Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old June 5th, 2009, 05:48 PM

Recommended Low Fat Foods

Luna was just treated for her second bout of Pancreatitis (she ate a tub of margarine!). It was mild, however, I would like to switch her to a good quality low-fat diet to help out her pancreas. Currently she is eating Eaglepack senior (was on Orijen Senior but my boyfriend bought the wrong kind).

Does anyone have any recommendations?
Old June 6th, 2009, 11:21 AM

I think Orijen senior formula is a great food. But if you want something lower in fat and higher in fiber, Wellness Reduced Fat Core and Now! Senior formulas may work. They are both grain free like Orijen but they both have fat levels between 9% -10% and fiber levels around 10%.

There is also the possibility of making a home cooked diet, that way you cooked reduce the fat levels even more and have full control over her diet.

Good Luck!
Old June 6th, 2009, 12:16 PM
Senior Contributor

You can try checking out Innova low fat cat food

I feed mine Innova EVO and Innova cat & kitten. It's a very good quality food that won't break the bank.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old June 16th, 2009, 10:13 AM

We were given Royal Canin low fat "prescription" diet and she had an allergic reaction. Now the vet wants to put her on Hill's Presctipion diet.

The ingredients for the Hill's he wants to put her on are as follows:

Ground Whole Grain Corn, Brewers Rice, Dried Egg Product, Chicken By-Product Meal, Corn Gluten Meal, Pork Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), Powdered Cellulose, Dicalcium Phosphate, Chicken Liver Flavor, Iodized Salt, Potassium Citrate, Choline Chloride, Calcium Carbonate, Potassium Chloride, Dried Beet Pulp, Soybean Oil, vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid), Taurine, minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), preserved with Mixed Tocopherols & Citric Acid, Rosemary Extract.

Average Nutrient Contents

Nutrient
%
Protein 26.2
Fat 14.1
Carbohydrate (NFE) 50.3
Crude Fiber 2.7
Total Dietary Fiber 8.7
Soluble Fiber 1.2
Insoluble Fiber 7.5

Calcium 1.04
Phosphorus 0.79
Sodium 0.45
Potassium 0.92
Magnesium 0.095

ps. ancientgirl she is a dog hehe

This is her food now

De-boned Turkey, Potato Flour, Apple, Pea Fibre, Pea, Potato,Tomato, Sun Dried Alfalfa,Canola Oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E) , Natural Flavor , Salmon, De-boned Duck, Coconut Oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Whole Dried Egg, Flaxseed, Carrots, Pumpkin, Bananas, Blueberries, Papaya, Pineapple, Grapefruit, Lentil Beans, Broccoli, Spinach, Cottage Cheese, Alfalfa Sprouts, Dried Kelp, Calcium Carbonate, Dicalcium Phosphate, Lecithin, Sodium Chloride, Potassium Chloride,Vitamins: ( vitamin E Supplement, L-ascobyl-2-polyphosphate (source of Vit C), Niacin, Inositol, Vitamin A Supplement, thiamine Mononitrate, D-calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Beta-Carotene, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid, Biotin) Minerals: (Zinc Proteinate, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Iron Proteinate, Copper Sulfate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), Taurine, DL-Methionine, L-lysine, Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Chicory Root extract, Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Casei, Enterococcus Faecium, Bifidobacterium Thermophilum, dried Aspergillus Niger fermentation extract, dried Aspergillus Oryzae fermentation extract, Yeast Extract Kelp, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Chondroitin Sulfate, Marigold Extract, Garlic Powder, L-Carnitine, Dried Rosemary

Crude Protein (min) 24%

Crude Fat (min) 10%
Crude Fiber (max) 6%
Moisture (max) 10%
Calcium (min) 1.2%
Phosphorus (min) .8%
*Omega 6 Fatty Acids (min) 2.2%
*Omega 3 Fatty Acids (min) .42%
Glucosamine (min) 400 mg/kg
Chondroitin (min) 100 mg/kg

I am feeling a little frustrated.
Old June 16th, 2009, 10:22 AM
Senior Contributor

Sorry about that, however, they have low fat doggy food too.

Low fat canned dog food

Low fat dry dog food
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old June 16th, 2009, 10:55 AM
Hazel's Personal Servant

I would not buy the Hills - it's very grain heavy (not to mention higher in fat) and if she happened to be allergic to the grains in the Royal Canin, then I would imagine the Hills will produce a similar reaction. Unfortunately vets are normally not as educated about nutrition as they should be. What education they do receive on nutrition is normally done by companies like Hills. IMO those products are nothing but cheap fillers with tons of vitamins/minerals added in and a hefty price tag attached. I believe its the additives that provide any benefit seen by using those foods, not the food itself.
Old June 16th, 2009, 11:14 AM

I'm not going to feed the Hills. I used to feed it to my cat, until I learned more from this forum.

I think the food she is on now is good, however, I would like to find something lower than 10% The innova looks good, but there are no stores near my house (within bussing distance) that sell it. If I could find somewhere that could deliver to my house, that would be super. I will start looking around, now!

The last thing i want to do is insult my Vet. He is the best veterinarian we've seen and have been going to him for years now. But, I am sure he understands.
Old June 16th, 2009, 11:19 AM

also, on Dogfoodanalysis.com

it says:

Quote:
The main ingredient in this food is corn. Corn is a difficult to digest grain, which limits its nutritional value for dogs. We consider this to be a low quality ingredient. It is also commonly associated with allergy and skin problems. We prefer not to see this grain used in dog food. Corn appears on the ingredient list as corn gluten meal. This is the "dried residue from corn after the removal of the larger part of the starch and germ, and the separation of the bran by the process employed in the wet milling manufacture of corn starch or syrup, or by enzymatic treatment of the endosperm". In plain English, that which remains after all the nutritious bits have been removed. Brewers rice is a further low quality grain and by-product, as is egg product.

This food uses by-products as the sole meat-related ingredient. Chicken by-product meal - a very low quality ingredient. This is defined as "consisting of the ground, rendered, clean parts of the carcass of slaughtered chicken, such as necks, feet, undeveloped eggs and intestines, exclusive of feathers, except in such amounts as might occur unavoidable in good processing practice".

Soy fibre is further filler. We prefer not to see the use of any form of soy in dog food as this is an ingredient of low quality and commonly causing allergy problems.

We note also the use of chemical preservatives - ethoxyquin. This chemicals is banned from use in human food due to being carcinogenic.
Old June 17th, 2009, 11:46 AM
Hazel's Personal Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by .unknown. View Post
The last thing i want to do is insult my Vet. He is the best veterinarian we've seen and have been going to him for years now. But, I am sure he understands.
I'm sure that it won't insult your vet to know that you take your pets nutrition seriously. And if it does, well then IMO it's better to insult your vet than to feed a food that could possibly aggravate existing health issues as well as causing new ones.

IMO the Hills products aren't any better nutrition for your pet than Ol'Roy - both are nothing but fillers and the cheapest ingredients a manufacturer can buy. The only difference is that with a Hills product, you pay a premium food price instead of the $10 for 40lbs that Ol'Roy will cost.