Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum

View Poll Results: Do you support the Black bear hunt?
yes bring it back 2 15.38%
no not at all 11 84.62%
controlled cull any bear 0 0%
old bears only and leave the mom and babies alone 0 0%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 21st, 2011, 10:03 AM
Senior Contributor

Black Bear Hunt

It seems that here in Ontario's,people want the spring bear hunt reinstated. While there are a lot more bears hanging around, I feel that the bears were here first and we are trespasser on their grounds. I hate the hunt but if they were to bring it back, they should only cull the old bears and leave the young mamas and their cubs alone. This debate has been going on for years. Last year, we took Quin out for a walk and a cub was sitting on our stairs. LOL we live in the city.
Any thoughts?

There ain't no cure for stupid ...... but we should make sure we laugh and point it out to everyone else
Old April 21st, 2011, 10:38 AM
chronically insane.

I'm all for a controlled cull of people that are invading the bears habitat. I think that needs to be an option on the poll

~ RIP Timmy ~ May 2009 - November 6th 2009
Old April 21st, 2011, 10:52 AM
Blue eyed funny farm

This should earn me even more of a bad name on this board but here goes.

Yes bring back the spring bear hunt but on the other hand no dont, not for control of bear population (which is really high especially in rural areas like here... in our field alone we can easily count 12+ at any given time when we go out back)
My thoughts on it... Bring back spring hunt and reduce the fall hunt tag issue drastically.
Moms with cubs should not be hunted. The cubs are close to mom so you would know for the most part. The reason it was abolished in the first place was too many orphans suffering and starving because mothers were killed, it has nothing to do with population dwindling.
So on that basis I completely understand and support why it was stopped.
On the other hand as someone who was raised by hunters, grew up eating what ever was hunted and lives with an avid hunter who has the same values as my family did. ( Ie, you kill it you eat it and use it all) spring bear is much better tasting than in the fall IMHO.
Not to mention the tourism it created. I remember growing up we lived at a toursit camp and had 15 cottages there. The cottages would be FULL and I mean people sleeping on mattresses on the floor in the 8+bedroom cottage with American hunters.
The money they brought into the region during this time alone meant there was no rush to open up for camping season and any and all reno's or maintenance was paid for already, summer was mostly profit.

On a food note, and financial note Ontario should re instate it, on a moral note I support why they do not.

However, all that being said...
Do people in the city truely believe that bears are not being killed at record numbers and left to waste dragged off into the bush and left there? That all these bears are now living in a world of rainbows and butterflies???If so, well, perhaps you should stop reading now.
Farmers and PLENTY of them have their spring hunts still. They can not bring the meat in to be butchered so they are just left. Reason for it, crops and live stock. If bears are so heavily populated that they are going into cities at high rates looking for food imagine what they are doing to young new born calves, sheep, goats, grains, beans ect in the country.
*** Edited out a small part about vegitarian reasoning as it was not important for my arguement and thanks to Kathryn I realize it was offensive... Sorry again***

Thankfully though, the hunting circles I am involved in do not conduct such illegal culls but you hear a lot of private talk about it.

Another thing, as a country person... I can't thank the MNR enough for trapping "problem" bears in the city and bringing them out this way either... clearly we dont have a problem with bears in the rural areas at all so please bring us more that are not afraid of humans, we really appreciate it. Atleast our country "problem" bears are afraid of us still and stay away. We always know when a city bear finds its way to our area. Thats the bear climbing in the box of our trucks because we just went to the dump yesterday and it thinks there is still food in there, thats the bear that is clawing at our basement windows regardless of the dogs barking, thats the bear that sits in the middle of the road (only to be hit most likely purposely) by that hay transport and left to die. So good call MNR, you saved one :rollseyes
*previous MNR rant should be typed in sarcastica font*

Last edited by erykah1310; April 21st, 2011 at 11:21 AM. Reason: removed offensive vegitarian sentance
Old April 21st, 2011, 10:58 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

LMAO!! When I saw Black Bear hunt I thought you were talking about the MOD Black Bear!!!! Seeing as she's "come out of the closet" got a tad confusled.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old April 21st, 2011, 11:00 AM
Blue eyed funny farm

After re reading Idont want to go in and fix it up in the event someone quotes it, but i will explain what I mean by "us having problems bears here"
The bears born out here and raised by human fearing bears never cause residents grief, well very very rarely, its the city/ town trapped ones that do. People raised out here as well know better than to head into the bush this time of year with out a gun for the sole sake of firing it up if you encounter a bear. This is why they are afraid of us still.
In the past 12 years living in the bush I have never had a negative encounter with a bear, we had one at the last place we lived who hung around most likly because of the horses sweet feed, it kept its distance and was in no way a problem. I even had started a thread here about said bear back in the day.
Out here problem bears are bears who kill young livestock and destroy grain fields. A farmer can legally kill a bear that is threatening its livestock or livelyhood. The under ground spring kill is not legal however.
Old April 21st, 2011, 11:01 AM
chronically insane.

I don't live where you guys live.. I live in NJ, where it is densely overpopulated and people here have no respect for nature. I respect your opinion Erykah, but don't really appreciate when people take a jab at vegetarians for the whole "well animals die when grains are being harvested!!!" deal... I'm not really offended by much, but the jab at "us vegetarians" is mainly just mildly annoying.... mainly because I have been hearing it for years and years and in my opinion it's just kind a dumb thing (not that you are dumb) & just generally kind of offensive. It's kind of like saying "well your religion is stupid because X". It's just irritating. Just my and hope you don't think I'm gonna go all crazy hippie on ya but I just really hate when people pull the "being vegetarian is useless" card because it's just like "well adopting an animal is useless because there is still going to be more out there"... kind of just things that maybe should be kept to yourself.

Old April 21st, 2011, 11:03 AM
Blue eyed funny farm

Oh I didn't mean for it to come out that way at all, what I meant was that animals still die for vegitarians thats all. I fully support people being vegitarians and appreciate their beliefs on it. I didn't even think it could come across in such a way. I truely appologize to you and any others.\
I would also never intentionally take a jab at someone based on their morals or beliefs (religious or otherwise).
I feel bad now.
Old April 21st, 2011, 11:04 AM
-

What's wrong with Crazy Hippies Kathryn?
Old April 21st, 2011, 11:20 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
LMAO!! When I saw Black Bear hunt I thought you were talking about the MOD Black Bear!!!! Seeing as she's "come out of the closet" got a tad confusled.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old April 21st, 2011, 11:21 AM
Blue eyed funny farm

I took out the sentance, it really had no bearing on my arguement what so ever
Old April 21st, 2011, 11:24 AM
Senior Contributor

Crazy OLD HIPPIE herehighly offended

I think it is easy for me to say,stop any hunt,I have never seen a bear in the wild,never had to try to protect any farmbabies,so to a certain extent I can understand...
In the show Wild Justice,the ranger said,it is legal to hunt Black-Bears any time,but it is not legal to leave the carcass of a bear killed only for it's bladder,and paws,that is mostly sold to Chinese storesalso illegal!
It is sickening to see these beautiful creatures left to rot in the woods.
Old April 21st, 2011, 11:25 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by erykah1310 View Post
Not to mention the tourism it created. I remember growing up we lived at a toursit camp and had 15 cottages there. The cottages would be FULL and I mean people sleeping on mattresses on the floor in the 8+bedroom cottage with American hunters.
The money they brought into the region during this time alone meant there was no rush to open up for camping season and any and all reno's or maintenance was paid for already, summer was mostly profit.
I don't think tourism should be ever based on the suffering and/or killing of another living being. That is just so sad . What a pathetic country we live in .

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old April 21st, 2011, 11:31 AM
Blue eyed funny farm

I understand what you are saying L4H, however my point is that more are suffering now that it has stopped.
There is always a bigger picture, when hunters would come in they would take everything back with them, many bears died but were eaten and used. Now it is underground and its barbaric.
Old April 21st, 2011, 11:33 AM
chronically insane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erykah1310 View Post
I took out the sentance, it really had no bearing on my arguement what so ever
Haha no problem It's just one of those things that dig at me, I get it alllll the time where "well why do ya bother??".. it's like, why bother doing anything you believe in then? lol

As for crazy hippies, nothing wrong with us

I know that there are black bears in the area where I live. I think one was trapped on the NJ Turnpike the other day, in a tree or something? But I blame that fully on the overdevelopment of NJ. We have left no place for the native animals to go!

Old April 21st, 2011, 11:46 AM
Blue eyed funny farm

Another thing which should appaul most of you as it does me. Is baiting stations.
This is based solely on revenue however in order to get back the tourism in Ontario that has been lost from the cancellation many places now bait bears.
This consists of feeding them all spring summer and fall keeping them on a property then hunters from the US come in pay insane money to have a guarantee.
This is not the hunting I grew up with, this is the sort of thing that even disgusts those who taught me everything I know about hunting.
This time of year it is impossible to get scraps from butchers in the area for dog food as people who own these feeding posts scoop it all up daily, as well as bakery left overs and some restaurant left overs. All this garbage is plopped at feeding stations to both fatten up the bears and keep them there to reproduce until fall rolls around. Again, now they are not afraid of humans since humans=feeding time.
By stopping one thing, you open the doors to all sorts of things, mostly due to financial gain. So for even the hunters like I grew up with and live with, now when bear season opens in the fall, they're all on private property feeding stations or here thanks to the dump trail they have.
Since the spring bear hunt has been cancelled no one I know of actually hunts bear anymore at all. They are mostly all artificially fed non species appropriate diets, or the ones easily seen like here, are dump fed.
Old April 21st, 2011, 03:05 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris21711 View Post
What's wrong with Crazy Hippies Kathryn?
I demand a poll!
Old April 21st, 2011, 04:32 PM
Senior Contributor

Erykah,yes that is appauling and sick,I feel the same about using 30 dogs to chase a bear up a tree,for hunters to shoot down,the bear does not stand a chance
Do people really eat bear-meat??
Old April 21st, 2011, 05:14 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
I don't think tourism should be ever based on the suffering and/or killing of another living being. That is just so sad . What a pathetic country we live in .
I agree! Theput bait down for wolves up here then the Americans come in the winter and hunt the wolves. *sigh*

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
Erykah,yes that is appauling and sick,I feel the same about using 30 dogs to chase a bear up a tree,for hunters to shoot down,the bear does not stand a chance
Do people really eat bear-meat??
chico,,,that is awful.

The native people up here eat the meat. I have also tasted bear meat many years ago too when we had a native friend prepare some for a meal.

We get many bears up here in town in the summer and the fall. I'm always careful when taking the dogs into the park because of them. But I figure the town is in the middle of bush basically and the bears were here first.

I don't like the thoughts of a bear hunt. I know why people want it, but I still am having trouble agreeing with it. If u were defending yourself against an attacking bear, yes shoot it. But still sitting on the fence about the hunt.

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)