Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old August 3rd, 2004, 06:40 PM
Senior Contributor

Owner regretful he hurt dog

A west Phoenix man accused of dragging his runaway dog behind a pickup truck for nearly a mile said he made an error in judgment and never intended to harm the animal.

Herminio Velasquez, 32, said he is heartsick about the injuries to his 4-year-old female chow and is embarrassed by the community's outcry over his actions.

"I love the dog. My children love the dog. It's part of the family," Velasquez said Monday night, hours after being released from a Maricopa County jail. "It was only a mile to my house. I never thought it would hurt the dog. I wasn't thinking about that."

Velasquez was arrested Sunday on suspicion of felony animal cruelty after he was accused of tying the chow to the back of his pickup because he didn't want to lift the dog into the truck and risk dirtying his clothes before attending church, authorities said.

Velasquez told authorities his wife drove the truck about 10 mph until he noticed the dog was being dragged. He then got out of the pickup and walked the dog home, leaving a 500-yard trail of bloody paw prints behind him, Phoenix police Sgt. Jantra Palmer said.

The chow lost the pads and nails on her paws and suffered serious burn injuries from the ordeal, said Ronnie McGuire, an emergency animal medical technician with the Arizona Humane Society.

The dog remained at a Humane Society shelter Monday, where she received treatment for the injuries. Veterinarians do not believe the wounds are life threatening.

"She's a really sweet dog. It just makes me wonder what crosses these people's minds. There had to be a different alternative," McGuire said. "I don't care if I was in a tuxedo. You can always wash your clothes or get them dry cleaned."

A Maricopa County judge released Velasquez from jail Monday and ordered him to appear at a preliminary court hearing Aug. 18.

Prosecutors will consider this week whether to file formal animal cruelty charges against Velasquez, said Bill FitzGerald, a spokesman with the Maricopa County Attorney's Office. Police also are recommending felony charges against his wife, but she has not been arrested.

If Velasquez is found guilty of the charge, he faces a maximum of two years in prison.

Humane Society officials will hold the dog unless they receive a court order to return her to the family, spokeswoman Kim Noetzel said. By law, Velasquez automatically loses custody of the dog if he is convicted of or pleads guilty to animal cruelty.

But Velasquez said he plans to petition a judge to grant him custody of the dog, which he got about four years ago when she was a puppy.

He calls the chow Centineda, which he said means "always smart and takes care of the house."

"People think I don't love my dog, but that's wrong," Velasquez said.

"I love my dog."

Print This | Email This | Most Popular | Subscribe | Larger Type | Smaller Type News Headlines
• 7 reportedly ill after AC goes out on flight
• Owner regretful he hurt dog
• 2 suspects in carjacking, shooting caught in Biltmore area
• Phoenix ranked low on literate list
• Arizonans welcome new clout vs. HOAs
• Photo radar on Loop 101 draws praise
• Lawmakers may revisit jury duty law
• Today on Arizona Midday
• Walkers remind parents about 1st day of school
• Epic energy tale nears end as transformer arrives in Valley
• Troubles dogging polygamy prophet
• Riding buses easier with on-board info
• Voter campaign targeting Latinos
• Gordon opposes aerial spraying
• Florence chosen as site of next Anthem

azcentral.com - News • Sports • Money • Entertainment • Style • Travel • Health • Food & Home • Shop

The Arizona Republic - Front Page • News • Local • Sports • Arizona Living • Opinions • Jobs

• autos
• business
• CareerBuilder
• personals
• real estate
• rentals
• services
• stuff

• 12 news video
• contact 12
• weather
• obituaries
• lottery
• jobs at 12
• about 12

12 news main | news | 12 news today | weather | sports | about 12 | community | what's on 12

site map | azcentral.com
Old August 4th, 2004, 12:22 AM
banned user

Oh yes, he "loves his dog"........very nearly "loved" her to DEATH
Old August 4th, 2004, 01:50 AM

Unbelievable. Yeah right "I didn't mean to hurt her". Meanwhile her pads and nails are bleeding. Makes you wonder what goes on in their heads.
Old August 4th, 2004, 08:49 AM
banned user

I don't know how the folks are in Phoenix, but I can't imagine him getting that dog back with all the public outcry over this case and all eyes following it so closely. I hope the VOTERS are making their opinions heard.....and that the judge in this case is hearing them.
Old August 4th, 2004, 09:43 AM
Senior Contributor

The humane society rep said they will fight it with everything in court to make sure he does not get dog,and here when stories like that get aired they get hundreds of people wanting to adopt,i will be following it and let you know.I really dont know what people are thinking,it baffles the mind.
Old August 4th, 2004, 09:55 AM
Senior Contributor

I regret the fact that we aren't able to do to these stupid people exactly what they do to their animals!!!
Old August 4th, 2004, 10:06 AM
Senior Contributor

So am i. Are people just that stupid??
Old August 4th, 2004, 10:15 AM
Senior Contributor

Herminio Velasquez, 32, said he is heartsick about the injuries to his 4-year-old female chow and is embarrassed by the community's outcry over his actions.

I think that says it all. The dog got hurt and he's "embarrassed" by the outcry!
Old August 4th, 2004, 10:44 AM
Senior Contributor

Dumb Ass,no Other Way To Describe Him..
Old August 4th, 2004, 11:13 AM
Senior Contributor

If he felt so bad about it when he realized it why did he WALK the dog home. If the dog was bleeding and he felt bad why did he not pick him up and take care of him? Oh yeah I remeber the clothes. But, when the police got involved he did not care about his clothes.

Proud mommy to...
Meat Loaf (Brittany Spaniel) 13 months
CryBaby (5 years old)living with grandpa now
Chino (Doberman mix) 7 months old
2 new kittens (8 weeks old) Felix and Gizmo
Old August 4th, 2004, 12:34 PM

I hope this Dumba$s doesn't get his dog back and he goes to Jail.

how can anyone do something soo cruel to a "loved" pet??

Who cares if you get dirty. like he couldn't go and get washed up and change his clothes before he went to church or even went to a later mass.

Please let us know what happens to this poor Chow and lets hope she doesn't go back to these animal abusers!!

www.dogsdeservebetter.com
www.rescueboard.com
www.pitbullpets.com
Old August 4th, 2004, 12:41 PM
Senior Contributor

I will.. I really doubt he will get him back,it will be the humane society who i am sure could get good lawyers against him,they said they will fight it with everything to make sure he doesnt get him back.