Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old December 16th, 2008, 02:59 PM

Unhappy Dog biting me when I try to help...

My Pom, Jessy, has a yeast dermatitis (vet confirmed by microscope). We chose to try a natural treatment ("NZYMES") over the chemical (miconazole) at this point. As we wait for the natural program to take effect, she is very itchy and red, and she mutilating herself every time we leave the room. She even managed to find a way to chew her back leg in spite of the soft elizabethan collar when I was brushing my teeth. She has also found a way to rip up her underarms with her back legs. Thank goodness I'm not working right now because I have to watch her all the time (very draining..). The big problem is that when she is scratching herself and I tell her "Jessy, no - I can do that for you" she bites me (viciously) when I touch her with my hand or try to interrupt the mutilation. She is a small dog but she has pierced my skin on occasion. I understand that she's in discomfort but should I just dismiss this bad behavior in light of her "suffering"? Is she just reacting as a dog would react because of my intervention? Should I discipline her in some way? If so, how? She knows I have never hurt her purposely and we are very close. I am trying hard to be patient but today when I interrupted her scratching she jumped up at snapped at my face for the first time - I was so surprised and angry at her (I yelled - loud) . It made me realize I need to ask my pals on Pets.ca for advice !!!!

Baby Jessy's Mom :sad:

PS: It's funny how she doesn't try to scratch or bite during her walks and her "barking at the mailman" sessions???!!! Makes you wonder.....