Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old August 11th, 2009, 04:57 PM

What should be done here?

There is a dog "daycare" near where I live that has dozens and possibly 50+ puppies for sale (the owner's son dresses up in a dog costume and stands at the corner with a puppies(!) sign).

Here's the website:
edited by admin

I know this is legal - but I have hears some really awful things about the health condition of these pups. If they are reported to the SPCA, would they go in and check??? I've never been - I have only heard these stories but with the amount of dogs they claim they have for sale, there is no doubt that there must be dozens, at least.
Old August 11th, 2009, 05:03 PM

[QUOTE=shibamom;812886]There is a dog "daycare" near where I live that has dozens and possibly 50+ puppies for sale (the owner's son dresses up in a dog costume and stands at the corner with a puppies(!) sign).

Edited by Admin

I think so. As far as I understand, pet stores have to pass an inspection (yearly? I dont know) in order to renew their license. If the SPCA doesn't do this, they should be able to tell you who to contact.
Old August 11th, 2009, 05:16 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh geez, this makes me SICK! If you scroll down on the main page and click on the breeds they have listed it takes you to the individual puppy pictures. SO MANY OF THEM.

That is not cool. If anything I think petstores need to stop selling animals and support local rescues/shelters.

I'd start by contacting your local SPCA. If this is a well known store, they may already be dealing with the store. If not, they also may be able to direct you to someone who can help further.

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old August 11th, 2009, 05:42 PM

A few things, they have to be zoned properly, have a business license as well have a PST number. If the dogs are in rough shape and you have seen it with your own eyes YES call the SPCA and they will investigate!
Old August 11th, 2009, 05:45 PM
Meaghan Edwards

They should have two options, get shut down, or be forced to adopt out, rather than sell, shelter puppies, etc. Or, just only sell supplies.
Old August 12th, 2009, 08:46 AM
Senior Contributor

Anyone that has taken sick pups and have vet proof should report them to the SPCA or whoever has the mandate to inspect the premises. If you hook up with some activists, they will use pressure tactics to expose this facility.

The more people who know about this, the reputation of the estabishment will be put into question. The only thing I advise is that nothing be put on the internet about them nor on any other media outlet. It could result in a lawsuit.

You must tread within the law in order to expose but remain diplomatic and clean about this. Tread lightly but effectively.
Old August 12th, 2009, 09:50 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMax View Post

You must tread within the law in order to expose but remain diplomatic and clean about this. Tread lightly but effectively.
Good Advice BenMax.

In Ontario...if a dog in a pet store has a soiled cage, lack of water or inadequate space to stand up, turn around and lie flat, or requires medical attention, the the OSPCA will inspect the premises and issue orders that must be complied with by a given date.

It would probably be in the best interest of the animals, that you yourself go into the store and see with your own eyes and make your own judgement, then based on what you see, if needed, call the SPCA.
Old August 12th, 2009, 10:29 AM

Thanks for the info everyone. It has been reported and the SPCA states it will investigate. I will not do anything that encourages any sort of civil action, I am fully aware of what my legal boundaries are in this situation.