Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old March 25th, 2016, 10:05 AM

Cat startled by apparently nothing (neurological?)

Hi, I'm new on the forum and would like some advice about our cat's illness.

Background
Neutered: Yes
Weight: Healthy
Appetite: Normal

The cat is an indoor and outdoor cat, coming and going as he pleases. He had parasites a little over a year ago, but otherwise been healthy all his life.

Symptoms
He has always been anxious outside, and a little jumpy towards loud noises inside the house, but nothing I would characterise as unusual. But starting a couple of weeks ago he is suddenly startled without any apparent reason. It appears as though he is bitten by something, which makes him run around for a short while before settling down. It happens both when he is asleep and awake, I would guess about 3-4 times each day. The condition has made him reluctant to sleep, and he completely avoids his usual resting/sleeping spots where he has been "bitten" the most. Other than this he shows no changes in his behaviour, or other symptoms.

We have talked with a vet about it, who suggested to treat the cat's coat in case there were something actually biting him. The treatment just finished but has not shown any results, and being unable to figure out the cause we would like some advice. Could it be a neurological illness? If nothing prevails we will take the cat to the vet after the weekend for a thorough examination.

Best regards,
Nils
Old March 25th, 2016, 02:27 PM
Senior Contributor

http://www.peteducation.com/article....1+2140&aid=610

This tell about symptoms cats get as they get older and how to help your cat.
Old March 25th, 2016, 07:56 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

As our dogs have gotten older, some of them have developed arthritis along the spine. As the condition progresses, it irritates the spinal nerves and seems to cause them pain--sort of like the tweaks you might get from a pinched nerve or from the onset of sciatica. The pain seems sudden and often will get them up and scrambling across the room or down the hall. Occasionally they'll even bite or lick at the area where they felt the pain. I wonder if your cat is experiencing something similar?

The dogs have been responding well to anti-inflammatory meds, so it may be possible for a vet to find something that will help your cat. First step would be an evaluation for skeletal abnormalities, looking for arthritis, sponylosis, etc, that may be causing your boy pain...

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old March 26th, 2016, 02:33 PM

Hi rugern:

Welcome to the forum.

Reading your description of your problems with your cat, it sounds similar to the problem we're having with one of ours. It's referred to generally as Rolling Skin Syndrome, or technically, Feline Hyperesthesia Syndrome. I am enclosing a couple of websites for you to have look at, and hopefully they'll give you some idea as to whether or not this could be the problem. Normally this problem shows up in younger cats between the ages of three and four, but there again there is Murphy's law.

Keep us informed, and a photo of your kitty would be greatly appreciated thank you.

https://www.purelypets.com/wellness-...hesia-syndrome
http://www.ehow.com/way_6173004_home...resthesia.html
Old March 28th, 2016, 09:25 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

So sorry you and your dooger are going through this.

That said, great advice everyone! There are many possibilities for this though...and my mind always goes to the simplest ones first.

Quote:
and he completely avoids his usual resting/sleeping spots where he has been "bitten" the most
Is it possible that his resting place might have some insects (bedbugs etc.)

That would be the first thing I rule out.
Hope that may help.
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter