Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Lost & Found (Pls include a pic if possible & write location in TITLE)

Old November 25th, 2010, 08:04 AM
Senior Contributor

Cayenne,not to give you more worry,but unfortunately yes
A friend of mine who let her declawed little cat out,lost her to Coyotes,there was evidence left so she knew it was from her cat.
A cat with his claws has obviously a much better chance of escaping any threat,another reason not to mutilate a cat.

Look up in the trees when you are searching,I still think someone might have him,he is very beautiful and unusual.
Hopefully the award money will bring them forward
Old November 25th, 2010, 09:16 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Have you got a live trap set up on your porch or somewhere close to a window where your cat may try getting back in the house? It is possible he is coming back in the middle of the night to get back inside but you aren't hearing him. He may probably be hungry so baiting the trap with tuna, sardines, anything stinky will draw him to it.
A live trap will not hurt him but may save his life if he is out there frightened. It is much quicker and safer than other methods of capture IMO.
Are you still going to your local HS to check every day? Remember to check the feral and sick rooms as well as he may be there.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old November 25th, 2010, 11:23 AM

thanks for reply.
no, my boy is not declawed, and I am kinna glad I forgot to trim his claws before he escaped, so he would be able to climb trees no problem. It never occur to me to look up in trees. that's what I am going to do today.
thanks for your advices.
Old November 25th, 2010, 11:33 AM

14+, yes, I have a shelter set up for him outside. I first put a box under the porch and then found out there were rabbits hiding there during night,. So, not I put Caynee's cage on the porch, put in there his fav. blanket and pillow (it has my scent on it too, so I hope it will help), and put out some food. But nothing had even moved for a week.
I think chico is right, someone has him. So I am kinna hoping that someone DOES have him, if you know what I mean. I just would rather know that my boy is safe, then that he is hurt and hungry and cold.
Old November 25th, 2010, 01:05 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I could see somebody scooping him up, he is a beauty. Have you tried the calling at night around the neighbourhood to see if he comes to a window? Cats should be able to hear you from inside, with no problem, unless a house is all brick, but with stucco and siding the sounds go through pretty good.

The other thing is to call on everybody in your vicinity, who knows, he may come running to the door when he hears your voice.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old November 25th, 2010, 04:57 PM
Senior Contributor

Phew,I am glad he is not declawed,his chances are much better outside.
Did you stick"lost Cat"posters with a pic in as many vet-offices as possible?
A vet would recognize him right away...
Still hoping and for his safe return
Old November 25th, 2010, 10:58 PM

no, no...I would never declaw my pet. I can get a new furniture, but I cannot get my pet his full life. I called as many vet clinic as I could get a hold of, gave them description, microchip number, and all special markings, I contacted radio stations, they put it out there (I should contact them again I guess). I placed a quarter size ad in Edmonton Examiner for my area (all north west), I went last night out putting posters further and further away from my house (this is where I had an encounter with coyotes). So, one might say I am a crazy cat lady, but I would say I am determined to find my baby.
Old November 26th, 2010, 09:37 AM
Senior Contributor

Cayenne,then we are all crazy cat-ladies,I would search high and low,day and night if one of my cats was missing.
"Crazy-Catlady"is actually not a bad nick-name

I know you have gone all out to find your boy and we allthat he will be home soon
Old November 26th, 2010, 10:47 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I wouldn't be able to sleep if one of my cats was missing, so I guess I am in that category too.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old November 26th, 2010, 11:48 PM

scam?

Hi, everyone.

I have a question, how easy is it to fly with a cat from Canada to States? how long does the procedure of quarantine (if any) would take? would the pet be scanned first to identify any micro chips or tattoos?

the reason why I am asking all this because this morning I got a call from a man claiming that he has my boy. BUT, the man is from NY. He told me that he bought a cat when he was visiting friends in Edmonton. It was less then 2 weeks ago. Then he flew back to NY, and now his friends are calling him saying that the cat he bought has the owner. So, he said, he decided to contact me because he is a christian and that he wants to do the right thing. I was happy-skeptical-cautious, so I asked him to send me some pictures of the cat to make sure that it is my boy. I am still waiting on them...

Any opinions - scam or might be truth?
Old November 26th, 2010, 11:58 PM
banned user

No quarantine but he would have been asked for health records which he wouldn't have been able to provide unless he had taken to a vet before leaving Canada.
I only had one scam during my search....and when asked for picture or micro # this person was never heard from again.
I am sure it was for the reward or just a prank.
Don't rule it out but don't let your guard down...keep up the search...it is easy for him to give you the microchip #.....and no the pet is not scanned for that before leaving Canada just a rabies vacine is all they are looking for at customs.
Old November 27th, 2010, 12:01 AM
Senior Contributor

My cynical nature says scam. Definitely don't give this guy any money unless you're 100% sure that it's for real. I doubt he'll be able to come up with any pics....

I have to say, a humane trap is really the way to go. It's at least worth a try.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old November 27th, 2010, 12:02 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayenne View Post
Hi, everyone.

I have a question, how easy is it to fly with a cat from Canada to States? how long does the procedure of quarantine (if any) would take? would the pet be scanned first to identify any micro chips or tattoos?

the reason why I am asking all this because this morning I got a call from a man claiming that he has my boy. BUT, the man is from NY. He told me that he bought a cat when he was visiting friends in Edmonton. It was less then 2 weeks ago. Then he flew back to NY, and now his friends are calling him saying that the cat he bought has the owner. So, he said, he decided to contact me because he is a christian and that he wants to do the right thing. I was happy-skeptical-cautious, so I asked him to send me some pictures of the cat to make sure that it is my boy. I am still waiting on them...

Any opinions - scam or might be truth?
Pretty easy to figure out if it's a scam. If the person comes back asking for money to be sent then you know it is. You said the cat was microchipped. Ask him to take the cat to a vet and have the checked for the chip and then have the chip read. That would answer any questions.
I think when a cat travels over borders there has to be proof of vaccination at the very least.

Quote:
14+, yes, I have a shelter set up for him outside. I first put a box under the porch and then found out there were rabbits hiding there during night,. So, not I put Caynee's cage on the porch, put in there his fav. blanket and pillow (it has my scent on it too, so I hope it will help), and put out some food. But nothing had even moved for a week.
I think chico is right, someone has him. So I am kinna hoping that someone DOES have him, if you know what I mean. I just would rather know that my boy is safe, then that he is hurt and hungry and cold.
When I asked about a live trap I am talking an actual trap that you can catch an animal in humanely. The cat is trapped and can not get out of the trap if set properly until someone releases it. A shelter set up outside is not the same thing IMO. A cat may take refuge in the shelter for a couple of hours and then be off wandering again.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old November 27th, 2010, 12:47 AM

well, the guy said that he did take the cat to a vet before they left, because according to him, the cat was in poor health. But I am actually willing to bet (well, at least 99%, I just leave myself that 1% chance ...) that this was a scam.

as per a trap... 14+, I DO understand what you are saying, believe me, but I just highly doubt the effectiveness of it in my case. I would probably catch more rabbits then any cat. I left out my baby's fav. food and check it like 20 times per day, but nothing...nothing moves...I check my backyard, I go out in a field and parks in my area to check trails on snow to see if anything looks like it might be a cat...
I still have my hopes high, I still trying to get a word out there..still looking..and hoping.
Old November 27th, 2010, 07:20 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I bet it is a scam. When we brought our cats into NY state, they didn't ask for anything, but coming back into Canada I needed a Rabies certificate from my vet.

I am willing to bet your cat is not far. If they coyotes got him, you would probably see signs of a kill.

There are some unscrupulous people out there that would keep your cat, even knowing you are looking for him.

Another thing I thought of is to go to any schools that are in your neighbourhood and ask the principal if you can distribute a picture of your cat and ask the teachers to ask their students if they have seen your cat.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old November 27th, 2010, 09:37 AM
Senior Contributor

L4,a good idea,he is a cat that would make kids notice
I too think it's a scam,but I can understand how you would feel,the"what if's"would tear at me..

Some people,we all know,have no morals or compassion,hopefully you'll have some proof,but I somehow doubt it..
At least we know he's neutered and can never be used for a profitable breeder.
Old November 27th, 2010, 09:42 AM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
as per a trap... 14+, I DO understand what you are saying, believe me, but I just highly doubt the effectiveness of it in my case. I would probably catch more rabbits then any cat. I left out my baby's fav. food and check it like 20 times per day, but nothing...nothing moves...I check my backyard, I go out in a field and parks in my area to check trails on snow to see if anything looks like it might be a cat...
I still have my hopes high, I still trying to get a word out there..still looking..and hoping.
Just trying to cover all avenues of possible capture.

Old November 27th, 2010, 01:54 PM
banned user

Yes L4H a great idea.When Sable was missing the kids at the one school were so helpful..and even reported seeing him. The teacher was a dog lover and posted it on the bulletin board and put out a stack of lost posters for the kids to take home.
Kids really understand the meaning of a lost pet! and they will do anything to help.
I guess when you got the call from "NY?" you didnt have call display to get the number they called from? but then my guess is it came in as unknown like all the telemarketers do!!!
Keep the hope alive....
Old November 27th, 2010, 04:04 PM

thank you guys! you give me energy to keep going
Old November 27th, 2010, 07:21 PM
Senior Contributor

Going to the schools in your area and further with posters is a great idea, it would be one that I would sure look at. I hope he comes home soon. I keep coming back here to your thread for good news...not yet but I am sure he will be home soon. patti
Old November 29th, 2010, 12:45 AM

What a day today - like a roller-coaster!

Got a call from that guy from NY, he sent me pics of "my cat". The first picture looked kinna like my cat from the back, so I asked him to send me another picture of my boy's face. I received a picture of two people holding a cat. The guy said that this is his friend and a vet. I posted the picture on facebook, immediately got replies that that were well known cat shows judge and one of Bengal breeders, and the first picture that I was sent was of a famous photographer.
I was mad...but decided to play along with that guy trying to get his info. I agreed to pay him to get my boy back and asked him for his wire info. He said I should send money to his sister...in PANAMA!! what an a$$....
Anyway, I collected the information I have so far and will go to cops tomorrow, at least they can proceed with fraud and copyright law, because the breeder and photographer want to press charges against this guy.

Now, it is evening, and I am getting a call from a fellow who lives in my neighborhood and saw posters, and is saying they just caught a cat in their backyard. The cat is orange with spots... I almost lost my mind, my hands were shaking so badly I could not even start the car. Finally, 10 mins later from the call, I met them...and...it is orange tabby. Poor thing is so scared, and miserable, I almost wanted to take him. But the couple is taking the cat to the pound, and I just hope that this cat is dearly missed and will find his way back home...

And I am still hoping, and waiting on my baby's return
Old November 29th, 2010, 08:26 AM
Senior Contributor

Cayenne,wow what an emotional roller-coaster
Iyou'll get the best X-Mas present ever
Old November 30th, 2010, 02:49 AM

Receive a call today from a gentleman who was concerned that the Bengal cat I picture as mine might be his. I assured him that this is my cat and I have all the documentations to prove it. He said he lives in the same area as me, and his Bengal cat went missing too, so he thought that I found his cat and adopted him. Anyway, long story short, we started wondering if there is a person who lives in our area who stole one cat once, got away with that, and now did it again?
Old November 30th, 2010, 07:00 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

There are selfish people out there that will see your posters and not call you if they have your cat. They justify it by how happy it is making their children and nobody else's feelings are considered .

That is why I mentioned calling his name loudly while walking down the street to see if he appears in a window, or to go to schools to talk to the principal to see if teachers will show pics of your kitty in hopes a child speaks up that a friend has him, or he is now "their" kitty. Your kitty is so very beautiful and distinct that he will stick out in a child's mind.
Don't give up, he is out there somewhere

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old November 30th, 2010, 08:02 AM
banned user

Oh wow! Cayenne that is awful but I would say not an impossibility.
Maybe they thought they could breed them....not realizing what you need to do that! for the $$$$$$ I could see that!
Keep up your search.....I know mine came home months after being missing even after I had given up hope.
Old December 1st, 2010, 11:25 AM

It is getting actually to a ridiculous point. Not only the guy from NY (which I don't think is from US at all) was trying to scam me, now, after we caught his bluff, he started threatening me. I asked him to leave me along but now he sends me emails harassing me.
I already submitted all info on him to the fraud prevention department, but now I probably should contact the police.

Plus, I started receiveing ridiculous messages through Kijiji (this is where I posted my ad) from people like
"i seen a dead cat in skyview yesterday no lies"
When I ask a person to locate the area, I get no reply.

Why, oh why, some people are so cruel? I wanted simply to pay money for return of my boy (was trying to make it easier for a person who has Cayenne), but in turn getting myself involved in all these weird things. I still go out at night calling for my boy, but now I doubt more and more that he is even on streets in my area.
Animal pound knows me already,so they told me they are looking out for me as well.
Today, I am going to schools to spread out flyers. Hope this would help.

Last edited by GateKeeper; December 2nd, 2010 at 02:01 AM. Reason: no 3rd party email address pls
Old December 1st, 2010, 11:30 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

People are just so cruel

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old December 1st, 2010, 01:33 PM
banned user

I had some of that cruelness when I was looking for Sable but mostly wonderful helpful folks.
Hopefully the kids at school will be on the lookout for your boy...I know the schools I approached were so helpful.
Old December 1st, 2010, 04:55 PM
Senior Contributor

cayenne,I am so very sorry,there are cruel jerks everywhere
If I lived anywhere near you I would help out in your search,I can so understand what you are going through

Maybethe schools will help
Old December 1st, 2010, 05:27 PM

I know its a long shot, but maybe try the baby-monitor thing outside. Maybe he is still hanging around and you just haven't been able to find him?

I hope you find him soon

Edited to say:

Have you tried this? Maybe it will help

http://www.petlynx.net

If an animal is found and they are put into the care of Alberta Animal Services on petlynx

Last edited by sassylemon; December 1st, 2010 at 05:56 PM.