Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old August 16th, 2009, 03:59 PM
Senior Contributor

The Great Swimming Rottie!

Hello Readers,

The family went to the cottage for the weekend and we discovered that our dog loves to swim. We have had her swimming in the past, but this weekend she found her bravery and just wouldn't stop.
So to the swimming dog families out there- how long do you let your dog swim? We had a hard time dragging her out of the water. Does your dog eventually get tired of swimming, or do you have to put a limit on the swim? She was still going 2 hours later, when I finally called her out and walked her back home. She wasn't even playing with anyone, she would just swim out a bit, then swim back, swim out, swim back..
At one point, she even got mischevous and ran off to the beach to take herself for a swim.
Cheers,
Joanne
Harvey the English Bulldog Extraordinaire
Old August 16th, 2009, 04:54 PM

When we were at camp my lab would swim almost all day. We let her swim until she tired herself out. Trying to stop her was an endless battle. My chi's like to swim (believe it or not) they don't swim as long as bigger dogs, about 20 min then they are done. I would say let him swim until he tires himself out. Or if you notice him struggling to catch his breath or antyhign like that take him out tie him up and make him have a break. Some dogs don't know when to stop. We also had a dog that would dive for rocks.... :S
Old August 16th, 2009, 08:24 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Having water-hating setters, I couldn't tell ya. But I think it's wonderful that Darby discovered the joys of water

I love pictures of wet dogs having fun in the water... *nudge, nudge, wink, wink, hint, hint*

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old August 16th, 2009, 08:32 PM

Hello,
I also have a Rottie, she is the best dog ever!!
Rottie's love to swim. I take her to the lake as often as I can.
I usually let her swim for a bit then have her relax for a bit .. then so forth. Sort of like you do with kids lol
Old August 16th, 2009, 09:44 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

hi, i have a golden who looooves the water too. If you watch your pup when she's swimming as she tires she will start to sit lower in the water. When she does, its time for abit of a rest. Some dogs will keep swimming even if they're exhausted and have drowned. Or you could buy her a doggie life jacket.
Old August 16th, 2009, 10:21 PM
Doggie Wench

What???? No Pictures????

I agree that if your dog seems to be slowing down, then it's time for a break. And don't allow her to go too far out...she may have a difficult time coming back to shore.
Old August 17th, 2009, 10:51 AM
Rottie owner and lover

Actually this weekend harley decided to play life saver in the pool. He got his bravery, ran up steep steps and panicked when he saw everyone in, he dove in, tried to herd everyone to safety. Every time I pulled him out he jumped back in. The work drive was too much. We finally had to bring him down and pull the steps up. He was doing this for maybe an hour. He loved playing the hero. He would swim right up to everyone, turn around so people could hold on to him so he could bring them back.
I had to limit harleys swimming time, he is OCD when it comes to water. At erika's had to tie him to a tree and let him un bloat.
Old August 17th, 2009, 03:21 PM
Hazel's Personal Servant

I have newfs - and they will swim, and swim, and swim. They will normally swim til they've had enough and then they get out and rest. One dog that comes to the lake sometimes (a brittney spaniel) chases dragonflies (only the mutant giant ones...lol) and if they go out over the water, he will swim to chase them. I've watched those dragonflies make him go in circles in the water until his owner wades in to get him out - he would be one that I would worry about drowning himself.

My mom had a rotti that loved to swim. She liked to swim in the river that runs behind my mom's house. She would swim upstream, and then let the current carry her back down - then do it all over again, and again, and again. My mom would watch her closely for signs of fatigue and make her quit when she felt she was too tired.
Old August 17th, 2009, 03:58 PM
Senior Contributor

My Rott Ben () loved the water. He would swim so much I had to once 'save' him because he got too tired. 130 lbs of swimming dog. He was spectacular.!
Old August 17th, 2009, 04:46 PM
Senior Contributor

I think it is karma. I have always secretly laughed at the little dogs who were obsessed with balls and playing fetch to the point of exhaustion. I have a friend with a black chi who lives to chase a ball. The ball is bigger than his head, btw...
Now I have a dog who swims in circles for no apparent purpose. The universe, and the people on the beach are laughing at me now.
Sorry, Tiny for laughing at your ball fetching obsession
Harvey the English Bulldog Extraordinaire