Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Cat food forum

Old February 25th, 2009, 11:27 PM
Senior Contributor

Something is definately up with wellness

I just bought a new bag of wellness indoor health and scooped some kibble into Onnie and Bunduks bowls that had some kibble from the last bag left over. Well, there is definately something up.

The colour of the kibbles is off! This new batch is quite pale in colour. Onnie sniffed it and then ate happily but I dunno..........I think this might be their last bag of wellness. This just makes me uneasy as for the first time ive seen a change after reading about other people reporting a difference too.

Ive fed wellness for a long time now and this is the first batch that has been off in colour Is it normal to have some variation? Did anyone experience this before wellness was bought out?

"No, Bunduk, Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!"
Old February 25th, 2009, 11:43 PM
Senior Contributor

Pics

Here are pics. There is a super big difference right?!?! Supposedly the same formula!! Plz ignore the one dish with the crusty wet food leftovers in it breakie leftovers.

Name:  wellness.jpg
Views: 428
Size:  54.2 KB

Name:  wellness2.jpg
Views: 422
Size:  36.1 KB

hmmmmm.

Old February 26th, 2009, 12:23 AM

Oh god.

This makes me SO afraid. I had been so happy to be feeding my kitten Wellness canned, and now seeing this and the other thread...
DAMN that grace period they have between changing the formula and changing the label! stupid, stupid Hagen.

I just can't believe Wellness would have let themselves be bought out. Now I don't know what I'm going to feed Chloe, Wellness was a safe, findable option and I felt it was the best.
Old February 26th, 2009, 12:25 AM
Senior Contributor

I know its got me peeved too!!!!! I had been reading reports of kitties turning up their noses at wellness canned and the last post about wellness dog food but i didnt notice a change so i didnt think much but then wham I get this weird food!!

I feed my two wellness canned and the kibble as well.

I think ima have to start looking for alternatives :sad: * Anyone know something similar to wellness?* I cant do grain free (tho I tried) because Onnie has issues (anal glands).

Old February 26th, 2009, 12:44 AM

Ughh. We had gone without Wellness for a week or two, and during that period we just fed Chloe Orijen..
When we bought Wellness again (maybe 2 weeks ago?) she began to throw up! She's okay now, but I remember I was wondering if something was up with the food- she usually has a very strong stomach and takes immediate switches no problem. She's thrown up maybe 5 times total since we bought the newest batch of cans then.

As for cans, the most I can think of is Newman's Own Organic cans, Nature's Logic, Natural Balance, Halo's... Agh. Not sure if some of them have grains or not though..
Old February 26th, 2009, 12:48 AM
Senior Contributor

Orijen is a good food. I would stick with that if your kitty tolerates it well.

My cats were doing well on it overall health wise, the problem was that my one cat had to have his anal glands expressed alll the time cuz the lack of bulk wasnt expressing them naturally and the other had diarrhea (tho i think he has developed a more robust stomache since). Ever since I `changed to wellness no problems. I do miss his shiny coat from orijen tho

Old February 26th, 2009, 12:59 AM

If you are ever at all uneasy with any food return it to the store for a refund

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old February 26th, 2009, 01:00 AM
Senior Contributor

but i dont have the reciept anymore..tho i did special order it so they know I bought it from them ( i got a bigger bag..somtimes do that).

Am I being paranoid tho? i mean i dont wanna be drama queen about this...if others saw this would the be concerned? I mean cats are eating it fine...im just the one whose miffed.

Old February 26th, 2009, 01:10 AM

Personally that much of a change even just colour would concern me, as to the cats being fine eating I am NOT saying the Wellness is tainted but Duffy seemed fine eating the tainted RC bag

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old February 26th, 2009, 01:13 AM
Senior Contributor

thanks growler.
I think ill take the bag in and ask for another and see what they say. I think in any case this ( or the replacement bag) will be the last bag of wellness i get.

Old February 26th, 2009, 08:13 AM
Blue eyed funny farm

The Min Pin here is on Wellness Core and I noticed that too in the bag of food. Some kibbles are pasty looking others look like good food.
Wonder whats going on.
Perhaps Iwill email them and ask.
Old February 26th, 2009, 09:32 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by onster View Post
Orijen is a good food. I would stick with that if your kitty tolerates it well.

My cats were doing well on it overall health wise, the problem was that my one cat had to have his anal glands expressed alll the time cuz the lack of bulk wasnt expressing them naturally and the other had diarrhea (tho i think he has developed a more robust stomache since). Ever since I `changed to wellness no problems. I do miss his shiny coat from orijen tho
onster, when Evan was on the hypoallergenic food for his IBD he was having issues with the lack of fiber in them. We were able to regulate him by adding powdered metamucil to his food. Think your cats would eat a non-grain food with a little metamucil on it? It worked great for Evan, but he was a dog.

That really is quite the color change. I don't think I'd be comfortable feeding something that changed so much from one bag to the next...

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old February 28th, 2009, 08:12 PM
Senior Contributor

They didnt take the food back I was told that with the big bags of food if u dont seal them properly they can start to go off/get stale..even tho this bag was new and that was the first kibble I scooped out after openning!

Also they told me the thing about all the batches being kinda different.

This is so annoying.

Old February 28th, 2009, 08:24 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Well, that's a bummer Maybe if you wrote or emailed Wellness?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old March 1st, 2009, 12:14 AM
-

Quote:
They didnt take the food back I was told that with the big bags of food if u dont seal them properly they can start to go off/get stale..even tho this bag was new and that was the first kibble I scooped out after openning!

Also they told me the thing about all the batches being kinda different.

This is so annoying.

That is total crap.

The colour of the kibble is not going to change because of that. I would tell whatever pet store you bought it from that this is not acceptable and contact Wellness to get some answers......good luck.
Old March 1st, 2009, 01:14 AM
~Cat Servent~

I've got emails in to Fromm's for the same issues with the kibble... I've mentioned before that Palomine won't eat certain batches and there is a real difference in colour in those bags (but my store will let me return anything the cats don't like or won't eat). As for Wellness, I have found that even the canned has that problem too, some cans they can't eat fast enough, and others even Buddy turns his nose up at. I wish I could interest my guys in the prepared raw... but canned is a big enough fight here...

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old March 1st, 2009, 09:38 AM
Jag and Gingers dad

I wouldn't feed it if you don't trust it. Global on Strassburg sells the Innova and they also sell the Evo.i was in there yesterday as pet value doen't carry the food i feed and they seem to have a good selection on can food.
Old March 1st, 2009, 11:01 AM
Senior Contributor

Onnie and Bunduk have been chowing down on the catgrass lately. In fact I woke up to go the washroom tonight and Onnie was just eating and eating grass (its in the washroom as I just grew it from seeds).

I take that as a sign that their tummies may be upset so Im just stopping this bag of food.

Angeldogs Ive never gone to global (petvalu is like 5 mins away from my house) but I think I will go there today to pick up food. Im annoyed with the service at petvalu. Thanks.

Oh and I emailed wellnes- we'll see what they say.

Kr did fromms ever respond to the email?

Old March 1st, 2009, 11:05 AM
Senior Contributor

oh and today my mom said we should homecook..I wonder though why most do raw rather than homecook?

Its great that my mom is totally up for this! (not raw food yet tho). Ill have to research it.

Old March 1st, 2009, 11:14 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Onster - when I had my problem with that food company (plastic string in food) I emailed them. I got a reply quickly. Well, within 24 hours. They asked me to send pics so they could see the plastic. Once I did that they sent me some free coupons. Didn't do my much good seeing as the cats weren't eating it any more. Now though they seem to not mind a can once in a while.
If I saw that big of a difference in colour I would not be feeding. Just my

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old March 1st, 2009, 01:53 PM

I would call the number on the bag. I've done this with Kirkland pet food. They called back right away. They will ask you for the batch number, that way they can check their samples that they keep of each batch. Sending the picture might help too. They told me they get a couple of calls a day from people asking about the food.
Old March 1st, 2009, 07:42 PM
Jag and Gingers dad

Quote:
oh and today my mom said we should homecook..I wonder though why most do raw rather than homecook?

Its great that my mom is totally up for this! (not raw food yet tho). Ill have to research it.
Homecooking is a good way to feed.but it is more time consuming then raw.i had looked at feeding that way but found it would have cost more to feed homecooked then raw.

Did you find something at global today?.
Old March 1st, 2009, 07:56 PM

I found this site very informative: http://www.rawfedcats.org/
it talks about the benefits of raw fed cats and about what to feed, etc.

My understanding is that raw is better than homecooked because raw meat has dental benefits and nutrients that are lost during the cooking process...

“Dogs believe they are human. Cats believe they are God.”

"The average dog is a nicer person than the average person."
Old March 1st, 2009, 08:09 PM
~Cat Servent~

I did get a reply, but not on that issue... still haven't heard anything back on that. But the very knowledgable lady at my Global said that it's possible, because it seems to be a pattern like every other batch, the company may rotate who they get the duck from, which could be fed a different diet and then have a slightly different colour meat. I think it's more likely that someone working at the plant is not consistant when adding the ingredients to each batch. Because as we all know quality control when it comes to pet food is a little lax!

And Wellness was taken over by some other company, who swore they didn't change the formulas, but it's quite obvious that they either changed formulas or the quality of the ingredients. I keep trying EVO with my guys, but they are still hooked on the Wellness canned turkey and salmon.... I'm having trouble getting them to eat something without salmon in it!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old March 1st, 2009, 09:03 PM
Senior Contributor

Angeldogs i got caught up w diezel and ended up not going today. Im going tomorrow 4 sure Today they just had wet food, much to their delight

Thanks masha for the site, ill check it out.

I sent them an email today...well see what happens

kr u feed canned only?

Old March 2nd, 2009, 07:35 AM
Jag and Gingers dad

I think you will like their selection and service.The guy that owns the one on Universty and Bridge st also owns the one on Belmont.
Old March 2nd, 2009, 07:47 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I love Global Pet Foods. The one here in Kingston will do their best to get in any food you want and will take back any food that your pet does not like. Plus they adopt out my fosters on behalf of the humane society.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old March 2nd, 2009, 09:09 AM
Senior Contributor

Onster,my cats eat only Wellness canned,I honestly think it's more the way cats are that's the problem,not the food.
Sometimes they'll devour it,others it takes them a little longer.
I have not noticed any difference in the canned Wellness.
My cats did the same when I was feeding FF,sometimes they loved it and sometimes they did not,frustrating but cats are like that.

The distinct change in color in the dry,could have many reason,but it will be interesting what they have to say.
Old March 2nd, 2009, 11:17 AM
~Cat Servent~

Quote:
I sent them an email today...well see what happens

kr u feed canned only?

Ya let us know... and don't I wish, no I still feed dry, two feedings a day because Palomine is super fussy with the wet and won't always eat it, and Windy and Asker won't touch it. I tried all the tricks and even wetting the dry food doesn't work on them. I'm not giving up though, I just keep trying new brands. I may have to resort to FF for Windy too, because that's what got Smoke onto the wet food. It's frustrating because that usually means that Buddy finishes his wet, then moves on to the dry then makes another round to clean up any leftover wet from the others too... which is really not helping him lose some weight! But if I take everything up when he's done, well then no one eats (especially Asker who doesn't come to the food bowls till everyone is gone). And Fagan is another wrinkle, until I get his in depth allergy testing done, I have no idea what is causing his chewing episodes so we are not feeding him chicken, fish, or beef, it took me two years to find a dry that seemed to work and not be too bad for ingredients. Plus, canned only for 6 is not cheap... in the long run I know it may make a difference in my vet bills, but right now I just don't have the money to fork out up front.

Old March 2nd, 2009, 03:12 PM
Senior Contributor

I know what you mean Kr, you are doing a fantastic job.

I passed by petvalu again cuz I wanted to talk to the owner (who usually works weekday mornings). So just to be fair Ill say what he told me. First, he said if im not satisfied I can return the bag - which I did . Also he said thatthey (im assuming they = wellness) released an FYI about the colour change because many people were asking. He said he's noticing it with a lot of kibbles and that in the same bag you may have light and dark. They said its nothing of concern just colour. Still waiting to hear from wellness.

Angeldogs Im going to global later on today...ill let u know how it goes