Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old March 27th, 2012, 05:28 AM

Can anyone help in telling my cat's age???

Hi everyone!

This is my cat Filou. She is a rescued cat. I was wondering if any of you can estimate her age from these pictures?

These were taken a week after I rescued her.

Thanks for your advice.

You can also see more pics of Filou in my albums, I tried to up load more pics, but my computer is not doing very good right now...

sandyrivers
Attached Images

Elphin April 21st 2008 m -cat
Stibule(Gino,Airell,Katla,Rasta)June 6th 2009 f- cat
Gino Ferrero April 8th 2010 m -cat
Airell Awenn Awnfenn Ep Berrth April 8th 2010 f- cat
Katla Chilam Balam April 8th 2010 f- cat
Rasta Farian Marley April 9th 2010 m- cat
Chipcat-Filou found June 12th 2011 (Ocicat 6months old) f-cat
Jane the Snow Cat rescued Dec27th 2012 f- cat

Last edited by sandyrivers; March 27th, 2012 at 06:00 AM. Reason: add pics
Old March 27th, 2012, 07:59 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

It's near impossible to tell the age of a cat as far as i know....unless you know what to look for and are looking at its teeth.

The wear on the teeth will give a very rough indication of the age of the cat. I'd ask my vet to guestimate the next time I bring the cat in.

Cats stay young looking in order to secure modelling jobs if they ever get fed up with you.
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old March 27th, 2012, 08:20 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

She does look young in those pics, but as Marko says, it could be necessitated by her fallback plan! If she's old, though, I want her beauty secrets! What a doll! And what a sad, sweet story she's lived so far! She sure knew where to come when she needed help. Besides, eight is a good number...

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old March 28th, 2012, 01:22 AM

my cat's age

HI everyone,

I took Filou to the vet last December for her shots and she got spayed in January. When she was at the vet for her shots, my other cat Katla was there also...Katla made such a fuss and gave us a real hard time, so it did not come to mind at that point to ask the vet Filou's possible age...

I will do so next December when she goes back for her annual, but I was just curious to have people's opinion i the mean time!

Filou is very docile, and I am sure I would have no trouble examining her teeth... She would probably open up and say ahhhh if I asked her!
But since I am no expert, and she would be really the first cat in who's mouth I look into, I am not sure I would know what to look for, as I don't have much to compare with!

sandyrivers
Elphin April 21st 2008 m -cat
Stibule(Gino,Airell,Katla,Rasta)June 6th 2009 f- cat
Gino Ferrero April 8th 2010 m -cat
Airell Awenn Awnfenn Ep Berrth April 8th 2010 f- cat
Katla Chilam Balam April 8th 2010 f- cat
Rasta Farian Marley April 9th 2010 m- cat
Chipcat-Filou found June 12th 2011 (Ocicat 6months old) f-cat
Jane the Snow Cat rescued Dec27th 2012 f- cat

Last edited by sandyrivers; March 28th, 2012 at 01:39 AM. Reason: corrections
Old March 28th, 2012, 10:45 AM

There used to be a bunch of cats runnning around my house and occasionally I would put some food out. I noticed one little calico cat who seldom got to the food because the others bullied her away when she tried to eat. I would go outside and the others would run away but she would take advantage of them leaving by jumping up and eating. I was afraid that she would starve so I took her in.

She was small, skinny, short legged, chased toys and generally acted like a kitten. I was 100% sure that she was barely 6 months old. She had leaking nipples, was flea ridden, sneesed and weased all the time, had tearing eyes and a runny nose most of the time. Once inside she ate so much she appeared bloated all the time, stomach distended and hard. The vet was not optomistic and said that he suspected an auto-immune disease. I was in shock at that diagnosis and almost forget to ask him her age. When I did, he looked at her teeth and said 3 or 4 years old. My little sick girl was an adult!

Other than the Vet looking at the teeth and guessing, there is no good way to tell a cats age other than being there when they are born.

ps. 6 years later my little cat is still alive, happy, small, short legged, sneezing, runny nosed, snoring and bloated and acting like a kitten. As far as the bloating goes she simply likes to keep her belly full. She will poop a little 3 or 4 times a day and run to the food dish and eat. I swear she poops just to make more room.

Every day I look at her and am reminded of the quote from 'Gone With the Wind' where Scarlett sais:
"As god as my witness, I'll never be hungry again."