Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old October 8th, 2016, 12:12 PM

Licking

My 13 year old cocker spaniel lays on the floor and licks what ever is in front of him,the carpet,the floor,the bed cover,his bed.He will lay there and lick the same spot for ever.I can't break him of this.
Old October 8th, 2016, 01:38 PM
Senior Contributor

http://veterinarymedicine.dvm360.com...cks-everything

Is your dog on any new meds , I posted a link that might help . Have talked to your vet about this yet?
Old October 8th, 2016, 02:51 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Our 14-yr-old setter had a similar problem, but in addition to licking the bed, the floor, the carpet, etc., she'd also lick her front legs and chest. Turned out to be in response to arthritis pain--once we adjusted her dose of carprofen, she stopped the licking. Have you had your dog evaluated for joint pain?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old October 8th, 2016, 05:59 PM

Thanks for the link.
Henry has a mast cell tumour and has been on Prednisone and Benadryl for the past 4 months.He just started the excessive licking over the past 3 weeks.He always did lick his paws off and on. Nothing has changed in his diet.
Old October 8th, 2016, 06:49 PM
Senior Contributor

When my dog was on Prednisone he was going crazy! He was trying to lick everything and I mean everything, there was a small peck on a wall and Marty was licking at , he was licking the rug, couch etc ! It drove me nuts and I refuse to let him have Prednisone again.
Old October 9th, 2016, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingdog View Post
When my dog was on Prednisone he was going crazy! He was trying to lick everything and I mean everything, there was a small peck on a wall and Marty was licking at , he was licking the rug, couch etc ! It drove me nuts and I refuse to let him have Prednisone again.
Did he do that from the start? Henry has been on it for months now and just started the licking .
Old October 9th, 2016, 11:34 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockertail View Post
Did he do that from the start? Henry has been on it for months now and just started the licking .
I can't remember how long he was on the meds before he started acting weird. Once he was done with it to stopped licking everything . He was really going nuts the poor dog he trying to climb the walls ! I hate giving my dog meds b/c the side effects outweigh the benefits .