Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum > Movies - T.V. - Videos

Old July 9th, 2009, 08:54 AM
I'm a softy

Whale Wars

Anyone watch this show? It is on now, I have not been able to see it before because I did not have that channel, but I have been able to watch it for a bit now, and have seen the first 3 episodes of that season.

I was not sure what to think last week when I thought they would attack the Japanese as they were looking for their man overboard, but they offered to help, wow!

So I have the utmost respect for the Sea Shepherds.. I have to thank them for stepping in and doing so much to protect these animals when no one else will.

They say the Japanese will take over 900 minke whales, the smallest Baleen what, that was never over hunted before because of it's size, but the Japenese threatens to make its numbers decrease as the other larger baleen whale species has. The will also take over 50 fin whales, the second largest whale.

There is a clause in the ban on whale hunting that allows a certain number to be taken for research, and the group doing the killing can set their own numbers, so the Japanese go in disguising as they are doing research, but we know they are not, they are processing the whales on board for the sale of their meat. I have seen shows where they go undercover and find even blue whale meat being sold in Japan, hidden away.. There is NO WAY anyone would need to take numbers like this to weigh stomach contents, you can also see them on board the nishin maru (sp?) slicing up the whales. It is the sickest thing.

Anyone seen all of the shows? Opinions?
Old July 9th, 2009, 08:15 PM
-

I got Shaw satellite 2 weeks ago , because of darn switch to digital ... Shaw had a big promotion in my area so I took it. I only have basic channels though :sad:

BUT , Animal Planet is free this month and I watched Whale Wars last week , and some bits of it this week. Last week show was awesome , I couldn't believe how far they got in the ice OMG !!!
Old July 9th, 2009, 08:41 PM
I'm a softy

yes animal planet is free for me too ))))) that is why I am watching it, this process of moving, we don't have expressvu anymore, just digital cable, but not animal planet, I am happy, I was hoping for new animal cop shows, but I have seen them all... moving again this month, then will get expressvu again as we will be in the country again.. I hope... going to look at a house next couple of days
Old July 10th, 2009, 08:14 AM
Senior Contributor
Space Invaders Champion, Smack the Rabbit Champion

Yes, I have been watching this show. All the people on the ship are volunteers and they actually do put their lives on the line. My hats are off to them, as it is very dangerous work. Having said that, I am sure that they have saved countless whales.

Owned by

Bree 12 year old GSD
Keesha 8 year old GSD
Cyrus 7 year old GSD

RIP: All my angels.
Old July 10th, 2009, 08:19 AM
Senior Contributor

I can't bring myself to watch this show. I saw a commercial of one being killed and dragged on to the ship. I just can't watch that.

I do however have so much respect and admiration for those people though. They really do put their lives on the line to stop those Japanese ships from getting at some of the whales. I wish something could be done to put more pressure on them to stop killing so many whales. There is no need to kill the numbers they do. Just like killing sharks just for their fins. It's appalling.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old July 10th, 2009, 09:39 AM
Senior Contributor

This is an amazing show with some very brave people.

Goes to show you that there are amazing people in this world.
Old July 10th, 2009, 11:32 AM

I cant watch this show either, i get too depressed. :sad: I am very happy that there are people out there fighting for the whale's.
Old July 23rd, 2009, 06:49 PM
Senior Contributor

I firmly believe that if whales cease to exist..then so shall we.
:sad:
Wendellan~ Feline~ 10(ish)
Theedee~Feline~10(ish)
"Da-Goob"~ APBT/Dogo x (5-6ish)

"My Pitbulls are better behaved than your kids!" (my favorite bumper sticker)
Old July 24th, 2009, 11:46 AM
~Cat Servent~

I saw promos for this show, but after watching the movie Sharkwater (another good eye opener) I don't think I can handle the cruelty. I got so upset at seeing them take the shark fins and through them back in, still alive but unable to swim, I got so upset I got sick to my stomach. I know that other cultures don't see the cruelty in that but I sure do, and I am terrified of sharks. It makes me think so much less of other cultures, even though I know it isn't the entire culture but a band of rotten individuals.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old July 25th, 2009, 08:15 AM
I'm a softy

So far, this series, there has been no shots of any whales being hurt. By the promo's I believe that near the end of the series that a whale is killed, but that has not happened yet, or next week.. I would not want to watch it either, but I don't want to not see it, and pretend it does not exist either... It is very eye opening to watch these people and what they are willing to do to try and stop the whaling.

So next week for sure is safe to watch.. It does not show any whales, just films the people, you wont see any whales being harmed.
Adoptee Prada crazy dog extrodinaire
Tickles Tortie cat the owns my daughter
Old July 25th, 2009, 09:35 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
BUT , Animal Planet is free this month and I watched Whale Wars last week ,
Panic is starting to sets in .... I will be loosing animal planet in a few days :sad: noooooooooooo

Been loving one show in peticular : "Underdog to Superdog" where they take a dog from shelter , one that nobody wants , and turn this dog around and find a wonderful family to adopt. I loooove that show
Old July 25th, 2009, 09:36 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by lUvMyLaB<3 View Post
I believe that near the end of the series that a whale is killed,
:sad: :sad: :sad:
Old July 25th, 2009, 02:39 PM
-

Been meaning to ask .... what are those bottles they are trying to throw on the bad guys boats ? Do they contain messages ?

And why can't they do this from the mother boat anymore ? Why can they only use the Gemini ?
Old July 25th, 2009, 07:57 PM
I'm a softy

It is buteric acid. Rancid butter, makes it slippery and terrible to work because the smell will make you puke.. makes them not be able to go to that part of the boat for a few days.. They cannot use the big boat because they sail under the Dutch flag, they have been told by the powers that be that they cannot through things from the Steve Irwin to another vessle. Being the smart man he is Paul found a loophole and is using the small boats to throw things.

I LOVE that show too!! my fav so far is that poor baby! The yorkie!!! such a sad story, and goes to a little girl! That will LOVE her o much! what a great life that yorkie has! and the doghouse/playhouse they built them is SOOO cool!! I LOVE that one I could watch it 100 times. For some reason, my daughter and I are REALLY loving meerkat manor.. poor flower
Adoptee Prada crazy dog extrodinaire
Tickles Tortie cat the owns my daughter
Old July 25th, 2009, 08:01 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lUvMyLaB<3 View Post
For some reason, my daughter and I are REALLY loving meerkat manor.. poor flower
I cried buckets when Flower died.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

Old August 2nd, 2009, 02:55 PM
-

Quote:
Panic is starting to sets in .... I will be loosing animal planet in a few days :sad: noooooooooooo
don't tell anyone but ,,,,, it's August 2 and I still have Animal Planet

woohooo !!!!
Old August 2nd, 2009, 04:41 PM
Senior Contributor

I have always admired what the people on the Sea Shepard do and for sure,they are risking their own lives to make an impact on these Japanese killers.
I have not been able to watch it,because it will give me nightmares.:sad:but I know what it is all about.
There is so much cruelty going on in our Oceans,mostly perpetrated by Asian countries and we allow it,except for the few brave people on the Sea Shepard,nothing will be done to prevent this outrage.
Old May 3rd, 2010, 09:20 PM
-

3 whales died in tonight's episode , and the show is not over ....
Old May 4th, 2010, 09:06 AM
-

Quote:
3 whales died in tonight's episode , and the show is not over ....
a fourth one was killed , and they filmed it all from the sea shepherd's helicopter , it was so upsetting I can't believe these killings are "legal"
Old May 4th, 2010, 09:17 AM
Senior Contributor

I don't get the channel, but I read the captain's blog reguarly! Frenchy, check out my facebook page, I have a recent interview of him posted. He's such a fantastic and interesting speaker.
Old May 4th, 2010, 09:21 AM
Senior Contributor

I can't watch that show. It's just beyond upsetting.

The arrogance of the human race astounds me. What makes some people think they can freely just take what they can from this planet, including the wildlife. Apart from the fact whales have the right to live without the danger of being so cruelly killed, but have they not thought about the repercussions of killing them off as a species?

Old May 4th, 2010, 09:33 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by poodletalk View Post
I don't get the channel, but I read the captain's blog reguarly! Frenchy, check out my facebook page, I have a recent interview of him posted. He's such a fantastic and interesting speaker.
I just joined their facebook page and I'll read their website later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancientgirl View Post
but have they not thought about the repercussions of killing them off as a species?
Don't want to sound racist but the japanese couldn't care less. They do have the right to kill a few for research (which IMO , shouldn't even be ok) but they are clearly using this as an undercover to butcher them and sell parts of the whales for big big profits.
Old May 4th, 2010, 09:37 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Don't want to sound racist but the japanese couldn't care less. They do have the right to kill a few for research (which IMO , shouldn't even be ok) but they are clearly using this as an undercover to butcher them and sell parts of the whales for big big profits.
Unfortunately, some cultures feel differently about animals and don't see anything useful in them other than any profit they can make. I wish more countries would pressure them into stopping this.

Old May 4th, 2010, 03:46 PM
Senior Contributor

Frenchy,the research excuse is pure BULL****
Absolutely not true
You do not have to be a racist not to agree with what is going on,it just so happens the whale-killers are Japanese.
I have not been able to bring myself to watch the show,it's in the same line as OUR Seal-Hunt and the Chinese killing sharks just for their fins,it's a horror for sure,but no one can,or will stop it.
I salute the Sea-Shepard and crew for at least trying!!
Old June 10th, 2010, 03:34 PM
-

New season started last night , anyone saw it ?

They have this new boat call the Ady Gil , simply AWESOME ! unfortunately ....from the previews of next episode and what I could read on FB , it will get destroyed

Bob Parker again , made a big donation

oh and ... they have a couple of cute guys now
Old June 10th, 2010, 03:42 PM
Senior Contributor

again Frenchy,I cannot watch it,it just makes me so angry and sad,but I certainly give kudos to those trying to,if not able to stop this,at least causing them trouble
Old June 10th, 2010, 03:55 PM
Senior Contributor

I don't get the channel, but I read Captain Paul Watson's blog on facebook. Yes, his boat does get destroyed and Bob Barker donates one million dollars to his cause. Also, the bass's ( I think), of the Red Hot Chili Peppers donates money as well.

I won't go on about the series....

BUT, starting today, Captain Paul Watson starts a new campaign, Blue Rage!
He's going to stop Blue Fin Tuna Poaching in the Mediterrian. Blue Fin Tuna is in HUGE demand since it's used to make sushi. (Again, Japan is one of the main buyers of Blue Fin Tuna)

Animal Planet will probably turn his new campaign into another series...if anyone wants to read about the Blue Rage read about it here: http://www.seashepherd.org/news-and-...-100609-1.html
Old June 10th, 2010, 04:00 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Frenchy,the research excuse is pure BULL****
Yes, it is! It was discovered by the Director of the Cove, that a famous Sushi place in the United States was using whale meat for their Sushi and trying to pass it off as Tuna.

The Director of the Cove and Captain Paul Watson brought the whale meat to the Media's attention, the sushi place has closed down.

Basically, the killing of the whale...is being sold as meat. Yesterday on CNN they had an interesting article about that, how Japan is selling whale meat. I uploaded the article on my facebook page.
Old July 2nd, 2010, 08:34 AM
Senior Contributor

A recent video about the future of our whales

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pe5AaTTEULc