Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old May 17th, 2010, 04:43 PM

when do you know its time to put your pet to sleep?

I am sturggling with whether or not to put my dog down. He is an 11 yr old lab shepherd mix and is starting to go downhill. he has very bad hips, can hardly make it up and down stairs and takes him a minute to even get up when laying down. he has been on steriods for lumps/tumors in his throat and sometimes has a hard time breathing. the lump in his throat is starting to come back. his left eye is also starting to go blind. my vet told me to ask myself if i could live like him with that quality of life? i just dont know if i can make the decision. please help
Old May 17th, 2010, 04:57 PM
Senior Contributor

I find The HHHHHMM Scale to be the most helpful for determining a pet's quality of life.

Pawspice care is also something to look into. It's like hospice for humans, designed to make the pet's remaining days as comfortable as possible. Ask your vet what options there are for pain medications for your doggy's situation.

Remember that your pup loves you no matter what, and as difficult as it will be to make that final decision, you do it out of your love for him. Listen to your heart, and listen to his.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old May 17th, 2010, 05:03 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Whatever your decision make it with love in your heart and a clear conscience.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old May 17th, 2010, 05:12 PM
Catlover2

Having a beloved pet euthanized is one of the most difficult decisions you'll ever make. Letting a pet go on too long in suffering because one can't bear to let go I have found to be worse than euthanizing too soon--as I have experienced both. Hope this link will help you make a decision.

http://www.messybeast.com/euth2.htm
Old May 17th, 2010, 06:25 PM
Senior Contributor

There's no easy answer to that. If he's in pain all the time and meds don't seem to do anything for it may be time, but only you can decide if his quality of life is too bad or not.

A lot of older dogs have good and bad days. For me, if the bad days outnumber the good days it's probably a good indication that it's time. But I'd look for alternatives, like pain relief and such before you decide on something like that.
Old May 17th, 2010, 08:34 PM

Try all medications available for your dog, for pain and anything else he may need before you make any decisions. This way you will always know you did everything possible and there were no other options. Also, spoil him and spend as much time possible with him, he'll love it.
Old May 18th, 2010, 06:50 AM
One dog at a time...

I am so sorry that you and your boy are having to go through this. I had to make this decision several months ago and although it was one of the hardest decisions I have ever had to make, I know it was the right one. You will worry that you will make the decision too soon or too late. Just watch your dog, he will let you know when he is ready - I saw it in my Lodi's eyes.
Like you, I came on this board asking the same question and got completely honest answers that helped me make the final decision (that I already knew the answer to in my head although my heart didn't agree).
Just love your boy and, although you think you don't know the answer, you will know when it is time. I know everyone says that "you will know" and I fought that but you WILL know. Trust your instincts. This is the final gift you can give him. Take care - we all know how you feel and will cry along with you.

RIP My Precious Kitty - Misty Margaret (long-hair calico) - 08/24/94-03/12/10
RIP Sweet Baby Girl - Lodi Sue (dachshund mix) -01/20/98-11/04/09
RIP My Itty Bitty - Trinket Joy (chihuahua mix) Puppy Mill Survivor rescued 10/00 died 01/22/02

Rescues will touch your heart & soul like no other!