Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Pet photography > Pet photography - Pet pictures

Old April 18th, 2006, 11:06 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpietra16
Wow....its good to know that they are being looked at... . I wonder if they could put my two sisters on there as a courtesy listing??
Sorry to change the subject, but I've had both cats listed on my site since you got them....they are not easy cats to get adopted on a website alone, and they can't come to adoption events so it makes it doubly hard.

If you want another rescue to list them, let me know and I'll take them off my site.
Old April 19th, 2006, 07:28 AM
Senior Contributor

CS,what I have learned about raccoons over the years is, that if there is food,they'll get to it,they are really smart and strong and if there is one,there will soon be more.
Then they have babies and so on...
I stopped feeding them,(not while the babies were young)mostly because I had other critters multiplying,mostly mice,who later invaded my house.
I don't doubt they can be deadly for cats,especially if they fight for food.
My cats are never outside on their own,but I've seen other cats scurry off if they see a coon.
I have been outside at night encountering coons,I am not afraid of them,but know enough not to corner them,they are afraid and will run away.
We've had coons sleeping in our trees in the daytime,probably did not get away before sun-up,but they just sleep,don't bother anybody.
My heart breaks for your poor cats,but other than catching every coon that comes to your house and moving them to a different location,probably resulting in dead babies,I don't know what you can do.
I would feed the cats in the daytime,since it's not cold anymore,I am sure they will seek out another safe place to sleep.
The visiting tom-cat is another big problem..:sad:
Attached Images

Old April 19th, 2006, 09:03 AM
Senior Contributor

Hi Catsnatcher,

Call Urban Animal Advocates run by Harriet Schlieffer. She specializes in
raccoons. Her number is (514) 481-6281.
Old April 19th, 2006, 11:42 AM
Senior Contributor

Sorry LR, don't mean to step on anyones feet, especially when they're doing me a great favour. I sure appreciate your help and will continue to do so. Sorry for the confusion. I pm'd you.
Old April 19th, 2006, 12:18 PM
Senior Contributor

No problem! I was just asking!
Old May 5th, 2006, 02:28 PM

So winter is over and it's another summer with my 5 cats outside. The raccoon hasn't shown up again but every morning their food is empty so I suspect the racoon is there at night. Sometimes I hear cats crying in the neighborhood during the night and always hope it's not one of these five who may be hurt or injured.

So here's Tiger today in the backyard with Puma. They were rolling around together sleeping in the sun until I came to bother them with my camera.
Attached Images

Old May 5th, 2006, 02:29 PM

Here's Tiger. Hard to believe she's been discarded to the streets
Attached Images

Old May 5th, 2006, 02:45 PM
Senior Contributor

They are so beautiful, I wish there was more I could do to help

This thread always makes feel so upset......
Old May 5th, 2006, 03:20 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh..I wish I had a bigger house. I always wonder how they're doing. Great to see a picture of them . I love Tiger. she looks so much like my Nicki. Ths has been 2 years...we need to help these guys....
Old May 5th, 2006, 03:29 PM
Senior Contributor

CS,like Poodletalk,looking at these beautiful cats brings me to tears,Puma looks just like my Chico and Tiger is very,very beautiful:love:
It's frustrating and probably more so for you,that I can do nothing to help:sad: But thank's for reminding everone,these cats still need a home.
The raccoons will always feed at night,if you see one in the day-time,he is not where he wants to be.
Old May 18th, 2006, 09:53 AM

Hello Everyone,

I have news about the Homeless 5...

They have all found a home.
Charlie, Puma and Tiger will be living in a barn owned by a psychologist! (yay!)
Thelma and Louise will be in a much bigger barn with a cat enthusiast!

Both barns are still uner construction and will be ready to home the cats in 3-4 weeks.

I am both happy and sad. Sad because I know that charlie, tiger and puma have a temperement that allows them to retire on the foot of someone's bed instead of a barn. But I am happy because it is very unsafe for them here. Just in the last few weeks:

1.A raccoon has moved into their living space and eats all their food.
2. Three new tomcats are chasing my homeless 5
3. The building in the alley, where they sometimes sneak in the basement, went up in flames and almost trapped them in the basement.

Now all 5 need to be trapped and boarded until they are ready to be transported. Since trapping them all the same day is unlikely, I am looking to board them somewhere until they are delivered. The best quote I got is $10 per day per cat at the vet. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

I will cross post since this thread has now evolved into another issue.
Old May 18th, 2006, 11:38 AM
Senior Contributor

C-S,that's great news for them,I hope
There are a lot of questions in my mind,as will they stay,or try to run back"home",will they be fed and not just barn-mice? etc...
Still I am very happy they do not have to face another Quebec winter outside,although you did your best to keep them safe:love:
Maybe the barn-owners will just fall in love and let them come in the house ever now and then
Sorry I cannot help with boarding,do you have a date already for their move?
I am sure you'll be upset when they leave,but also relieved knowing they'll be better off and you wont constantly have to worry about them.
Old May 18th, 2006, 11:49 AM

Hi Chico,

Thank you for your concern. The barn owners are animal lovers and the cats will be kept in the barns at all times. They will be fed on a regular basis. These barns are not what I had imagined barns to be. They are insulated, furnished and very high-end.

The cats will be secluded to a room for the first 4 to 8 weeks until they are used to their new environment and eating schedule.

The owners seem to be very animal conscious and are associated with rescues. The best scenario is a loving home but that has never materialized over the years.

There is a risk they may run off.... If they run off, it would be my fault and would feel like I had lost a pet. I would be in absolute tears. This scares me to death and makes me doubt my decision but I have no other option. Not even one possible lead has been generated by any of my efforts over the last few years. :sad:

This is an amazing opportunity for them...as long as they don't run off. They have good temperaments... I'm hoping for the best.

Last edited by catsnatcher-CDN; May 18th, 2006 at 11:53 AM.
Old May 18th, 2006, 11:56 AM
Senior Contributor

Thank's,it sounds wonderful,let's hope they are smart enough to stay put,I really am happy for them,as I am sure you are....
No more"Homeless in winter"posts :love:
Old May 18th, 2006, 12:22 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh I'm almost sad that I won't be getting them.....but absolutely thrilled that they will be placed in a great place....Will they be indoors first to get use to the smell...i don't want them to feel like they might have to find their way home.....ok now I'm worried...ca you give the new owners the pets.ca site so that they can keep us up dated...ok now I'm a mother hen..catsnatcher...you think you were bad with your cat scratch....
Old May 18th, 2006, 12:35 PM
Senior Contributor

This is fantastic news for the homeless 5!

Yes,there's always a chance they can run away, but there's a bigger chance if they remain where they are, they could get hit by a car! A local pound can pick them up and euthanise them. Plus Catsnatcher is moving, who will feed them when she's gone?

If catsnatcher wants, she can put collars on them with her name and phone number, chip them.

Lets wish these homeless 5 the best of luck! Catsnatcher, you did a fantastic job over the years sterilizing and feeding these cats!
Old May 18th, 2006, 01:03 PM
Senior Contributor

Poodletalk,oh for sure
But still,you can't help worrying,you kind of get to know the animals on the Forum.
CS definetly went all the way keeping these beautiful,but sad kitties,from dying of cold and hunger
Old May 18th, 2006, 01:25 PM

Cpietra, I know what you mean. It's harder than I thought. The kittens and cats i rescued over the years, I was never bonded with any of them. I worried about their welfare but that was the extent of it. But the homeless 5... especially tiger, charlie and puma, they are like my pets. I can't imagine them in a barn. I've been preparing myself to adjust to them in someone's home but not in a barn.

But Poodletalk is right. It's not safe here for them.

I can see them now outside my window, sprawled in the garden. I keep thinking, I could maybe just take one. But how can I choose between them? Tiger has come around so much. It took a year for her to eat in front of me, now she lets me pick her up and scratch her head as she kneels it forward. Charlie recognizes his name and if I'm walking down the street and don't see him, he meows to remind me he's there under the car, just waiting in the driveway. Even Puma...she's so tiny and fragile and sweet.

I'm happy for them but I know deep in my heart that although there really is no other possible solution for Thelma and Louise, the other 3 could have retired in a home had chance been on their side.
Old May 18th, 2006, 02:05 PM
Senior Contributor

I know...I feel for you. When the day comes it will almost be bitter sweet. I know that in my heart I am glad that they have a place, but I really wanted them in a home.....my home...as for Thelma and Louise...I know they will be hard to get into a home, but it could be done...I guess the barn will be the second best thing for them. Will the people that take Thelma and Louise going to be there and show them human company....or will they be on there own. Will there be toms that may attack them...can they email pictures from time to time....my god its like letting go of a baby.....all I want is a bigger house sa that I can have more than 5 cats....
Old May 18th, 2006, 02:11 PM

I know that all cats will have human contact and there are no other cats inside the barns. I'm under the impression that these cats are their limits as well.

I still have my fingers corssed that by some miracle one of them will still get adopted before the big day. But I know it's unlikely.

For now, all my efforts are concentrated on find a place that will board them for the next few weeks.
Old May 18th, 2006, 02:30 PM
Senior Contributor

Let me see who i can talkto ...if its only for one month maybe I can get some of my friends to help...I can't promise, but I will try.
Old May 18th, 2006, 03:46 PM
Senior Contributor

CS,believe me,had it been at all possible I would have adopted Tiger in a flash,she is to me perfect,I LOVE Maine Coons..I had one once,a male who died at a very young 3 yrs.:sad:
We've had sooo many cat-adoptions on this Forum,I am surprised nobody wanted these guys and girls.Maybe the fact they were outside played a role.
I hope the new owners will keep you posted,so we can hear how they are doing and I pray they will not run away...
Thank you for doing what you could for these cats over a long time and having them spayed/neutered,at least they will not be breeding.
Thank's also to the wonderful people involved getting them a new home,even if it is a barn
Old May 19th, 2006, 10:28 AM

Can you spot six cats?

I've started feeding the "homeless 5" inside the cages so that they will be easier to trap. I have 2 cages but will have 2 more by Monday. Ten days before the move, I'll starting trapping them one by one and boarding them at the vet's office. (This is gonna cost me a bundle but I don't have another option).

All cats eat inside the cage except for Thelma who I haven't seen go inside yet.

The orange cat is a new tomcat who eats by default. I don't know where he comes from but he's been showing up lately. Also, the raccoon under tha balcony has taken up permanent residence with HER BABY!

One problem nearly solved, another soon begins!
Attached Images

Last edited by catsnatcher-CDN; May 19th, 2006 at 10:30 AM.
Old May 19th, 2006, 10:50 AM
Senior Contributor

Nice picture Catsnatcher!

Did the lady ever call you back for the raccoon?
Old May 19th, 2006, 11:00 AM

nope, but i heard she won't relocate the raccoon but instead will give me advice on how to prevent it from nesting and returning. I googled the info and there's notmuch i can do without affecting the homeless 5.
Old May 19th, 2006, 11:37 AM
Senior Contributor

The barns that these cats will be going into are not what most people might think.

They are new structures built by animal lovers and I"m sure the cats will have a safe and warm shelter. Those are the only kind we put cats into. We would never EVER put cats into shabby, filthy cold spaces with the type of people who don't believe in s/n and who think nothing of drowning litters of kittens.

No, it's not ideal, but it's a LOT better than what they have now and for feral cats it's a very good option since trying to find indoor homes for ferals or even for skittish or shy cats is a monumental task. Most people who want to adopt are not looking for a cat who hides under the bed for 6 months, or who will bite and scratch.
Old May 19th, 2006, 06:01 PM
Senior Contributor

I believe that if you think the homeless 5 will be safe...then I will believe you. I know you would never jeopordize them in any way. Is thefarm out of the way where they will encounter foxes, or other predators they they usually never see in a city??
Old May 19th, 2006, 08:11 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Is thefarm out of the way where they will encounter foxes, or other predators they they usually never see in a city??
Foxes are small animals, weighing about 12lbs, and would be insane to attack another predator the same size - or bigger - who is much better armed to defend itself. Foxes much prefer rabbits and mice as prey.

Feral cats are tough and wily creatures and usually steer clear of wild animals like raccoons and coyotes. If they managed to survive in the city, they'll do fine in a barn.

At least they won't be out in the cold or starving to death.
Old May 20th, 2006, 06:29 AM
Senior Contributor

C-S,I would leave the raccoon-mom be,relocating her and her baby would cause more harm than good.
As soon as the baby is old enough and there is no more food outside,they'll leave.
I am not being critical about the kitties going to barns,it's definetly the best solution,since nobody wants them:sad:they'll be warm and fed,probably feel like they are in heaven...but I am allowed to worry still,right?
The pic of them in the grass is wonderful,but the sad pics we got in the winter were heartbreaking,so yes,this is a good thing
Old May 20th, 2006, 10:28 AM
Senior Contributor

Chico, if I had my way, every cat would be curled on someone's lap, or purring in front of a cozy fireplace.

But as long as people continue to be mean, cruel and stupid, and to see cats as disposable garbage, this is not going to happen.

I look at my own indoor feral cat, and although she won't let me pick her up or approach her, she's quite happy indoors - well-fed, warm and comfortable.

I'm sure all of Catsnatcher's cat would love to be inside too, but there's no one to take them.