lists on the foods you have tried to see what ingredients they have in common and look for a food that does not have those ingredients. Most experts say that it takes at least 2 months of exclusive feeding to see any benefits from any particular food.
Old March 11th, 2009, 12:36 PM

switching 5 different food in 3 months, maybe thats the reason it caused diarhea. I used to buy orijen chicken at global for $66+tax, but now I am buying from a local guy for $60 no tax per bag. I used to pick up at his home. that's even cheaper than the acana provincial.

Last edited by Pepsi; March 11th, 2009 at 12:40 PM.
Old March 11th, 2009, 10:42 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepsi View Post
wow, 69.99 that should be orijen 6 fish rite? is alot cheaper in toronto here.
Yep orijen 6 fish, was 69.99, now 71.99, I wonder why it's so much cheaper in Toronto?

I'm thinking about keeping them on Kirkland Orijen mix, for economic reasons for the time being. Kirkland is still better than a lot of other brands, and to help extend the Orijen I feel it's a good option. I just can't afford 75 bucks a week right now, feeding straight Orijen.
Old March 12th, 2009, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvmypitgirls View Post
Yep orijen 6 fish, was 69.99, now 71.99, I wonder why it's so much cheaper in Toronto?

I'm thinking about keeping them on Kirkland Orijen mix, for economic reasons for the time being. Kirkland is still better than a lot of other brands, and to help extend the Orijen I feel it's a good option. I just can't afford 75 bucks a week right now, feeding straight Orijen.
well, compare to the average price in toronto, you are actually paying a dollar less. If memory served, Orijen fish should be at $72.99+tax and chicken at $66.99+tax in most Global or Pet Valu chain, cuz they want to maintain a good margin of profit. but you may always find them somewhere cheaper.

I used to feed kirkland too before I feed orijen chicken,although the orijen cost twice as much as kirkland, however, I feed them half as much as kirkland.
In fact, their appearance changed alot.

Why don't you try the chicken instead, and is cheaper. although it is a mainly chicken flavor, but it also contains lots of fish ingredients.
Old March 15th, 2009, 01:18 PM

I have just joined the forum and was searching for a good dog food other than the prescription (my dog will NOT eat it) as she just had surgery for bladder stones. She is 3/1 shih tzu, jack russell.
I had not thought to check the snack ingrediants....
I give "Tuesday" baby carrots for her snacks mostly as do not her to get fat.
SO does anyone know a good dog food to protect against bladder stones?
Old April 21st, 2009, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanie35 View Post
I have just joined the forum and was searching for a good dog food other than the prescription (my dog will NOT eat it) as she just had surgery for bladder stones. She is 3/1 shih tzu, jack russell.
I had not thought to check the snack ingrediants....
I give "Tuesday" baby carrots for her snacks mostly as do not her to get fat.
SO does anyone know a good dog food to protect against bladder stones?
The prescription diet from your Vet would have caused more problems and your dog is smart to have avoided it. Vets make around 40% profit off the Hills prescraption diets they sell. So please, if anyone reads this, do not feed your dog Science Diet Hills.. it is made from very poor ingredients which will cause more harm to your pets because of the undigestible fillers like corn that it contains.

Look for foods that are labeled "Human-grade" because in Canada and the U.S. there are very stringent rules about foods that are to be labeled human grade. This will ensure your pet has super high quality food.

My Bichon at one time, when I first adopted him, would pee blood occaisionally. His old owners were feeding him Merrick's, which is excellent food, but it had rice in it. When I switched him to grain-free Orijen (also excellent), the peeing blood stopped! When I allowed his old owners to watch him, have him visit their place, they fed him kibble with rice in it. Although the kibble was very high quality, he would come back to me the next day peeing blood. This happened 5 times out of the 6 times he slept over there!! I noticed that after I stopped letting him sleep over he would never again pee blood. I did a lot of research and found that Bichons are susceptible to urinary calculi (stones) and putting two and two together, it made me see that grains were what was causing stones to form.

This may not be the case with your dog, but I would say switching to a grain-free human grade kibble like Orijen is worth trying. It will take a little while but I think that you will notice a difference.
Old April 22nd, 2009, 06:13 AM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

I don't know, but this site doesn't recommend Acana, although I can't find the "provincial" . Orijen is rated as one of the best

Acana http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_f...duct=898&cat=4
http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_f...duct=903&cat=5
http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_f...duct=906&cat=5

Orijen

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_f...duct=915&cat=8
http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_f...uct=1284&cat=8

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~

Last edited by happycats; April 22nd, 2009 at 06:22 AM.
Old April 22nd, 2009, 05:37 PM
Senior Contributor

I stopped feeding the Kirkland, I'm now mixing Orijen 6 fish with the Orijen chicken.
Orijen 6 fish has come back down in price to 69.99 at Global here in Airdrie, I think because we recently had a PetPlanet open up and their Orijen was 69.99.
I finally got my free bag yesterday, I was a lil upset cuz their computer was only counting one bag of two. I buy two bags every two weeks. I've been on the breeder program (NO I'M NOT A BREEDER), since January. 4 bags a month (sometimes 6) and I just now got my free bag
Better late then never I suppose.
Old April 22nd, 2009, 07:13 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycats View Post
I don't know, but this site doesn't recommend Acana, although I can't find the "provincial" . Orijen is rated as one of the best
The Acana Provincial line is 5 star rated by them ....

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_f...wcat.php/cat/3

A few of the original Acana formulas have been discontinued ....don't know if the ones you referred to are or not.
Old July 12th, 2010, 01:54 AM

Quote:
I stopped feeding the Kirkland, I'm now mixing Orijen 6 fish with the Orijen chicken.
Orijen 6 fish has come back down in price to 69.99 at Global here in Airdrie, I think because we recently had a PetPlanet open up and their Orijen was 69.99.
I finally got my free bag yesterday, I was a lil upset cuz their computer was only counting one bag of two. I buy two bags every two weeks. I've been on the breeder program (NO I'M NOT A BREEDER), since January. 4 bags a month (sometimes 6) and I just now got my free bag
Could you tell me how hard it was to get on the Orijen Breeder program?
Old July 12th, 2010, 05:52 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

We have a program in Ontario for anyone where you buy I think its 10 bags and get the 11th free? or it may be buy 11 get the 12th free? You are not required to be a breeder its just a purchase program throught the various stores that sell Orijen.
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old July 13th, 2010, 12:18 AM

Same here, most of our pet stores just keep track of when you come in and I think it's the 11th bag that's free... not sure, but you don't need to be a breeder to take advantage of it.

"Many of the Earth's habitats, animals, plants, insects, and even micro-organisms that we know as rare may not be known at all by future generations. We have the capability, and the responsibility. We must act before it is too late." - Dalai Lama
Old July 13th, 2010, 08:14 AM

price changes where you are from

It is most expesive in Quebec Orijen and Acana (i guess because of the little sticker they put on) it is 12 bags 1 free too. I guess Champion pet foods plays favortism of where you are from. It is cheapest in the US.
Old July 13th, 2010, 02:51 PM
Investigative researcher

I have been feeding Orijen for a couple of years. It did go up for a period last year, but is now down at approximately $60 again for the big bag. It lasts my two---90 lbs and 11 lbs---for three weeks. The $45 bag of cat food lasts my two cats three months. All four animals do very well on it.
Old July 13th, 2010, 06:19 PM

For the people worried about your loyalty collection have you checked to make sure its not interchangeable with Orijen and Acana, they are made by the same company. The place I get food has a loyalty which is actually through the company not the store, they have little ACANA/ORIJEN envelopes that they put your receipts and bar codes in and send it off for their free bag. If your loyalty is through the store not the Company then you can always ask.
Old July 13th, 2010, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Orijen is one of the most expensive foods here in the States around $60-$65 for 30 lb bag. The reason I want to know about the breeder program is the 6th bag is free, obviously better than the 11th
Old July 20th, 2010, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckat916 View Post
Orijen is one of the most expensive foods here in the States around $60-$65 for 30 lb bag. The reason I want to know about the breeder program is the 6th bag is free, obviously better than the 11th
Just to update, I received my Breeders Discount Card from Champion Foods. All I had to do was register!! Anyways, the program is Buy 6 bags get the 7th one free. The only down side is you have to buy ALL 6 bags at once! You can buy either the 13.5 kg or 7 kg size.
Old September 8th, 2010, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purpledomino View Post
I had been buying my Acana (large breed) at a petfood store which had the buy 10 bags...get one free offer. Then it changed to buy 12 bags, get one free. They charged $47.00 per bag. I checked out another local petfood store (that I like better) and they sold the same size bags for $42.00, without the deal, which when you do the math is cheaper.

I think it depends on the store whether or not they want to offer the free bag program, bother with the paperwork, and keep you on file for the rebate offer. It's also possible that they could jack up the price a bit to offset this. Check that out if you buy Acana or Orijen with the free bag offer.
First. I work for a store that offers the buy 10 get one free, and this perk is offered by our supplier. We take a small hit on the cost, but we get reimbursed approximately 80% of the wholesale cost of the bag. To us, 20% is worth the customer loyalty.

Second. We're given a range of acceptable prices to charge for ALL of the brands we carry. This range is given to us by the food company themselves, is usually a range of $3, and we're expected to fall somewhere within this range. This prevents companies from undercutting each other, because when this difference is only $1, it's easier to justify shopping where you like, rather than for the best deal.

Third. I don't know about every other store, but tracking a customer's food purchases is just part of the job, we don't charge extra for it, and we don't jack up our prices because of it.

Fourth. Most food companies do buy 10 get 1, but early this year, Wellness and Eagle Pack/Holistic Select implemented the change to buy 12 get 1. To compensate for the change, they offered every customer who was currently feeding either of those brands one free bag, no matter how close they were to earning one, just to ease the blow. Fair, IMO. Some customers had literally just bought their first bag the month before, and got a free bag off the bat.

I personally handle all of the customer food tracking/loyalty credits for the two stores that I work in. I'm not sure if any of the information I provided clears up any of the pricing questions from above, but the bottom line is that the retail store only forks out a small portion of the cost of the free bag that you receive. It's a very small price to pay for loyal customers.