Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old February 21st, 2010, 10:01 AM
-

Unhappy Nelly is at the vet hospital

It all started Friday around 10:30 pm. Nelly was sleeping on the couch beside me with her head on my lap , then she woke up and was acting weird , her head and her eyes were moving from side to side , mostly her eyes. She couldn't walk because she was too dizzy and did not have balance.

at first I thought it was a seizure but it wouldn't go away ... then I thought it was a stroke, it was 11:00 pm , 30 minutes after it started , I started to get myself ready to take her to the emergency. But I was shaking too much to drive , I had to call LP and ask her to come and get us, so she came and took us to the vet , waited with me , drove me back later that night... I was such a nervous wreck , I don't know what I would have done without her , I would have ended up in the ditch somewhere ...

It's not looking good. It's either vestibular syndrome (although that's usually in older dogs) there's 2 kind and Nelly would have the bad one (the central one. If not that , it's either brain inflammation from infection or a brain tumor , which they told me is common in great danes.

LP stop by the clinic saturday morning , they told her Nelly had to stay until sunday morning but was doing somewhat better. They were suppose to call me last night , I also left a message to remind them to call. They never did I called back this morning , front desk can't tell me anything , said to leave another message and vet will call me this afternoon.

So the central vestibular would be their first diagnose. From what I read , there's the peripheral one , and the central one. Central one is a bit worse than the first one , she might not fully come back to normal , might still be dizzy , not get her full balance back. She might still have head tilts , and eyes movement. And , episode like friday night , would come back.

She was doing better at the clinic but not 100% back to herself. I'll know more later. If they can call me back if they don't , I'll drive there myself but would prefer to make sure I can pick her up (it's 40 kms from here)

It's not a pretty thing to see , your dog this way , I was so scared for her , but she was an extremely good girl through all of this. Even with the vets , they said she was a doll.

I can't wait to have her back home.
Old February 21st, 2010, 10:08 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Oh no, Frenchy

Sending Nelly lots of

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old February 21st, 2010, 10:10 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

That's a good sign, though, that she's improving, Frenchy I know it's hard not to worry about possibilities (I come from worrying stock, m'self ) But she's got youth and otherwise good health going for her, plus a devoted Mommy! If anything can pull her through, that certainly can!

Sending lots of for the both of you!!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old February 21st, 2010, 10:12 AM
ZiggyZuzuZoeyRaggzy&Keena

for the best possible results, that she is home today, and that she makes a full speedy recovery!!!!

Ginger and Hobo at the Bridge (Valentine's Day 2011) but NEVER forgotten <3...

"‎I have sent you on a journey to a land free from pain, not because
I did not love you, but because I loved you too much to force
you to stay" ♥ ♥

We do not have to wait for Heaven, to be surrounded by hope, love, and joyfulness.
It is here on earth and has four legs!
Old February 21st, 2010, 10:14 AM
-

The only good thing is ... I'll be home all week to take care of her , because I lost my job one week ago.

so far , 2010 has been pretty crappy for me , loosing Bailey , loosing my job , not being able to remortgage my house at a lower rate , because I lost my job , and now Nelly ... I was trying to keep my chin up but it's getting more and more difficult. Nelly was 100% top shape , why this now ?
Old February 21st, 2010, 10:18 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Because when it rains, it pours 2010 will get better...just focus on the tasks at hand, take it one day at a time, and you'll get through! We're all rootin' for you and Nelly!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old February 21st, 2010, 11:35 AM
One dog at a time...

Sending for Nelly and you!

RIP My Precious Kitty - Misty Margaret (long-hair calico) - 08/24/94-03/12/10
RIP Sweet Baby Girl - Lodi Sue (dachshund mix) -01/20/98-11/04/09
RIP My Itty Bitty - Trinket Joy (chihuahua mix) Puppy Mill Survivor rescued 10/00 died 01/22/02

Rescues will touch your heart & soul like no other!
Old February 21st, 2010, 11:41 AM

Sending prayers for Nelly and hugs and strength for you.

Mac was 14 when he had a vestibular episode. Scared me so badly as I know you can understand. He pulled through it. You are doing the right thing getting the supportive care. Mac's was idiopathic in nature and he improved over several days. Is there any chance of an ear infection? Sometimes ear infections can bring on a vestibular episode. You mentioned the side-to-side nystagmus. From my research, a horizontal movement typically carries a better prognosis than a vertical or rolling (circling) movement.

I found this website helpful when Mac was ill. There are posts from dog owners, some with happy endings, some with sad endings, but there is a lot of good info and some videos and links here.

http://lassiegethelp.blogspot.com/20...-light-on.html

You and Nelly are in my thoughts. Hope she can get back home soon.
Old February 21st, 2010, 11:52 AM
-

I can breathe now .... I was preparing to leave and they call me back. The vet said Nelly is almost 100% ok this morning !!!!!!!!

the only thing she still has is the eyes movements , but it's much better , the vet said she has to get very close to Nelly to notice it. She walks just fine and the test they did with the paws , they put the feet under and see if the dog can put the feet back in it's position on their own, which she had difficulty with Friday night , but she can now , without any problems.

vet said it was probably not brain inflammation because of the speedy recovery but they haven't ruled out a brain tumor. so it's either that or central vestibular syndrome. It's a wait and see situation , if it comes back , she'll need an MRI.

I am simply amaze about the speed of her recovery. From everything that I read , it was suppose to take from 1 to 3 weeks , that's probably going to be the case for her eyes , might not come back 100% but she can walk and eat and drink ....

I can only pick her up between 2 and 4 pm, I told the vet to be ready for me at 2:00

thanks you all for your good words
Old February 21st, 2010, 11:54 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottieDog View Post
Is there any chance of an ear infection? Sometimes ear infections can bring on a vestibular episode. You mentioned the side-to-side nystagmus. From my research, a horizontal movement typically carries a better prognosis than a vertical or rolling (circling) movement.
thank you ScottieDog, there's no ear infection , the vet also confirmed to me it was central vestibular , if not brain tumor.

Is Mac ok now ? Did it ever came back ?
Old February 21st, 2010, 11:58 AM
-

oh and ... I told them on friday , where Nelly was coming from , so she could be weary of strangers and scared to be there.

They all love her at the clinic (maybe that"s why they're making me wait to pick her up ) vet said Nelly wags her tail when someone walks by or talks to her , and that she's very "attachante" meaning , loveable !! She gets jumpy at noises but other wise , is fine.

I'm so proud of my girl !
Old February 21st, 2010, 12:15 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Awww Frenchy, it's breaking my heart that you are going through more crap. I so wish I could help you mf. It is so good to read Nelly is doing better. I am sending up huge ers that's the end of it. You don't need any other bad crap going on this year!!! Sending more and your way.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old February 21st, 2010, 12:55 PM
Geek Club CEO

Yay! Glad she's coming home soon and recovering so quickly! Atta girl, Nellie!!!:good vibes:
Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)
Old February 21st, 2010, 12:57 PM
Senior Contributor
Space Invaders Champion, Smack the Rabbit Champion

I am so glad that Nelly is better.

I know what a worry it is, and why it has to happen I don't understand

to you my friend and here's hoping things start looking up for you.

You and your fur family are in my

Owned by

Bree 12 year old GSD
Keesha 8 year old GSD
Cyrus 7 year old GSD

RIP: All my angels.
Old February 21st, 2010, 12:57 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I am so glad she is doing better

Nice bank , nothing like helping out those who need it most

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old February 21st, 2010, 01:20 PM
ZiggyZuzuZoeyRaggzy&Keena

Sounds like she is on the road to recovery!!!! Good for you Nelly

Frenchy they told me that it could happen again to Ginger and she has been good over two years now. Slight head tilt but otherwise her perfect crooked self Great news that she passed the "knuckle" test...very good sign.

I guess you know we will need pictures of her...just to make sure she is really home

Ginger and Hobo at the Bridge (Valentine's Day 2011) but NEVER forgotten <3...

"‎I have sent you on a journey to a land free from pain, not because
I did not love you, but because I loved you too much to force
you to stay" ♥ ♥

We do not have to wait for Heaven, to be surrounded by hope, love, and joyfulness.
It is here on earth and has four legs!
Old February 21st, 2010, 01:26 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

What a great update!!! She's going to be so happy to be home! Sending along more for a continued quick and complete recovery!!!

She's come so far--wagging her tail at the clinic staff and eating up the attention! You've done such a good job with her!

And I'll second that request for proof positive--pictures, please!

Old February 21st, 2010, 01:38 PM
Senior Contributor

Happy to hear the news, I have been so busy that a rarely come on but once a week I need my fill..so I am happy to hear that Nelly is ok...now we need to help you...what kind of work did you do or want to do and are you will to travel..
Old February 21st, 2010, 01:41 PM
Senior Contributor

Frenchy, I am so sorry you are having all of this fall on top of you.

I'm glad to hear Nelly is doing better. Hoping it's nothing serious. I wonder, can you do an MRI sooner and not wait until she may have another episode like that?
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old February 21st, 2010, 03:30 PM

YEA for Nelly!!!

So glad she is getting back to her normal self!

Don't let someone become a priority in your life when you are just an option in their life.
Old February 21st, 2010, 03:31 PM
-

Wow kiddo...it's not just raining, it's bucketing.

Nelly is obviously determined to get home if she is improving so quickly.
Old February 21st, 2010, 03:35 PM
Senior Contributor

Frenchy,2010 has been kind of a stinker for me too,but luckily not about my cats.
You know we all love Nelly,I certainly do and still hope to one day meet her and the rest of the puppers,but Nelly is very,very special.
There is no way Nelly can be seriously ill,you've had enough heartache and Nelly deserves to live a long happy life with you.
to both Nelly and you!
Old February 21st, 2010, 03:39 PM
Senior Contributor

Lots of prayers for you and Nelly, Frenchy.
Harvey the English Bulldog Extraordinaire
Old February 21st, 2010, 04:06 PM
-

We're back home ! And I am beyond happy !

I was told that she was "the star" at the clinic this week end every time I pick up one of my dogs at the vet , I always imagine them jumping into my arms , it rarely happens didn't even want the brownie I bought her at the doggy shop (next to the clinic , they have a "bakery" for dogs) she was still a bit out of it , only once home , did she showed me how happy she was to be back. Her eyes are still moving a bit but nothing like Friday night. She was a bit unstable when she got out of the car and into the house but has settled. She's not rock solid , but has no problem with the 3 carpeted stairs in the sun room. She's now on a comforter sleeping. and has eaten her brownie

I'm so happy and relieved to have my girl back home
Old February 21st, 2010, 04:08 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancientgirl View Post
can you do an MRI sooner and not wait until she may have another episode like that?
Of course I could but like I mentioned , it's $1000.00 and I just lost my job. Even the vet told me to wait until another episode because it might not come back at all ...
Old February 21st, 2010, 04:09 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

A doggie brownie!!!! Yum!

So glad she's safely home and feeling better! So does she have meds or does this just have to clear up by itself? You must be so beyond relieved

Old February 21st, 2010, 04:13 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
Nice bank , nothing like helping out those who need it most
I know ! I was pre approuved but now that I want to go for it , they would need to confirm one more time that I have a job. And I don't so ... my broker was looking at my file to see if there's anything he can do to help. But it has been almost a week and I'm still waiting for him to call back so ... I'm not holding my breath.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diandpat View Post
Great news that she passed the "knuckle" test...very good sign.
yes that's it , the knuckle test I'm so glad it only happened once to Ginger !

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpietra16 View Post
Happy to hear the news, I have been so busy that a rarely come on but once a week I need my fill..so I am happy to hear that Nelly is ok...now we need to help you...what kind of work did you do or want to do and are you will to travel..
I worked as a "claiman" at a car dealership. Many people know that I'm now looking for a job so they are keeping they ears and eyes open. What I would like to do now is same work but I'm registered as an independent worker , I would like to work from home , and do claims for 3-4 car dealers.
Old February 21st, 2010, 04:15 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
A doggie brownie!!!! Yum!

So glad she's safely home and feeling better! So does she have meds or does this just have to clear up by itself? You must be so beyond relieved
you bet I am relieved ! And that brownie ... omg you should see what they sell , cupcakes , cookies ... if you didn't know it was for dogs , you would eat it !!

Thank you everyone for the support , and one more thank you to my driver , LP , who was such a BIG help once again !!

I will get pics later , for now I'm letting her sleep
Old February 21st, 2010, 04:24 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Sleep sounds good.

Old February 21st, 2010, 04:32 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Wahoo for Nelly. Yum, brownies, lucky girl.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)