Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum

Old May 2nd, 2007, 01:09 PM
<-----nut ball

Food for a crowd?

I have the option to bring a dish/meal/item for a "feast" and a Pagan Festival I'm attending on May long weekend (2 weeks away). My friend is arranging the fesitval at a friends farm. It's going to be a communal fun weekend with rituals, workshops, and all kinds of fun stuff.

I want to create something for the dinner, but I don't know what. I can cook basically everything, but it has to travel well and can't really be refridgerated.

I am an expert artisan bread maker, but to make enough bread for everyone and not have it go stale (I don't use preservatives) would be too hard. I could make desserts or something, but that can be expensive (running a little low on cash). I want to do something that shows my talents and that tastes good and is easy to transport.

Any thoughts? There is no electricity, only gas stoves/fires and coolers to keep things cold (car camping basically).

I would love to get a whole pig to roast (I know a great butcher) but I'm not sure how that would work. I could pack it in a cooler on the way there, and roast it over a fire, but I haven't done that in a few years...could be hard if it's cold out.

I need suggestions!!!
Old May 2nd, 2007, 01:27 PM
Boss-lady!

Rice Pilaf? It reheats well with a little water or broth added and would be easy to transport.

It can also be quickly turned into a jambalaya with some canned tomatoes, onions, celery and whatever meat is available. Or smoked sausages transport OK, too, as the basis for jambalaya.

Sounds like a great weekend-I have fond (if fuzzy ) memories of WicCan Fest.

"You can't have a good day in bad underwear"- Fruit of the Loom ad
Old May 2nd, 2007, 02:35 PM
<-----nut ball

You've been to WicCan Fest? I always find it to be too expensive and you get jipped if you can't spend the whole week, so I've never gone. I've always wanted to go though.

Actually, I believe that is why my friend is doing this - it's our own wiccan fest since we are kinda annoyed at how they are doing it - no option to have weekend passes (its like almost $200 for a week pass, which is TOTALLY not worth it if you can only go saturday and sunday) and too expensive.

If you want the info, i beleive it's open attendance. just send me a PM and I can look into it.

And a bonus! I get to bring Odin with me!!

I didn't think of rice/pilaf. That's a good option, since I have 2 rice cookers! Hmmm...i will consider that.
Old May 2nd, 2007, 03:03 PM
Boss-lady!

I went in the mid 90's, so it was cheaper then and I remember there being a weekend or daypass rate, as well. I missed the year that Janet Farrar was there. I looked at the website for Fest this year and it seems a bit different than it used to be. It was cool but it sounds as if what your friend is organizing will be much the same-a laid back camping for adults weekend. I'll pass on the info for now, though-there's no way I'd be able to get away for a weekend right now.

I love rice and rice pilaf for its versatility! You can dress it up in so many ways. The jambalaya idea was my husband's-we were looking for a quick dinner one night and had a half batch of pilaf in the fridge. A few add-ins, and there was dinner.

"You can't have a good day in bad underwear"- Fruit of the Loom ad
Old May 2nd, 2007, 03:11 PM
Honest Contributor

everyone loves the huge dip plate! easy to transport and assemble, not too expensive make...

just spread a jar of salsa on a wide plate, then spread a container of sour cream on top but make the circle a bit smaller, so you see the salsa around it. the middle can be drained black beans (mashed), jar of sliced jalapeno peppers, or guacamole or anything else you like. then sprinkle grated yellow cheese on top, dump a bag of tortilla chips in a bowl and there you go!

you can also bake pita or tortilla wedges in your oven first (just cut before heating in your oven) and bring those along.

guacamole is easy to make on the spot, just mash up some avocados with some salt, lemon juice, fresh crushed garlic and a bit of salsa for heat, or sour cream for creamyness.

YUM! always a party favorite

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love: