Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! > Senior dogs

Old August 15th, 2012, 09:00 AM

Dog has skin Condition Vet Doesnt know what it is...? Anyone know?

I have an american staffordshire terrier ... he is a pure breed... very nice dog and very healthy.

Only thing is he has developed these spots under his belly. his belly (skin) used to be a pink color... over the summer from being outside all the time his skin turned dark brown/black... at first we though it was dirt... now its kind of black but there are pink spots showing up that kind of look like what his whole belly used to look like.

We have had a hot summer... i am not sure what to make of the spots... he doesnt itch them or lick them. everything seems normal with his attitude and behavior.

A couple months ago we pulled a tick off him that was biting him but it wasnt engorged and it is known that it wasnt in there for long. we check him all the time. they are easy to see on him because the color of his hair and his hair is really short. we can spot tiny ticks on him from far away. I dont think its from the tick bite but i figured it would throw that out there.

I am just not sure what is making this happen
Attached Images

Old August 15th, 2012, 10:21 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Welcome! what do you feed him? These spots look alot like my old dog Winston used to have for awhile. We tried everything to get rid of them. Mine may have been a bit worse than the ones you have shown. We tried things from the vet and then we suspected it might have been environmental or pesticides but in the long run I made a food change.

Basically I went from a regular lamb and rice and/or chicken based food to

No grains, no by products, and a kibble that had a high meat content.

We used Orijen food if you havent heard of it.
http://orijen.ca/

As soon as we made the change the spots disappeared and never returned and we had been trying for a couple of years to figure out what was causing them.

Good Luck

He is beautiful by the way!!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old August 15th, 2012, 10:30 AM
Senior Contributor

Welcome to the board. Your boy is beautiful and happy looking. I would agree with Winston that a change in food couldn't hurt. What are you feeding him now? If it's something from a grocery store it's probably garbage. We have lots of info on foods in the food threads, but Orijen is a great product.
Old August 15th, 2012, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston View Post
Welcome! what do you feed him? These spots look alot like my old dog Winston used to have for awhile. We tried everything to get rid of them. Mine may have been a bit worse than the ones you have shown. We tried things from the vet and then we suspected it might have been environmental or pesticides but in the long run I made a food change.

Basically I went from a regular lamb and rice and/or chicken based food to

No grains, no by products, and a kibble that had a high meat content.

We used Orijen food if you havent heard of it.
http://orijen.ca/

As soon as we made the change the spots disappeared and never returned and we had been trying for a couple of years to figure out what was causing them.

Good Luck

He is beautiful by the way!!

Thank you he is cute. I feed him Nutro Lamb and Rice. I have been feeding him that for a long time, ever since i took him off his puppy food. What other food should I try if the Orijen is not available. Which flavor did you get for the Orijen?
Old August 15th, 2012, 10:46 AM

Thank you he is cute. I feed him Nutro Lamb and Rice. I have been feeding him that for a long time, ever since i took him off his puppy food. What other food should I try if the Orijen is not available. Which flavor did you get for the Orijen?
Old August 15th, 2012, 11:42 AM
Senior Contributor

Do you have a "Global Pet Food" store? They have good knowledge of pet food.
Old August 17th, 2012, 04:04 AM
Senior Contributor

What has your vet tried?
Old May 20th, 2013, 02:19 PM

I have a mix jack Russell/beagle female that was nearly pure white (except the face) with the cutest pink underbelly when we first got her. As she got older (one to two years) we began to notice grey to black spots developing on her stomach. As she got older she even developed some dark pigmentation on her sides, back, nose and legs under her beautiful white fur. You never mentioned your dog's age. Could there have been breeding at some point with a brindle or darker dog in the lineage?
Old May 21st, 2013, 07:17 AM
Senior Contributor

Big Max, the three posts this OP ever made on the forum are all in this thread and the person has not come back to update us since August 2012. I'm sure we all hope it has resolved and the dog is fine.