Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old February 20th, 2005, 01:55 PM
Resident Evil!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LL1
I think you mean preaching to the CONVERTED or preaching to the choir.Preaching to the perverted is very disturbing.Do a look up on dictionary.com and you will learn what that word means.
Actually, I mean 'preaching to the perverted', it's a double entendre. Perverted meaning - keen, already converted, etc...

I'm new here, and I'd like to make a difference. My methods for acquiring knowledge for my own edification are at times aggressive, I mean no harm, and most of the time I question within a statement. Occasionally I'll offer an opinionated view, this doesn't equate to me not being open to change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LL1
I disagree.Rescuing a dog and neutering/spaying it and placing it in a new home does constitute doing something.Many rescues also speak to the public through all kinds of media,paper,radio,television,magazines,websites etc.
I didn't mean to be disrespectful, I'm merely suggesting that it may not be enough. Breeders can be the key in the reduction of pet overpopulation. Allow me to make a proposal.

1 - target puppy mills through the education of people on the link between Pet shop purchases and puppy mills.
2 - education on Back yard Breeders.
3 - Reputable breeders begin offering pet quality animals at a reasonable price.
4 - Make humans accountable for their pets, via obligatory altering of animal, If they decide not to keep an animal for any reason other than medical, they are liable for the animals well being until a suitable home is found. Rescues need only get involved in medical situations.

I'm aware that this is not perfect, but it's a start. A written legal proposal to the proper officials espoused with continued lobbying may make a difference.

Mona,

You're welcome, and I agree, both breeds are great dogs alone, I see no need. In fact, I see more logic in the Labradoodle than the Labernois.

Dar.
Old February 20th, 2005, 01:59 PM
Senior Contributor

Where did you see that as a definition of the word?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogLover
Actually, I mean 'preaching to the perverted', it's a double entendre. Perverted meaning - keen, already converted, etc...
Old February 20th, 2005, 02:08 PM
Resident Evil!

It's not literal. Double entendre:an ambiguity with one interpretation that is indelicate. Let's try to stick to the issues, in lieu of trying to prove me wrong. I said what I said I know what it means.

Dar.
Old February 20th, 2005, 02:11 PM
Senior Contributor

Dar,I would like to add one more thing to that list.Puppies sold at pet stores.Something needs to be done about this.There have been numerous times that I have gone into the same pet store at my mall.I will preach and educate the people who are looking at them.I ask it they know what a puppymill is.For those who have said yes,I tell them that the pups they are looking at come from there.And for those who don't know,I tell them that they should do a search on puppymills before wanting to buy one from a pet store.

I was in there lastweek.I played dumb and asked the workers there a ton of questions.Then I gave them answers they didn't like to hear.

The purebreds come with no registration papers.So I told them that under the CKC pedigree act,it is illegal to sell a purebred without papers.I asked if the parents have been health and genetic tested,x-rayed,are the sire and dam champions or titled.And so on.All answers were no.So I told them they are selling pups from puppy mills/byb's.And I told them that I was going to everything in my power to have them never sell pups again.After all this,the people started to walk out......
Old February 20th, 2005, 02:20 PM
Resident Evil!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mona_b

Dar,I would like to add one more thing to that list.Puppies sold at pet stores.Something needs to be done about this.There have been numerous times that I have gone into the same pet store at my mall.I will preach and educate the people who are looking at them.I ask it they know what a puppymill is.For those who have said yes,I tell them that the pups they are looking at come from there.And for those who don't know,I tell them that they should do a search on puppymills before wanting to buy one from a pet store.

I was in there lastweek.I played dumb and asked the workers there a ton of questions.Then I gave them answers they didn't like to hear.

The purebreds come with no registration papers.So I told them that under the CKC pedigree act,it is illegal to sell a purebred without papers.I asked if the parents have been health and genetic tested,x-rayed,are the sire and dam champions or titled.And so on.All answers were no.So I told them they are selling pups from puppy mills/byb's.And I told them that I was going to everything in my power to have them never sell pups again.After all this,the people started to walk out......
I believe that you mentioned this before, I tried it yesterday , I love to see people squirm. One dog at a time, one Human at a time. I'd enjoy getting together with some of the rescues around here, their are several. Lucky is just around the corner, Foxy's is not to far away, maybe get some heat going.

Dar.
Old February 20th, 2005, 02:53 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
I believe that you mentioned this before, I tried it yesterday , I love to see people squirm. One dog at a time, one Human at a time. I'd enjoy getting together with some of the rescues around here, their are several. Lucky is just around the corner, Foxy's is not to far away, maybe get some heat going.

Dar.
Good for you..... ....Keep it up....I guess we are the ones who have to educate these people at the pet stores.

At some of the meetings at the CKC,we have been seriously trying to figure out how we can go about making sure that pups/kittens are not sold in the pet stores.
Old February 20th, 2005, 02:59 PM
Resident Evil!

Petland, gets their dogs through head office, they are now sold as 'type' not purebred, interesting! The venders and managers have no Idea of where the dogs come from prior to head office, or do they?

Pet shops should not be allowed to sell dogs, cats, ferrets, etc..., with an exception to lizards, providing that they have staff knowledgable about the critters in question and that they sell captive bred only.(even this I'm uncomfortable with)

Dar.
Old February 20th, 2005, 03:03 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh I'm sure they know.

The pet store that I do my education seminars ,call their pups Hybreds.And can you believe they have a sign stating the difference.
Old February 20th, 2005, 03:05 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Lucky is just around the corner, Foxy's is not to far away,
If you want to help save lives, would you like to foster or adopt a cat? We have many now in desperate need - all young and gorgeous tom cats left out in the bitter cold or dumped, and not one of them neutered. To foster,all that is needed is a spare bedroom, a willingness to bring them to our adoption events and to allow potential adopters to view them in your home by appointment.

You can see them all in the Adopt a Cat forum and if you want to help, call Debbie at (450)424-0455.
Old February 20th, 2005, 03:59 PM

Petland here in Niagara gets there puppies from a mill in Dunville, they dont really ever sell purebreds and they are all like $1500 with financing available. YUCK!
Old February 20th, 2005, 04:06 PM
Senior Contributor

PJ"s in Toronto was selling a Shep/Collie for $899

How insane is that?
Old February 20th, 2005, 04:10 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

PJ's is a horrible place !!
I know quite a few people who have bought dogs there, and every single one has had alot of medical issues, and or serious aggression problems!!

I go to the one in my area quite often, and ask the staff alot of questions to fluster them in front of potential customers. they get so angry sometimes.

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old February 20th, 2005, 04:15 PM
Resident Evil!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyRescue
If you want to help save lives, would you like to foster or adopt a cat? We have many now in desperate need - all young and gorgeous tom cats left out in the bitter cold or dumped, and not one of them neutered. To foster,all that is needed is a spare bedroom, a willingness to bring them to our adoption events and to allow potential adopters to view them in your home by appointment.

You can see them all in the Adopt a Cat forum and if you want to help, call Debbie at (450)424-0455.
We have already adopted a cat, and a Dog. My avatar is Bowtie, and Tobias is posted in my intro page and we have another puppy on the way. My son has allergies, and the fact that he tolerates Bow is inexplicable.(dander thing we were told) But as I mentioned in my PM, I'm sure there are other ways in which I could serve some purpose to you.

Dar.
Old February 20th, 2005, 04:42 PM

Re: the Labernois (Labernese):
What I'd like to know is what was their reasoning for mixing these two breeds? I mean, does the Berner have some inherent trait that makes it ideal as a service dog, but doesn't work in a Berner's body?
Old February 20th, 2005, 04:47 PM
Senior Contributor

PJs also sold Labradoodles for $1700,I know of one in rescue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mona_b
PJ"s in Toronto was selling a Shep/Collie for $899

How insane is that?
Old February 20th, 2005, 04:48 PM
Senior Contributor

No.What you posted was incorrect and inappropriate for a family site.You proved yourself wrong,that's not my job.
Quote:
It's not literal. Double entendre:an ambiguity with one interpretation that is indelicate. Let's try to stick to the issues, in lieu of trying to prove me wrong. I said what I said I know what it means.

Dar.
Old February 20th, 2005, 05:18 PM
Resident Evil!

You need to win, okay, you win!

Double entendre is acceptable writing, perverted is a word look it up. It is neither vulgar nor a curse word. Are you opposed to the term 'bitch' with regard to a female dog? One can even have a perverse sense of humour. Oh well! Can we move on now, or do you need to 'nit pic' some more? PM me with your gripe.

Have you objected to the thread titled, 'What a bitch' ?(or did you miss the pun?)
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=3197

You can stop the 'Joan of Arc' act now!

Dar.
Old February 20th, 2005, 05:23 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
One can even have a perverse sense of humour.

Sooooo true.......
Old February 20th, 2005, 05:27 PM
Senior Contributor

Re: The purebreds come with no registration papers.So I told them that under the CKC pedigree act,it is illegal to sell a purebred without papers.I asked if the parents have been health and genetic tested,x-rayed,are the sire and dam champions or titled.And so on.All answers were no.So I told them they are selling pups from puppy mills/byb's.And I told them that I was going to everything in my power to have them never sell pups again.After all this,the people started to walk out......

Well done Mona!!!
Old February 20th, 2005, 06:00 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberKitten
Re: The purebreds come with no registration papers.So I told them that under the CKC pedigree act,it is illegal to sell a purebred without papers.I asked if the parents have been health and genetic tested,x-rayed,are the sire and dam champions or titled.And so on.All answers were no.So I told them they are selling pups from puppy mills/byb's.And I told them that I was going to everything in my power to have them never sell pups again.After all this,the people started to walk out......

Well done Mona!!!
Thank you CK......

I can be a Biotch when the need arises....
Old February 20th, 2005, 06:03 PM
Senior Contributor

I do know the word, and did look it up as well.It was inappropriate and incorrect in your usage.You will not admit that.That's fine,clearly it's an issue for you.
Quote:
You need to win, okay, you win!

Double entendre is acceptable writing, perverted is a word look it up. It is neither vulgar nor a curse word. You can stop the 'Joan of Arc' act now!

Dar.
Old February 20th, 2005, 06:20 PM
Resident Evil!

per·vert·ed ( P ) Pronunciation Key (pr-vûrtd)
adj.
1 - Deviating from what is considered right and correct: a perverted idea of justice.
2 - Of, relating to, or practising sexual perversion.
3 - Marked by misinterpretation or distortion: a perverted translation of an epic poem.

Where do you see anything wrong in this? Do you really want to continue this silly crusade?

Again I ask, have you addressed this:
Quote:
Have you objected to the thread titled, 'What a bitch' ?(or did you miss the pun?)
For the benefit of others who want to discuss, can we please end the bickering?

Meow,
Dar.
Old February 20th, 2005, 06:22 PM
Senior Contributor

Lucky did a great post.So to interrupts regular programing and risk being off topic, please!If you love dogs,or cats,support rescue!If you love a special breed,help rescue!Rescues ALWAYS need donations,fosters,volunteers,home checkers,transporters!PLEASE help dogs in need!All breed rescues are always overwhelmed,and popular purebred rescues are also!If you love the breed,help rescue!!!!!!!!I can post rescues in your area,or for your breed,please, please help!It's easy to talk about rescue,how about really help?
Old February 20th, 2005, 06:23 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh for geezes sake,give it up.

My 17 year old daughter uses that word....OOOOOOOOOO,I better wash her mouth out with soap.....
Old February 20th, 2005, 09:50 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
2 - education on Back yard Breeders
Okay, Dar - now I'm scratching my head. You propose education about backyard breeders so I assume you do not approve of them, yet aren't you buying a puppy from one?
Old February 20th, 2005, 10:08 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

ummmmmm.........interesting......

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

Old February 20th, 2005, 10:11 PM
Resident Evil!

No dear, not everyone who breeds dogs are backyard breeders. The parents are health certified and have a pedigree and so on and so on. I had to go through an interview and sign a contract. The only reason I got a puppy is because a friend of mine is their neighbour and gave me a good recommendation.

Sheesh, that's twice you put words into my mouth. Third times a charm.

You guys do have trouble keeping on topic, again, if you feel the need to be right, be my guest, I'm secure enough within myself to stand by my convictions, without having the need to be right all the time.

Is this about me not wanting to foster cats because of my sons allergies, yes we have a cat, and if you'd like to contact his doctor I'd be more than willing to oblige. Passive aggression is so unbecoming.

Oh and I explored the rescue avenue prior to making my decision.

Quote:
Okay, Dar - now I'm scratching my head.
Get a flea collar, I did, it works wonders.

Meow,
Dar.
Old February 20th, 2005, 10:46 PM
Senior Contributor

A simple question brought on this barrage of hostility and sarcasm? Hmmm...

What words did I put in your mouth please? YOU told us these people have 4 dogs and are pumping out two litters a year. Why? For what purpose? What health testing has been done? And pedigrees mean nothing unless the dogs who are being bred have championships in something.

You said:
Quote:
you want to know what makes me sick? People who sit around and whine about pet overpopulation and don't have the cahonas to do anything about it.
Are people who buy from backyard breeders who are partly responsible for the overpopulation included among those who make you sick?

I certainly have no hard feelings against anyone who doesn't wish to foster and that comment was low and uncalled for. I merely suggested the fostering because YOU said you wanted to help, dear.
Old February 20th, 2005, 10:52 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Old February 20th, 2005, 11:01 PM
Resident Evil!

1 - First you accused me of saying that ' Mira was dumping dogs ', I never said that. 2 - Then the BYB remark. Each female has a litter a year, I've already spoken with their Vet, and I have an appointment when I pick up the puppy(set up by the breeder). Furthermore this litter was the last for the female in question, but hey, whatever floats your boat.

Quote:
Are people who buy from backyard breeders who are partly responsible for the overpopulation included among those who make you sick?
I'm rethinking that one. But for now, people who alienate those who wish to help, definately don't make the A-List. So, continue making your assumptions, your entitled to an opinion.

Oh and your pal that accused me of using foul language, wonders never cease.

Quote:
I certainly have no hard feelings against anyone who doesn't wish to foster and that comment was low and uncalled for. I merely suggested the fostering because YOU said you wanted to help, dear.
1 - Wanting to help, doesn't mean I want a zoo. 2 - one low blow deserves another.

Meow, scratch scratch,
Dar.