Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old August 30th, 2011, 07:13 PM

Oh Winston, I'm so sorry to hear that your buddy is not doing well. Make him some special yummies and love him to bits, ok?

On the pain issue...do you have any pain killers? If not, ask your vet for some. One dose and you will know right away.
Peewee - Jan '06 - 6.5 lb Chi (adopted May '09)
--------------------
Roxy - Feb '05 to May '20 AmStaff (adopted Jul '11)
Myka - Nov '98 to Jan '10 - APBT X
Lacy - Sep '92 to Jul '03 - Sheltie
Old August 31st, 2011, 07:43 AM
Senior Contributor

Aww Winston my heart aches for you,about this time last year,I had to let my boy go.
I feel,although I've never met Winston or you,you and your boy are very much part of the friends I've made here
I'll be thinking of you and Winston and sending my
Old August 31st, 2011, 10:25 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

My heart goes out to you, Cindy. You're in my thoughts and prayers...

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old August 31st, 2011, 10:44 AM
Senior Contributor

Cindy, how is Winston doing today? I hope he's improving some. Have you asked your vet if prednisone would help him at all with the pain issues. It's really too early for me to say at this point if they're helping Shadow since she just has her first pill last night. I'll keep you posted though, but maybe you could call and ask about it. The pills are cheap, although I know that's not a consideration if they'll help, but it won't cost much to try them anyhow. You and Winston are in my thoughts and prayers.
Old August 31st, 2011, 11:20 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Thank you everyone for your kind words. I am trying to keep my chin up.

Last night Winston was having alot of trouble with panting and getting up and down from a laying position. At one point his right back paw's toes curled under and he was trying to walk on them like that?? it was as if he had no idea it was happening. Once he started walking he was okay and it didnt happen again.

I spoke to the vet a little while ago and explained to him how Winston was yesterday. He thinks that I am right that Winston is experiencing pain and that the Cancer may be progressing very quick. The toes curled under he didnt think was related to the Cancer but thought perhaps it may be something neurilogical going on.

We are going to try a round of pain medication and see if there is any improvement. If there is no improvement I will be letting Winston go to the bridge. I just am praying for a little more time although I will not let him suffer.

DD the vet prescribed Previcox for now and in a couple of days I will let him know if there is any improvement.

I appreciate everyone's support.
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old August 31st, 2011, 11:42 AM

Oh I'm sure it is tough to watch Winston struggle. It is difficult to say goodbye and definitely difficult to decide when that time is. The panting and inability to relax bothers me as I'm sure it does you. Is Winston still wagging his tail?

Maybe the mass is putting pressure on his spinal cord causing the toe curling...?
--------------------
Old August 31st, 2011, 11:50 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Myka yes Winston is still wagging his tail....and if I ask him to find his ball he turns into a puppy for a few minutes and then slows down. Thats what makes this hard. I know he still full of life but his body doesnt seem to want to cooperate.

I am hoping the Previcox works and I have a little bit more time
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old August 31st, 2011, 12:01 PM

Ah, well that is good! I hope the Previcox works too. If not, try something else. Keep the tail wagging!
--------------------
Old August 31st, 2011, 12:13 PM
Senior Contributor

Winston's issues with his feet are exactly what Shadow deals with. The vet was positioning her feet last night so that the hind foot was folded upside down, toes pointing backwards. Typically as soon as you do that to their foot they will correct it, but this does not happen with Shadow, she will leave it like that. He was explaining to me that it is the swelling/inflamation in her spine that is blocking the nerves so she's not getting the information up to her head that her feet are wrong. It's the same with her butt, and why she doesn't sense when she needs to poop until it's too late.

Like Winston Shadow has great moments also. It's hard to picture putting them down when they have such bright moments mixed in with the bad isn't it. You know the happy is in there, but that said, when I have to let Shadow go I want her to still be happy. Like you said you don't want Winston to suffer, I don't want that for Shadow either. I want her to still be happy and not suffering. If she's suffering I've not done my job and I've waited too long.

Let's hope the previcox will help Winston. You're in my thoughts and prayers as we go through the same dilema's and decisions my friend. Stay strong.

Last edited by Dog Dancer; August 31st, 2011 at 12:31 PM.
Old August 31st, 2011, 12:24 PM

Great post Dancer. Let them eat something they shouldn't, play in the grass while it's still warm out, have a great day, and go to the bridge. You will always remember the last day, so make it a good one.

Myka was doing the same thing that Shadow is doing (not fixing overturned paws), but Myka also had sudden onset of grande mal seizures. Some vets will come to your home too...a friend of mine did that. I wish I had thought of it when it was Myka's time. I am (kind of) thankful that Myka's time was now and I didn't have to wait for an appointment. Maybe consider paying for an "emergency" visit at home instead of making an appointment so you don't have to do the dreaded wait.

I'm thinking of you everyday Winston and Winston's mum. *big hugs*
--------------------
Old August 31st, 2011, 12:35 PM
Senior Contributor

Myka, that's what I was doing with Shadow yesterday before the vet suggested one more try. It was going to be her last day so she had chicken for breakfast, then at lunch time we went to a park near my office and she wanted to go to the river there so we went and she waded around in the water for a while (she won't swim but it's such a dirty river I wouldn't let her anyhow since we had to go back to the office), then I took her to the drivethru at McDonalds and she got chicken mcnuggets (just a 6 pack). For dinner we were going to have bbq steak so I had taken an extra steak out for Shadow and Halo to share. Shadow was going to have a great day before going to the vet, and she did!

I also had thought about having him come to the house to put her down when the time is right. I don't mind paying for the visit. Then I got wondering about how he takes her back to the clinic to have her cremated. Do they toss her into the trunk of their car?? Ultimately I decided to take her to the clinic with the people she loves there with her. I don't know, I really haven't figured that one out yet.
Old August 31st, 2011, 12:46 PM

Who doesn't like Chicken McNuggets? I like the way you think.

Here, there are two cremation services. They will go to the vet to pick up the pet or you can take your pet to them or they can pick your pet up from your home. Talk to the cremation services in your area.
--------------------
Old August 31st, 2011, 02:38 PM
Senior Contributor

Unhappy Such a bittersweet time

My thoughts and prayers are flying off to you Winston, Cindy, Shadow and Dog Dancer. I am so sad for you to be going through such a difficult time with your furbabies. These stories have been bringing tears to my eyes, just wishing you one more day, night, week. I am afraid of when this day comes to my home and how I will deal with it hopefully as brave as you two. GBless you all and for the 's in your homes. patti
Old August 31st, 2011, 09:10 PM
Critter Lover

and prayers being sent
When a Cat adopts you there is nothing to be done about it except to put up with it until the wind changes. TS Elliot
Old September 1st, 2011, 07:28 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

Winston and Winston's mum.
Many of us know what you are going through because we've gone through it ourselves. that you have a bit more time together.
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old September 1st, 2011, 09:37 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Still keeping up the for Winston and Shadow!!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old September 1st, 2011, 03:03 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Marko thank you so much! and everyone else thank you again! you guys have been my rock lately.

After work yesterday I picked up the Previcox from the vets. I gave Winston his pill @ 5pm. Its 1 pill every 24 hours for 10 days and we see how things are. At 7pm I had already noticed a difference. His face looked way better and his movement was much better. His legs at the back didnt look as stiff anymore. He was still panting alot but a HUGE improvement. This medication is for osteoarthritis (sp??) so I am wondering if Winston was feeling pain from that and not the tumor/cancer?

This morning I was late getting up and a little rushed so he slept while I got ready for work. Today coming home I see the improvement is still there! DH was off today so he tried to keep him with him and not let him go down into the basement to sleep and Winston seemed to be open to staying with his Dad for the day which to me is another positive sign because lately he has been spending alot of time down there as its much cooler and his crate is there.

This is all new to both of us as I have never seen my boy in any pain before! I am trying to stay positive that this is going to help him out and give us more time.

He just had his second pill and we will see if he continues. The diarrea is still an issue and the panting seems to only happen when he is moving around because when he lays down and he is relaxed he doesnt pant??

Winston thanks everyone! here is a pic of him after a swim last week.

Prayers and positive vibes to all of those that are suffering will ill fur babies!
Attached Images

Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old September 1st, 2011, 03:26 PM

Winston my thoughts and prayers are with you both today, hoping for a few more days of pain free time...
Old September 1st, 2011, 03:35 PM
Mickey, my angel

So glad to hear that the pills are helping.

Sending for many more good days ahead.
"Let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." -Jack Layton
"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi

Kitties: Punky (17), and Sassy (13), Twinky (10),

SweetMickey 1991 to May 24, 2009
Old September 1st, 2011, 03:41 PM
Senior Contributor

Winston, so glad the pills are working for you guys! Did the vet say how long he would be able to stay on them for? I haven't asked Shadow's vet about that with the pred. but they are working for her too. Winston sure looks like he had a good time in the water! Prayers coming your way that you have many more months of good times with your boy.
Old September 1st, 2011, 04:24 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

DD thank you!!!!!! 10 days is what he said for now and we would re evaluate the situation at that time. I mentioned that folks have suggested the metacam and he said we would look at the meloxicam or metacam not sure which one??

I am sending those positive vibes and prayers your way DD!! for you and Shadow to have as much time as possible...

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old September 1st, 2011, 04:36 PM
Senior Contributor

See Cindy, this is what confuses me, and I didn't ask the vet, but will tomorrow when he calls me. Shadow was on the Metacam for like months on end. I didn't count the pred pills, but it only looks like for a couple weeks. What happens then? What happens when Winston's pills are gone after 10 days? Is that just a trial time and if it's going well you keep giving them to him. If you stop will he not just deteriorate again?? You know as well as many of us the rollercoaster ride we go through with our beloved furbabies when they're old and sadly leaving us. Winston is in my thoughts and prayers as are you. We have to live every moment to it's fullest with them, and eat Chicken McNuggets at the beach!!
Old September 1st, 2011, 04:55 PM

I am so happy to hear the Previcox is working for Winston!

Previcox is a NSAID, as is Metacam and Meloxicam, with the latter two closely related. Previcox is the newest approved NSAID (2007 I think). With all NSAIDs, stomach issues could arise, especially with long-term use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Dancer View Post
We have to live every moment to it's fullest with them, and eat Chicken McNuggets at the beach!!
--------------------
Old September 1st, 2011, 05:15 PM
Senior Contributor

Shadow would throw up if she had her metacam without food, just so you know Cindy. I only tried it once because we had to go out and that was a mistake!
Old September 1st, 2011, 09:55 PM

I'm glad to hear the medication has helped. One thing to remember is that there is no objectively right or wrong time to make the decision to let our pets go. A friend of mine who frequently does palliative foster cares for the Toronto Humane Society gave me some very wise advice. When I adopted a 13 year old dog with cancer (as my very first ever dog!), she told me not to worry about how I would know that the time was right. She explained that our bond with our pet will tell us every time. They will look at us a particular way, or send us certain signals, to tell us when they have had enough (as long as we are watching for it).

I have now had to make that call twice in the past 15 months, and both times (including two nights ago with my kitty, Persie) agonized afterwards about the decision. Was it too late? Was it too soon? Could I have made the ending better? But, true to her advice, I never doubted my decision when I made it.

When I brought Persie to the vet on Tuesday night, I knew she was losing weight and had suddenly become ill. I believed it was likely a thyroid or kidney issue. I was prepared to do bloodwork and start a process of feeding her a special diet or giving her daily medication to get her back to health. As it turned out, the vet felt a mass in her abdomen during the exam and was able to conclude that it was cancer and was the reason for her ailment. There was nothing we could do and she was going to continue to deteriorate.

Within 30 seconds, I made the decision not to take her home and give her a short period of time longer. Instead I decided to let her go peacefully during that appointment. The reason I did so was because giving her more time would be for my benefit, not hers, as she was no longer enjoying life. Even more importantly, I had started to have a sinking feeling in the days leading up to her appointment that it might be something fatal. The reason I believed this was the fact that she was spending almost all her time sleeping behind the toilet in those days, coming out only when absolutely necessary. She always liked to find special hiding spots, but this was different. It was clear, looking back at least, that in her own mind she was preparing to die and had selected a secluded spot in which to do so. The minute I knew there was nothing I could do to improve her condition, I knew the only option was to honour her decision.

You will be able to tell with Winston when it is time because you know him best. He will tell you in his own way, provided that you are watching for it. Only you will be able to interpret what he is telling you, because you are the one who has the bond with him (guided by medical advice, of course). In the meantime, don't fret. When the time comes, you will know it, and you will be strong for him. And there is no question that whatever you choose on his behalf will be right for him. After all, what more can any creature ask for in this world than to have our last breaths on earth be guided by someone who loves us dearly and wants nothing more than to protect us from suffering?
Old September 2nd, 2011, 10:18 AM
Senior Contributor

Thinking of Winston today and hoping he's having a good day.
Old September 3rd, 2011, 10:18 AM

DD took the words right out of my mind. I'm thinking about Winston too and hoping he's doing well on the medication.
--------------------
Old September 3rd, 2011, 11:09 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Sorry for not updating yesterday but it was a crazy busy day. Winston seems to be really good. I am now 100% certain he was experiencing pain and the pills have helped him alot. I am going to see what happens in the next few days and then we are to talk to the vet after 10 days. His appetite is still not 100% but he is eating a bit.

He did poop in the house last night so I am not sure what that was all about because I didnt hear him wanting to go out and he went out as usual before bed?? All in all he is looking much better!!!!!!

He is happy today and not panting because I have the a/c on!!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old September 3rd, 2011, 11:12 AM

Woohoo! Good to hear! (Besides the poop part lol)

Maybe the Previcox is bugging his tummy a bit. Was it a normal looking poop? I can't remember what you feed him, but have you tried canned food? At this point in his life eating canned instead of kibble could do him a lot of good.
--------------------
Old September 3rd, 2011, 12:00 PM
Senior Contributor

Yay for Winston So glad he's doing better with the new meds. Boy can we relate! Like Myka said, Shadow is chowing down on her canned food that I mix with her kibble. Doubled her appetite. I hope the poop thing was just a one time deal. You never know when they're adjusting to something new. Maybe a bit of pumpkin if it happens again. Hugs to you for being such a good mommy, but of course we know that anyhow.