Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum

Old May 17th, 2007, 07:43 AM
<-----nut ball

need EASY camp food ideas!!

I know I'm leaving this to the last minute, but I'm going camping this weekend and I haven't really planned most of the food I want to take!!

The thing is, we aren't going to a regular camp ground - its a festival on a farm. The access to water and such is going to be harder, and I don't know what types of facilities I will have access to for cleaning dishes, etc.

So this is what I planned - I make ahead of time a bunch of eggs/potato/pepper/onion/sausage hash and freeze in individual portions so that all I have to do is take it out and heat in a fry pan and serve.

Then I am making a bunch sandwiches in my sandwich maker (you know, those ones that you can put fillings in and when you close it it toastes it cuts the bread diagonally into to pockets?). I'm going to make some ham and cheese and pizza sandwiches. These I can just toast over a grill plate on the stove for a min or 2 and no need for any pans or even dishes really (just in your hands with a paper towel).

But beyond that, I don't know. I have some sausages I could pre-cook and just grill/heat through and put in a bun? Or I could bring some cans of chili or pork/beans. I dunno.

I want good filling food that is easy, and doesn't create a lot of dishes to wash. Most of the camping food I grew up with is more involved and I don't want that this weekend.
Old May 17th, 2007, 08:41 AM
Senior Contributor

I've only been camping a handful of times. We would go with 7 families and divide up the meals so that everyone got a turn feeding everyone. I remember one of the meals that worked the best was Sloppy Joe's. We mixed a big batch of that at home and just reheated it and plunked it on buns. This would work well with chili too. You could make it at home and then just reheat it and add cheese, and chips and onions or whatever.
Old May 17th, 2007, 08:46 AM
Honest Contributor

here are a bunch of great "foil recipes": http://camping.about.com/cs/outdoorc...p/foilwrap.htm

good luck & have fun!!

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
Old May 17th, 2007, 11:10 AM

It depends on what kind of camping you like to do. I park and hike, so for me it's all about ziplock cooking and dehydrated goods. My FAVORITE treat at camp is zipped rice pudding, which is absolutely disgusting at home, but sooooo heavenly at camp. Things like sausage, cheese and tortilla wraps are always a good thing to have too. And beef jerky. Gotta have the jerky!

The prep is always the worst, but it'll all fit into your pack, and taste GOOD at camp.
Old May 17th, 2007, 01:50 PM

Fun, camping! One thing I like to eat at camp is campfire-grilled italian sausages or brats. Yum! To go with the sausages, I sometimes roast peppers in the coals (green peppers, or something spicier like poblanos). These can be tricky as they will burn if the fire is too hot. Otherwise, roast them in the coals (or perhaps on a grill if they fire is too hot) until they are soft, then pull them out with tongs and place in a ziploc bag for maybe 10-20 min, or until cool enough to handle. If done right, the charred skins can then just be slipped off, leaving the nice smoky tasting peppers underneath.
Old May 17th, 2007, 03:13 PM
-

Make up your fave pasta sauce and bring some tortellini or other soft pasta as it takes no time to cook (use less fuel!), drain the pasta then throw in your sauce ~ one pot !

Buy pre-sliced canned potatoes for a fry up with either scrambled eggs or salmon burgers ( 1 can salmon drained, a couple of green onions and maybe some red pepper diced finely, 1 egg and enough soda crackers to firm up the salmon into patties).

Make up some rib-sticking veggie or meat based stew to re-heat.

Pancakes are always a camping fave. And you can always buy frozen berries for a topping to avoid sticky syrup.

Have fun !
Old May 17th, 2007, 10:00 PM

Ooooo have fun!!! I have no idea for fast meals other than pancake mix.
Old May 21st, 2007, 09:20 AM
Personal servant to Joey

I recently bought my kids KD in a cup you just pour in hot water and stir. Its like mr noodles kind of.

Spay or neuter your girl or guy
Please dont let us multiply!
Old May 22nd, 2007, 07:14 AM
Hunter & Bogart's daddy

1 word: Instant Noodles