Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! > Senior dogs

Old July 30th, 2013, 12:16 PM

Seizures in old dog

Leo, who is elevin-ish years old, has started having 5-10 second seizures a few times per day. Vet examined him and says, without doing a barrage of (expensive) tests, its hard to know for sure what the cause is. I forgot to ask the vet about anti-seizure meds for Leo, but is that something we should explore? I assume the vet has a good reason for not suggesting them, but I thought I'd check in here to see if anyone has an input or insights into this.

He is eating (less than normal, but enough) and drinking and while his balance seems affected, and he seems more lethargic than normal, he is otherwise pain free and seems comfortable. So, our course of action is to love Leo and carry on, until something changes or he begins to deteriorate further.

Anyone have any advice to offer to us as we navigate this new period of Leo's life? Vet says he's not optimistic about a recovery, and he sounded like he thought this could be the end for old Leo, which we are accepting of, if that's the case. We just want to make sure we do right by our old boy.
Attached Images

Old July 30th, 2013, 03:46 PM
Senior Contributor

Sorry I have no advice to offer, seizures is not something my pups have ever gone through. But bless you for taking good care of old Leo. He's a handsome pup to say the least. I'm sure someone will be along who has experience and can help you. Very cute little boy too! They look like they adore each other.
Old August 4th, 2013, 02:51 AM
Senior Contributor

You could check the thyroid and run a tick panel.
Old August 4th, 2013, 10:57 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Hard to believe your boy is already 11! I remember when you adopted him!

I'm with MaxaLisa--we'd likely run a tick panel and do an antibody thyroid test. If it turns out to be either, then you've got another treatment to try--and if both are negative, then at least you know what it isn't and you know that loving Leo and carrying on is probably your best option. Give the sweet boy a hug from me, pls!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."