Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum

Old December 17th, 2005, 03:34 PM
Kitty Consort

Christmas Pet Peeves?

For all the joy this season brings... it can bring some aggravation with it too.

As much as we try not to stress, some is unavoidable.. and some things that others do - well they add to it.

Few things that get to me:

Dinner guests who show up way early - or those who keep everyone waiting for their arrival.

People who fail to acknowledge gifts that were not presented in person.

Shoppers in crowded malls who bump into you, and just keep on going. Excuse you.... I must be invisible .

And lastly.. people who "honk" to hurry you up while waiting for your parkling spot. Makes me want to slow down...

In a perfect world, none of this would happen. .
Old December 17th, 2005, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamrock
Shoppers in crowded malls who bump into you, and just keep on going. Excuse you.... I must be invisible .

AH - I have a solution for this problem - as soon as they bump into you, turn around and face their direction, then at the top of your lungs scream "OOOWWWW!!! That really felt great!! Can you do it again, please?"

Leaves them baffled, I tell you, and for at least a little while, more consciuos of where they are walking!
Old December 17th, 2005, 05:16 PM

LOL When somebody runs into me, I say "Merry Christmas!" Heh heh... I catch the flies with my honey... That way it doesn't ruin your day either...

What bugs me is when people are at a dinner party and they ask specifically for foods not on the menu and then don't even eat them.

Or when people bring stuff not on the menu without asking first.

When people try to outshine the host.

When people expect the host to be a maid.

When people show up for a dinner 3 hours late without any phone call or anything.

When people leave early without any prior notice. If they tell you in advance, "we'll come but we have to leave early" then fine. But when they just stand up halfway through and say "We have to be somewhere else", that's just rude.

Hmmm... I think that's all.

I also have a personal pet peeve, that I don't think anybody shares- I hate it when you give somebody a gift from the heart and they say "But I didn't get you anything". My goal in giving you a gift is to give you something from my heart, not to receive something in return. I don't really care if you brought something for me or not, I just wanted to do this for you. But I think people's pet peeves are the reverse of that situation...
Old December 17th, 2005, 05:28 PM
-

Mine is a general all the time pet peeve, just happens to be worse at christmas.
What I can't stand is when you are shopping and walking behind someone who just stops right in the middle of the walking isle making it imposible to go around them. This wouldn't be so bad if the place wasn't busy but at christmas expect that there is someone behind you heading in the same direction. Another that is similar is when you are heading down a product isle and there is someone standing right in the middle and doesn't move with an excuse me. Where are your manners.
Oh, and kids. It drives me nuts when kids are acting like wild animals and the parents just ignore it.
Old December 17th, 2005, 05:28 PM
Senior Contributor

Crowds.

Why are you people all out shopping when I am? Go home.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca
Old December 17th, 2005, 10:37 PM

Honestly, I love kids, but my biggest pet peeve is when parents allow their small children to walk the mall--and hold up the flow of traffic--during peak Christmas shopping times. It drives me batty!

Also, people who monopolize the sales people. Share the wealth (help) people!!!!
Old December 17th, 2005, 10:43 PM
Senior Contributor

The outlaws.

OOOPS!! I meant IN-laws.

'nuff said.

Adults who try to make Christmas about them. Wake up. Grow up. Christmas is for kids--and NO THAT DOESN"T MEAN YOU

Extended member of a dysfunctional family--(of course, I mean mine
who demand too much time at this busy time--hey, your lucky I still talk to you--relax. Enjoy life.

ummm, I think I'm done. .....for now.
Old December 17th, 2005, 10:50 PM

What do you mean, "about them"?
Old December 17th, 2005, 10:57 PM
Senior Contributor

I hate that I'm a pennyless student and I can't get anyone any gifts. I know it's not supposed to be about the gifts, but -- let's face it -- it usually is. I make home-made gifts (usually x-mas cookies) but I feel sheepish and stupid giving them out.
I wish I could buy my boyfriend something extravagant -- like a porsche or something -- well, he'll have to settle for cookies again this year!!!

Deep thought, by Jack Handey : "I think my new thing will be to try to be a real happy guy. I'll just walk around being real happy until some jerk says something stupid to me."
Old December 17th, 2005, 11:01 PM

Aww.. Marie-eve- you have to go to Costco! I got my man a $30 sweater there... Good for the financially challenged student...
Old December 17th, 2005, 11:05 PM
Senior Contributor

Prin--I mean they try to monopolize the day. Between myself and my husband's fmily we have a grand total of 5 littel kids. 4 on my side--1 on his.
Not a lot considering we are 16 adults and 3 sets of grandparents, and you would not believe the stupidities that go on. My husband and I just distance ourselves more and more every year the dumber it gets. I want my kids to have fun and to see me having fun--not growling.
Old December 17th, 2005, 11:07 PM

Oooh. Okay. I thought you meant that adults can't get in the spirit. But ya, I agree. It should be about making good memories for the kids.
Old December 17th, 2005, 11:17 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prin
Aww.. Marie-eve- you have to go to Costco! I got my man a $30 sweater there... Good for the financially challenged student...
Yeah, I love Costco. Unfortunetly, this year, 30$ is about 29,50$ too much!!

Deep thought, by Jack Handey : "I think my new thing will be to try to be a real happy guy. I'll just walk around being real happy until some jerk says something stupid to me."
Old December 17th, 2005, 11:18 PM

Breakfast in bed? Or like the angry lady on Jay Leno said, just put a bow on you. He'll want some from you anyway, so you may as well save the money.
Old December 17th, 2005, 11:28 PM
Honest Contributor

more holiday pet peeves... that stupid office party you have to show up at "to be a team player" when you absolutely do not feel like it and know it's always crappy and boring... what a waste of time. The perfume sample maniacs in the ground floor of La Baie, are they trying to kill us with the eye-stinging stench? give me a bottle of oxygen!... the boyfriend who doesn't lift a finger to help with the purchase & wrapping of all family xmas gifts - what am I, a maid?... the pressure to give gifts, and not feel cheap if they're inexpensive... sigh. i could SO skip alot of the pressures that go with the holidays...!

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
Old December 18th, 2005, 10:47 AM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

Well... I love what Christmas stands for not what it has become..

I personally think that home made gifts are far better than store bought ones... means the person took time, thought and effort into the making of the gift. The gift definitely came from the heart and was not some last minute panic of got to get something for so and so...

Christmas day to us means taking it easy... wrestling the bird into the oven as a team and preparing everything together. No one person does it all, it's a group effort. Christmas is for family and sharing and definitely a special time for small children so if something stresses you out about the holidays, eliminate it... we have over the years and it definitely makes for a far more enjoyable day! Of course, it helps that the inlaws ship out to Texas for the holidays so we don't have to see them!
Old December 18th, 2005, 11:18 AM

I must still be asleep, I can't really think of a real pet peeve right now but I'd like to make a couple of comments...

Marie-Eve: I loved it last year when a friend gave me some homemade Christmas cookies!! But I know what you mean because I was in that situation for a loooong time and it was very frustrating!

Technodoll: I don't get that thing about the boyfriend not helping. I'm not in a couple situation right now but even when I was, the deal was always the same: my family's gifts are my responsibility, your family's is your responsibility. We would help each other (go shopping together for most of the gifts and offer opinions, plus wrapping is a lot easier if you're 2 people) but there was no way I was going to have the final decision on my MIL's gift (among others)!

Now, I realize that if you have kids together, that doesn't apply, obviously. But you need to put your foot down, girl!

Lyne
Old December 18th, 2005, 03:35 PM
Kitty Consort

I agree with BMDluver - I'm always touched by homemade gifts! The person took the time and effort to make something personal for me.. whether a craft item, home baking ...whatever... I always appreciate this as a very special gift - made with their own hands, careful creativity and time to prepare it.
Old December 18th, 2005, 03:53 PM
Performance Spaniels

My winter peeve is the parking one... I have a carbureted engine. I can't turn on my car and just go. I stall out.

So I put my sister or whoever I'm with in the car.. turn it on.. take my time clearing the snow off it, and when sort of warm, finally go.

I've had people flip me off.. Make motions to rear end my car.. honk repeatedly.. Not the mall always,... anywhere.. Or people who get so annoyed they block me in and sit there so when I can finally go I have no where to go.. People suck..

Or at the mall yesterday.. so twit in her thirties was walking against the flow of traffic with a toddler wrapped around her middle. Screaching 'I have a child in my arms. You can move out of my way'
Excuse me? You could try politeness,.. I'd let you through if you were.. People let me by with an excuse me..

Or they stop in the middle of the mall to have a conversation so I can trip over them.. or they waddle at gaping speed.. Awesome you want to window shop.. I'd like ot make my visit brief.. I have a list.. And I'd like to not be in people's way myself..
Old December 18th, 2005, 03:58 PM
-

pet peeves

pet peeves;having to cook and serve everyone and not taking time to sit down and enjoy christmas.So this year,me and my sister decided to take it easy.I will cook the turkey in advance so my guests can bring some home.Dinner is going to be;pasta salads,potato salads,bread and cheeses,meat pie (from the store) and of course,desserts.But no way I am going to be stuck in the kitchen.We don't see eachother very often so it will be nice to be able to chat a bit with the rest of the family.And we only buy presents for kids.Anyway,living alone don't allow me to spend a lot.And is not in the spirit of christmas to full the credit cards.
Old December 20th, 2005, 12:21 PM
Senior Contributor

My biggest Christmas pet peeve is people who moan and complain about how much they have to do before Christmas,....um, come on people, you KNEW it was coming!

Other pet peeves are visitors who drop into OUR home and ask us to put the dogs outside ALL DAY so that they're not "bothered" by them. Um, excuse me, they live here, you don't!
Old December 20th, 2005, 12:57 PM
Senior Contributor

The traffic, the mean people, the rudeness....... all daily occurrances in massachusetts. Christmas isn't any different. there is a reason we're called "m*******s".

I do have some pet peeves though...

people who host parties for 30 people when their house only holds 10.

dashing through the snow... on unsanded, unsalted, unplowed roads.

Being told something is in stock and shipped when neither of the two are true.

When people go way over the agreed upon swap amount. your $75 gift makes my $15 one look stupid!

When cashiers chit-chat. less talking, more ringing! I don't have all day.

I'm sure there's alot more too...
Old December 20th, 2005, 05:21 PM
Senior Contributor

quote 'Adults who try to make Christmas about them. Wake up. Grow up. Christmas is for kids--and NO THAT DOESN"T MEAN YOU'

i hear ya, oh so painfully i do....

the worst is when ppl drive around the car park looking for a better park, but because their so slow they get in the way and you cant get to the good parks and their gone by the time you get there, i mean its 40 deg celcius out there, jsut take the next friggin park and get on with it, i swear ppl dont understand what 'their turn' means, in that its your friggin turn and get out of the way before i kill friggin you.