Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Lost & Found (Pls include a pic if possible & write location in TITLE)

Old August 2nd, 2007, 12:16 PM
banned user

REALLY weird call just now ..a lady called and asked if we had the ad in the
paper for the missing dog...answered yes...she asked why...answered because our dog is missing....she asked how long has he been missing....answered 10 months and she hung up.

She blocked her Id on the incoming call from call display...my telephone carrier can not give me the incoming telephone # until Sept. billing...it was an 800 # that was in the paper and I will be charged for the call and the # will be on the bill.

Allstream told me the only way I can get it is if I can convince the police to access the number but I don't want to go there as I know they will not understand the gravity of this.

I think someone has him...any thoughts on what to do or is it just my imagination?
Old August 2nd, 2007, 12:52 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Shirley that certainly is a weird call??? I was also wondering a couple of months back if someone had Sable too?? only because it has been so long! I dont know what to think of that call?? Perhaps if you called the police station to ask some advice from them?? They probably will not give out any info because of our privacy laws etc but maybe you would reach someone with some compassion and understanding...

I keep praying everyday for your Sable,Billie,Spencer and Jace! and all those still missing!

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old August 2nd, 2007, 01:00 PM

If someone has him, adding "$$$ REWARD $$$" and "needs medication!!"* to any newspaper ads or flyers might convince someone to return him. Also "family is heartbroken", "other dogs are grieving for him!" etc.

*adding "needs important medicine" even if the pet doesn't is an old trick, and I personally would make something up to get my dog back.

Also maybe you could get in the newspaper or on local tv....if you contact your local papers/tv and radio stations, and sell this as a human interest story, you could reach many people that way and maybe the person who called you would see you and call again.
Old August 2nd, 2007, 01:55 PM

Shirley...the Humane Society actually told me to put 'needs daily medication' on the posters for Billie even though she doesn't. It supposedly makes people more compasionate...the $$$ doesn't hurt either for those that are greedy.
I emailed a couple of people from city tv regarding Billie but they did not say anything on the air. Carly mentioned that she had some air time and they showed pictures of Spencer. We should get together and email Ann Rohmer, she hosts 'Animal Housecalls' and I've heard they show animals up for adoption.
Old August 2nd, 2007, 04:06 PM
Senior Contributor

Shirley,that call was certainly weird,but if she had him and wants to keep him,why would she call??
I am sorry you have to put up with all this and still no Sable
Old August 2nd, 2007, 06:51 PM
banned user

I don't know what to make of the call...I just have a gut feeling about this one. I read that post that I did on the Fostering and Rescue section this morning and the tears just flowed! I could just picture the first part as what Sable has been going thru and then by the end I hoped someone has found him like this rescue dog...and then this call....

I also had a call from a lady last night who says she is sure she saw Sable but he had a choke chain collar on..She looked at the colored pics I have on kijiji.ca and said she is positive it was him. I will check that area out over the weekend as there are a lot of summer cottages around Bass Lake just outside Orillia
Old August 2nd, 2007, 07:36 PM
-

Oh Shirley, all paws and fingers are crossed in my house ~ you know that about all of us. But, don't put too much stock into this phonecall. There are many people in this world who either don't realize or don't care that their actions are cruel and thoughtless.

When I read your other post, I was wishing you wouldn't read stories like that ~ :sad: :sad: :sad:
Old August 3rd, 2007, 07:12 AM
Senior Contributor

Shirley,all we can do is hope,hope that your love and dilligence for Sable will reward you with a wonderful reunion
I would think,were he no more with us,hit by a car etc...with all the posters and people knowing of him,somebody would have found his remains and reported it,so we are all still hopeful he will be found safe and sound
Old August 3rd, 2007, 10:47 AM
-

Did'nt you have a call sometime ago Shirley about a sighting around Bass Lake of a dog with a choke collar on? Sounds like it could be the same one. I wish you all the luck in the world this weekend.
In our local paper yesterday(the Era-Banner Newmarket edition, (I don't know how to cut and paste) there was an article about a woman who just got her Yorkie back after ten years, said that she got a call from a neighbour in her old neighbourhood saying that they had her dog. As usual in our local they only tell you half a story without telling circumstances.
Once again the best of luck.
Old August 3rd, 2007, 08:49 PM
Senior Contributor

Shirley,

I think someone has him as well.

I know of a lady who lost her golden retriever, she posted pictures of the dog everywhere and she placed a big add in her local newspaper. No reply...weeks later, she posted more pictures of her golden with her young children and she got a reply.

The women who found him said, she was going to keep him since her golden died. (The golden who got lost had all his tags on) even though she saw all the adds for the dog.

Then she saw the poster with the dog and children and she felt guilty and gave the dog back.

Dogs just don't vanish especially since you are doing everything possible to find your dog.
Old August 4th, 2007, 11:09 AM
Senior Contributor

Oh I hope it's sable. I hope you track down the person or hope she calls back.
Old August 6th, 2007, 02:09 AM

Honestly, I hope she has sable and is going to give him back as well. Not only do I I want Sable, Billie and Spencer home more than I want a lot of things in the world right now...but for the sake of human kind, I hope that woman has him.

I am sick and tired to death of people prank calling, prank emailing, telling people their dogs are dead or they have the dog when they don't. I do realize there are soo many good people who are willing to help (eg, everyone on this website), however, I come to realize that there are just wayyyy to many sick freaks too.

Shirley, I'm sending many many good vibes for this phone call I really.really.really. hope that it's sable.

Ps. In response to SIL's post. I contacted the producer of ANimal housecalls a few months back. They told me they couldn't mention losts dogs because they just have too many requests for that. I understand his point; I bet he does. Maybe someone somewhere would do a story. Not just one, but THREE people who are helping each other look for their lost animals hehe.
Old August 10th, 2007, 07:53 AM

Can I get an update on the search for Sable

I believe we have shared the same frustrations while searching for our dogs.
Leon has only been missing since July 21 2007 so I can't imagine how many times you must have given up on him. I am in the Barrie area and we have been out searching quite a bit. Now I will know to keep and eye out for Sable as well.
Old August 10th, 2007, 11:04 AM
banned user

Thanks for your concern for Sable...I was so upset when I read about yet another dog in the Barrie area missing.
We get most of our calls from the ad we run in the Orillia Packet and Times..when Sable was in the Barrie area we ran it in the Barrie examiner...wonderful people in both towns, when they see how hard you are looking they really pitch in...I have had complete strangers calling and wanting to know where to look even thought they have never seen him.

I really think someone has Sable right now...had a call last night again and they wouldn't answer but I got a number but it is unlisted....I keep calling it.
Where in Barrie did yours go missing...once Sable found the rail trail between Orillia and Barrie he could travel so fast....but so many people walk the trail and can keep their eyes open if they know and there are plenty of places to put the posters.....also try the north Simcoe news...coming out again real soon only a few issues a year and that goes out into all the rural areas by mail. That is how I discovered Sable in Horseshoe Valley.

Also if you can, and let me know if you can't & I can do some for you is to
print a picture on one side and info on the back in a business card size to hand out to people when you meet them walking...they are more likely to keep it with them and put it in their pocket..I found handing out a flyer was hard for them to handle especially if they are walking their dog.

Let me know if I can help in any way.
Shirley
Old August 10th, 2007, 11:37 AM

Do you still think he may be at that farm with the tents? If so I'm on the lookout. I think Dianne (garcanada.ca) is looking into the North Simcoe News.

Business cards are a great idea. I can print some off.

Leon jumped my fence (23 Pratt road near Grove and St.Vincent) only 2 hours after he flew in from Greece. He was seen the next day Johnson street and Shanty Bay Road. Then the next day down town. Then we were getting calls for at least two dogs in the south end. Minett's Point, Tollendale Rd. Hurst Drive, Huronia Road, Ferndale, Veterin's Drive, Mapleview. The last report was July 28th a.m. at Centenial Park.

I have spoken to a communicator twice and she believes he is still alive and hiding. Getting enough food from garbage. She believes he could be in industrial or strip plaza area. Somewhere where there may be a breezeway between buildings.
Old August 10th, 2007, 02:49 PM
banned user

Not sure about the green tents...never could find them but good possibility.

I hope you find him soon...what an awful experience for the poor thing to have come all this way and then go missing.
Another rescue lady adopted out two dogs also from the Oshawa area to Midhurst last January...they were only there a few days when they dug out under the fence and have never been seen again..she is heart broken and says she will never let the dogs be adopted out of the area again.

Johnson St. & Shanty Bay Road....Sable was there back in early Nov. know that one !

Again, I know the paper ads are expensive but the best way to get the word out....try and get the paper to do a human interest story on it...it is a very sad story...they did one for Sable on the front page back in November but we got so many calls from so many places...because of him looking like a wolf..

Again let me know if there is anything I can do.....by the way who did you use for a communicator...anyone local?

Shirley
Old August 10th, 2007, 02:57 PM

New sighting of Leon

Leon is getting quite popular because of the human interest side of the story He has been in the papers and on the A channel news.

And he also is very distinctive looking so he has that going for him. Just had a call that he was seen yesterday on Victoria Street. This is very promising as there have been other sightings their.

We are doing a Search on Saturday at 4 PM starting at Centenial Park (at the slides) if you know anybody who would be interested in coming out.

The animal communicator is Claudia Hehr from Aliston. She is quite renouned.
Old August 10th, 2007, 08:26 PM

Jlalonde,
I also used Claudia Hehr as my animal communicator. SHe gave me details of the inside of the house where my dog is..but I havn't been able to find it yet.
She was a nice lady though.
Old August 10th, 2007, 08:27 PM

I am back in Orillia tomorrow to pick up my daughter...any areas to look?
I am not sure where your last sightings were
I am curious about animal communicators......are they helpful?
Expensive? Any info would be great

Hugs
Lynda
Old August 11th, 2007, 10:38 AM
banned user

Thanks Lynda...the only two calls I have had in the past couple of weeks are one in Orillia at Coldwater Rd. & Hwy 11 area and out at Prices corners at Horseshoe Valley Rd. & Hwy 12.

I have not had much by way of sightings that have been accurate other than these two.

Thanks
Shirley
Old August 11th, 2007, 03:30 PM
Senior Contributor

Shirley,I know I have not written much anymore,but read your posts all the time,but you and Sable are always in my thoughts,together with all the other missing dogs,I am still hoping and the day will come when Sable is finally reunited with his family
Old August 12th, 2007, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirley1011 View Post
Not sure about the green tents...never could find them but good possibility.
I stumbled on your thread while searching for information on the history of the railway that has become the Oro-Medonte Rail Trail. Did you have signs on the trail in the spring? I seem to recall seeing them. Anyway before I get your hopes up too much, I HAVEN'T seen Sable, but had an idea on the green tents thing.

During the course of my historical research, I came across other information about a property on Lake Simcoe in Hawkestone being left to the Girl Guides. They apparently have a camp on it. I haven't seen it and don't know if they have green tents or not. Here is a link that has some info on it: Ontario Council Camps. Look down the page for the camp named 'Bonita Glen'. The web site link doesn't work, but there is other contact information.

I hope that somebody else hasn't already posted this info. I am on dial-up so didn't take the time to read through all of the numerous posts about Sable.
Good luck on your search, BTW. I had to have my good old dog Buddy put to sleep this spring so can relate to your sense of loss.

I frequent the rail trails in the Orillia area and will keep my eyes open for you.
Old August 13th, 2007, 07:56 AM

Animal Communicator

I had all but given up on Leon. Convinced that he had been hit by a car or crawled in a ditch somewhere to die. After talking to Claudia I have renewed hope and faith in the survival abilities of a dog. I don't think I can ever give up hope of finding him now. I had a friend write up a PSA for the local papers and we sent it by email. The fact that he was adopted from Greece adds to the human interest of the story. We are going to try and do a follow up story today.

People see to be informed about the story but still not many sightings. He is really good at hiding.
Old August 13th, 2007, 06:19 PM
banned user

Orillia Dog Not Sable

Well my hopes are gone! The dog that everyone is calling me about in
Orillia is not Sable...the lady that owns the dog called me and apologized that her dog has gotten out so many times over the past few months..she is living with her sister temporarily and her sister has kids who keep letting the dog out. On Saturday the dog "Luke" was out and about three people were trying to catch him for being Sable.....the police were called and she had to proove ownership...her dog has one blue eye and one green eye..I've heard that before.
In my heart I guess I knew it wasn't him..he has never been used to a city environment and would on his best day be petrified.

I did however have a call yesterday from the man at Washago which would go back to the time he was seen up at Lake St. George and vanished from that area...we thought to Orillia...He has seen him several times and said he took a good look on Saturday and is positive it is him...he is in a rural area and used to raise Rotti's so he says he is not intimidated by Sable..He called just to ask how we would call Sable, other words he might know and what he would like as a treat. I have tried to contact him but only get an answering machine but he said he would try his best this week to capture him and promised he wouldn't hurt him in any way....I guess it is the only thing I have to go on at this time but better than nothing. Perhaps this might be where the green tents were????
Old August 14th, 2007, 02:11 AM

shirley1011 don't give up hope on Sable yet, not after everything

I was so saddened to read your post re the Orilla dog not being Sable. I always keep an eye on this thread, I wish I could help w/your search I you find him soon.

My for this lead to pan out

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old August 14th, 2007, 07:10 AM
Senior Contributor

Shirley,at least you can stop looking for "Luke"it must be encouraging though hearing a lot of people are looking,even called the police.
This man in Washago,asking all those questions about Sable,maybe he is the best you've heard so far..
Old August 14th, 2007, 07:35 AM

The roller coaster continues

Another good lead brings you hope. Is this man going to leave food out for him? If this dog is running he should be cought even if he's not Sable. If he has seen him a few times, he will be cought and then you'll know either way.

Do you still feel he is with someone?
Old August 14th, 2007, 08:07 AM

Shirley...I'm sorry it wasn't Sable but I know that you'll find him. You've worked too hard and helped out too many people not to be rewarded with a happy ending.
Old August 14th, 2007, 08:10 AM
-

Shirley, do you think that the woman that owns 'Luke' is the same person that called and hung up on you? We are all keeping our fingers crossed that this man can get Sable for you, it is coming upto the one year mark now, isn't it?
Old August 14th, 2007, 08:41 AM
banned user

No I really think this worman was sincere...she was very apologetic and gave me her address to come and see the dog and see the difference in his eye colour.......and yes it will be a year on Aug. 26th next weekend.