Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior > Cat behavior forum - cat training

Old August 28th, 2009, 11:52 AM

Cat *really* likes this rug.

My roommate's cat Zee has an unusual fetish for this one particular rug. When it is laid out, she'll sniff it all over at length in intense interest. She also vastly prefers peeing and pooping on it to doing these things in the litter box. The litter box is kept clean, and I don't think it's one of the usual suspects here (stress, etc) because when the rug is rolled up and put away, she uses the litter box normally. It's just when this one rug is available that she goes ga-ga for it.

I've tried spraying the rug down with an enzyme-based cleaner to try to eliminate her old scent from it. I've also had to keep up with her "new additions" while the spray dries. I've heard Comfort Zone by Feliway is good for marking issues, so I'm going to the pet store today to see if they have some, but to be honest I've never heard of a cat doing anything like this before. She has no interest in doing her business outside of the litter box *except* for this damn rug. It's like she's obsessed with it. Even when she's asleep I think she's dreaming about it.

Obviously, the cat is in no danger of us giving up on her; we're mostly amused by this problem of hers, and worst case scenario it's her true love the rug that goes, not Zee herself. But the rug goes with our decorating theme, and we'd like Zee to cut this out if at all possible.
Old August 28th, 2009, 12:07 PM
Garden nut

My mom and dad have a cat named Zee too! He's over 20 years old now though.

Hope you get the rug situation fixed!
Sandy Belle Sheeba - born 11/14/07 at 12:30 pm Linx Jasper
Old August 28th, 2009, 03:35 PM
Catlover2

It might be something in the rug that's stimulating the cat, perhaps the fibres or backing. I have two mats that have rubber backings, and my spayed girl rolls on it like there's catnip on it. Fortunately that's all she does...never pees or poops on it. My neuter male has no interest in the mats other than just sitting on them from time to time. I would get rid of the rug. I certainly wouldn't want to reinforce unwanted elimination by leaving it available, in spite of it going with your decor. Eventually you'll have to throw it out anyway, as it's almost impossible to eliminate the odour.
Old August 28th, 2009, 04:15 PM
Senior Contributor

I would give up on the rug if I were you,depending on the size,I would roll it up and maybe only take it out if you have company

You don't want her to start thinking it's ok to do her thing on a rug.
Feli-Way helped one of my cats stop spraying,but that's not what she is doing,right..